Flip Keys!

Started by mr2andy, February 15, 2012, 21:14

mr2andy

Hi Guys,Ive found this on ebay,i was wondering if this would work it says it has a toyota blank,i think ive done the link correctly i hope anyway  s:? :? s:?  
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250988140181?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1054

Cheers Andy

onion86

Looks like that's a TOY43 blade which won't fit the MR2 unfortunately, I believe it's TOY41 you require
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Treboeth

It`s a Toy43 I contacted the seller last week and he should be letting me know if he can supply the Toy41 blanks.

Anonymous

Is ther much difference? The cross section looks right.

onion86

I thought the same thing a couple of years ago... Here's one I made earlier, quite different, a lot thinner and don't even fit in the barrel  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Thanks Stu.

StuC

As an aside I have bought one of these and I am seeing what it takes to modify the case and an original key (as my plastic fob broke) to get the 2 to work together.
I'll post some results soon  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Anonymous

I understand that the blade we need is a bit wider, and wont go in the flip case.

*andy*

They don't exist, I even contacted a few manufacturers in China through Alibaba who said they get requests for them but in not enough quantity to make!

I actually made my own from the Toy43 flip shell and a standard MR2 key. It requires some dremelling and then you need to find a way of fixing the two bits of metal together (I used super glue - lasted a while but is no longer in one piece!) I was going to find a more permanent solution but never found time.

If anyone is handy and wants to have a go I still have some spare Toy43 flip keys (Think I have about 5)

Anonymous

How much do you want  for a couple, Andy?

iPap

I'd be interested in one!
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

Anonymous

I think a solution may be to drill,tap and grubscrew the pieces together maybe?

Anonymous

Braise?

*andy*

How does £5 posted compare to ebay? Anyone interested? I will donate it to MR2ROC minus postage costs! I have had them a while and would like to see them used for the intended purpose!

Can be flexible on the price if people aren't interested, just thought the club deserves something back  :-) :-) :-)

I have 4 available by the way!

E

Andy how does the original blade fit to the key, does the Toy 41 blade physically fit in there by this I mean when the key is closed is there room in the key body for it, which ones have you got any pics or links, ive been wanting one of these for ages so if its doable I would like to give it a go.

*andy*

There is room with some modification, i got a stanley knife blade and just shaved a bit of plastic off either side. It wasn't noticeable. I was going to post some pics and show where I got to! I just need to find it!  :-) :-) :-)  Thought it was with the unopened flip keys!

It will definitely all take a bit of messing around, you will need to disassemble the flip shell, remove the blade from the metal holder, butcher up a spare MR2 key blade to resemble the shape of the base of the flip key, then find a way of fixing it.  With my attempt, the attachment of the key blade to the flip key mechanism didn't look OEM as it was a bit messy. However when closed you couldn't tell!

redarrow

The flip with blade toy41 is not in production yet.

I asked around 30 members last weekend.

You could ask a main dealer, to alter the key for you, but that means finding the correct chines flip key maker.

regards redarrow.

ps. i am sure that someone with a wig,mig,arch wielder, can pop of a toy43 blade and replace with a toy41 blade, where all have to wait and see.

maybe you can get a key cut with toy41,then cut the key blade at the very top off, then get the flip and cut the blade off at the top, know go to the shop and get a welders glue.

here example only(Don't no the ebay user, only showing as a example of product.)
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-B-Weld-Industrial-Strength-Adhesive-JB-Cold-Auto-Weld-/120858181714?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item1c23b58052

glue the key toy41 back on.

done.

good luck , if the key brakes in the door your respectability not mine, it a idea only.
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

E

Going by what Ive seen so far on youtube there should be a very small cotter pin near the end of the blade, it should tap out hen its a matter of cutting the new Toy 41 blade to fit then replace the pin, fiddly but should be doable.

Anonymous

andy put me down for one. i have even got a broken key perfect for this and a mig welder if needed lol. ill pm you regarding payment

Anonymous

It cant be that hard to mill out some of these from scratch with a CNC machine?

Anonymous

Quote from: "dick2ski"It cant be that hard to mill out some of these from scratch with a CNC machine?

sadly for a CnC they can be a pain as they are small. its hard for the machine to grip the metal to CnC it. im guess key makers have special machines just to aid in the gripping purpose

russw69

I ordered one of the flip keys from ebay, and knocked out the roll pin filled and drilled my old key to same shape and fit into flip case, job done!

Treboeth

Quote from: "russw69"I ordered one of the flip keys from ebay, and knocked out the roll rin filed my old ket to same shape and fit into flip case, job done!

No need to be shy Russ tell us which key you bought and don't forget the pics  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

russw69

russw69

Tags: