import models

Started by viertel55, March 17, 2012, 20:45

viertel55

I'm a brand new member!
My partner has a 2003 facelift model, which I get to drive sometimes.
I'm looking for an older one myself now & have noticed the import versions sell considerably cheaper than UK spec. cars.
Just what are the differences? Are the imports a real bargain or are there big drawbacks?

Hans,
Roche,
Cornwall.

onion86

Hi, welcome to the forum.

The import cars themselves are pretty much identical to a UK car but there are a few minor differences.
The only real drawback to Japanese imports is that engine code readers are not as easily available if you have something wrong (UK ones can be picked up for £20 on eBay) as they differ. I've owned an import for 4 years and touch wood never had a code so haven't had an issue, a few other members have imports and have had codes but there are still garages that can read the codes and sort the issues.

The lights/indicators are on the opposite side (lights left, indicators right - I see that as a positive though as I prefer it)
There might not be as much service history as nothing prior to import would generally be available, not a huge problem as cars in Japan are probably in better condition than a lot of the ones over here anyway.
Insurance can be more expensive but it seems that this isn't the case with most insurers.

Other than that I can't really think of anything else.

There are quite a few bargain priced cars on here and most will come with a history of forum posts and might be a little better looked after than buying from a normal private seller. Take a look in the Vehicles for Sale section, it just so happens I've actually got a black import for sale in there at the moment  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

viertel55

Many thanks, this has been useful info.

2 of the left

there are two types of imports "Grey" European - Same/Same as UK editions and Japanese imports -These have problems with Code readings!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

viertel55

Do you know were I can find both jap. imports & grey imports for sale? Are there ever any LHD ones available?

manchestermatt1986

I also have an import, just throwing my info in there.

As above they cant be used for OBDii readers, so that's most diagnostic readers - would have to have it plugged in at a mechanics. Also cant plug in the computer aid machines out there that a lot of people use for mpg and track days.

But... this is only a little thing you normally get cool extras, depending in how anal you are. Japanese writing on certain parts of the car, also mine came with co-axil rear speakers from Toyota on the bin lids. Also had a felt lined ash tray which i think is import. Good old jap flare for breakdowns.

Got a full service history but all in Japanese! so haven't a clue what's been done in the past.

Major good point, iv been told off many mechanics including performance matt from this site, the underneath is in brilliant condition. Probably due to not having the  sshit shit sshit  roads that we have over here with salt etc

Was more expensive with Adrian Flux, but then again the 3 worst things you could say for insurance.....
 RWD, import, convertible
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

skyinsurance

Quote from: "manchestermatt1986"Was more expensive with Adrian Flux, but then again the 3 worst things you could say for insurance.....
 RWD, import, convertible

Manchester postcode outweighs all of those, 3 fold.

m http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html m
Contact us:

TEL: 03303 331250
WEB: www.skyinsurance.co.uk
EMAIL: http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/blog/

YOU CAN ALSO SEND US A PRIVATE MESSAGE!

vinp182

Quote from: "skyinsurance"
Quote from: "manchestermatt1986"Was more expensive with Adrian Flux, but then again the 3 worst things you could say for insurance.....
 RWD, import, convertible

Manchester postcode outweighs all of those, 3 fold.

m http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html m

lol....... everyone in the UK must have a manchester postcode then   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

manchestermatt1986

lol at viper. im lucky, technically i come under Lancashire so post code is BL instead of M. but people who live 2mins away pay alot more!! but yea, that would of been added to the mix
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

Tags: