Trailer

Started by Anonymous, January 31, 2012, 21:57

Anonymous

QuoteEven if it does need to be braked, it would be very easy to use the existing rear calipers + cables to make a braked trailer.

Not if Ive flogged em!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I recon its got to be under 200 kg with the power pack removed. My current breaker is black and light rear, so no good. Ideally id like a red with frontal.
Just got to keep an eye out.

uktotty

Not really relevant what is weight with a towing rating of 0 it's still ilegal

Anonymous

And where did you glean your info, councillor?

uktotty

m http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp#tab1 m

Toyota   MR-2   1.8 Roadster   2001 -    975   1200   Unsuitable for towing   -   -

aaronjb

Quote from: "dick2ski"And where did you glean your info, councillor?

It's written on the VIN plate, isn't it?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

uktotty

Anonymous

Quoterules are not "rules" but guidelines which have no substance in law.

SteveJ

Quote from: "dick2ski"
Quoterules are not "rules" but guidelines which have no substance in law.

I'd love to be in the public gallery when you try that one in court   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

OK I know that officially the MR2 is not suitable for towing but what are the reasons for this zero rating? Is it the rear engine/drive set up? Light weight or lack of solid stuff to connect towing equipment to? Or something else?

Anonymous

Ive been groping around for info, and there is little solid stuff around. Seems it may require a unique number though, which is handy as the vin number is printed in the engine bay.

Ive no intention to wind anybody up, but a genuine interest in making a trailer. How did all the guys in the pics above do it?

Id also like to do it safely and without causing any risk to others. I will, no doubt carry out a risk assessment and reduce any risk in the usual way.

s12vea

Looking good so far d1ckski!! Be an interesting project if you can make road legal and also if it matches your current "2" in terms of colour etc.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

smarty72

You can't tow with a two, but I thought D!ck was going to tow the trailer with his van so it's not really relevant.   s:? :? s:?
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

Anonymous

QuoteYou can't tow with a two

Why not? You can tow with a Gold Wing, so why not a 2?

smarty72

Quote from: "dick2ski"
QuoteYou can't tow with a two

Why not? You can tow with a Gold Wing, so why not a 2?

Mr T developed and built it and for some reason gave it a zero towing rating, as to why you will have to ask them.

I think if you decide to adapt and tow with the MR2 it will be fine, as long as nothing goes wrong.  If it does all go wrong though you might be on a sticky wicket!

Anonymous

Thanks mate. Im pig headed, I know.

aaronjb

Pretty sure you'd render your insurance void, too, if you were found towing with a car with a 0Kg type approval towing weight.

Have fun in court!  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

smarty72

I suppose it was never going to be a selling point for the car. Probably just arse covering on their part, easier to give it a zero rating and forget about it safe in the knowledge that they're covered.

Anonymous

Dear Swiftcover,
I hope to build and tow a lightweight trailer with this car. It will have a tow bar and appropriate electrics fitted by a qualified auto engineer. Would this have an affect on my policy please?

aaronjb

Have you checked what the maximum train weight & maximum towing weights printed on the VIN are? If so, and assuming (as I suspect will be the case) you'll be outside of these limits .. what will your answer to the police be if & when they stop you for overloading your vehicle?

[edit] I strongly suspect you're just trolling us at this point, because you didn't strike me as the kind of person who would deliberately try to cause trouble for yourself.. so I'll give up trying to talk sense into you at this point.

Anonymous

QuoteThank you for your e-mail.

If you have fully comprehensive cover with Swiftcover, we will cover a caravan (maximum 23 feet long) / trailer Third Party only whilst being towed by the insured vehicle.

Please note - that we do not cover the contents of the caravan / trailer.

Thats how interested they were. I included my policy number for the 2 in the title.

Got a donor car here, but its black. Might chop it up if I get time.

normanh

Page 169 onwers handbook clearly states Toyota do not recomend towing with a MR2.

norman

Johnny626

Markb

Can't see towing a small camping trailer or cycle carrier doing much harm........i'm sure Honda Goldwings are not approved for towing trailers either...lol  ST Mondeo's cant officially tow either...but they do.

Here's the US bars for a 2.

m http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=twosru ... 95&bih=609 m

Tags: