Hood Strap

Started by 2 of the left, March 22, 2012, 23:26

2 of the left

Every so often, the poppers on the strap dis-engage which means having to re-thread it across the top in the small stitched tunnel. Found a good tool to help me though - Tesco sells a metal flexible drain cleaner which can be used as a guide to thread the strap through -All you need is a bit of string/twine to pass through the centre of the popper and wind it on the end of the metal cleaner and then pull through - engage poppers- Job Done!!   s:P :P s:P
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

onion86

I just used a broom and some tape, two things everyone would already own. You obviously put too much thought into it   s:P :P s:P
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Deadmanwalking

When I purchased my car in Jan this year.....I found my strap in the glove compartment.  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(  

I wont attempt re-attaching it myself as I get everything around cars......just WRONG  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(
TOPS DOWN DRIVE THU THE NIGHT CLICK HERE] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37365

onion86

Mine was like that too, I think a lot of people have done it over the years because they do wear down over time and bits split. I believe there is a how to around somewhere, the hardest part is getting the strap through the correct tunnel in the hood and the only other part is making sure it's round the metal supports correctly.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

2 of the left

Around the securing popper that passes through the strut is a Velcro patch - this is,I guess to add further secure holding but over time this becomes jaded - I'm considering getting my "palm and needle" to the contact points and stitching the strap in,using seaming twine and beeswax (How nautical is that??)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

StuC

Quote from: "2 of the left"using seaming twine and beeswax (How nautical is that??)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Now you have remembered that just because the hood goes up and down like a sail, it is not a boat and as such you should not be attempting to make it like one!  s;-) ;-) s;-)  
How long have you been near the sea in Pompy?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Deadmanwalking

well if you must know, its as nautical as a nautical thing from nauticaland   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

2 of the left

Well to be honest I qualified as Bos'uns Yeoman many moons ago whilst in the RN and never truly lost the art of Sailmaking/Rigging(All modern warships carry canvas in the event of Power loss from engines) - AND as regards the question "How long have i been near the sea?" - I've spent more time on it than near it!!  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  - Should the 2's engine fail me I'll have to do a "jury" rig to the hood and sail home!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

AmeR

My poppers on my previous hood had holes through so I thread through some cable ties to secure it. Failing that... Drill some small holes and put cable ties through!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

2 of the left

Quote from: "AmeR"My poppers on my previous hood had holes through so I thread through some cable ties to secure it. Failing that... Drill some small holes and put cable ties through!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
A Dodgey move putting a drill bit near the hood  s:| :| s:|

normanh

Curtain wires good and cheaper, used mine a couple of times now and keep it in the car always.

norman

AmeR

Quote from: "2 of the left"
Quote from: "AmeR"My poppers on my previous hood had holes through so I thread through some cable ties to secure it. Failing that... Drill some small holes and put cable ties through!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
A Dodgey move putting a drill bit near the hood  s:| :| s:|

Not if you're competent with a drill... Plus the bit doesn't do much on its own!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

2 of the left

Quote from: "Deadmanwalking"When I purchased my car in Jan this year.....I found my strap in the glove compartment.  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(  

I wont attempt re-attaching it myself as I get everything around cars......just WRONG  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(
If I get to Windsor meet - (Highly likely) - I'll do it for you

Deadmanwalking

Quote from: "2 of the left"
Quote from: "Deadmanwalking"When I purchased my car in Jan this year.....I found my strap in the glove compartment.  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(  

If I get to Windsor meet - (Highly likely) - I'll do it for you

That actually would be greatly appreciated kind sir. Have to say that I don't like my ears sticking out.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

AmeR

Your "Photoshop Skills" have no bounds do they!?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Deadmanwalking

Quote from: "AmeR"Your "Photoshop Skills" have no bounds do they!?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
It was this picture that you refered to, see below. I designed said sail boat MR2 to help 2 of the left with a future design should he go this route. I posted it previously then removed it as I thought it may be moaned at. My photoshop skills are the envy of the world.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Have popped it back so that others understand your comment as you saw the pic before i removed it.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quote from: "2 of the left"Should the 2's engine fail me I'll have to do a "jury" rig to the hood and sail home!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

2 of the left

OMG !! - Totally wrong!! The way the sails are set the 2 would be travelling in reverse and I wouldn't be flying a Yankee flag!!  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    AND the damsel to the right is a hazard to navigation!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: