200k of Roadstering

Started by blobb, March 25, 2012, 19:47

blobb

Reached a milestone recently: 200,000miles behind the wheel of an MR2!!

Roadster #1 = bought with 60k, head gasket went at 160k = 100,000miles

Roadster #2 = bought with 30k, still going strong at 130k = 100,000miles

Total 200,000   s:D :D s:D  

Top tips / free performance mods:

1. Adjust the seat ! - you'd be surpised how much of a difference this makes.
2. Wear thin sole footwear
3. know and adjust tyre pressures regularly (I carry a footpump and digital gauge in the car at all times)
4. Millers CFS 10w40
5. Toyo Proxes T1R's (26/36)

Top bug bears:
1. crap lights
2. sticky brake calipers
3. O2 heater circuits (why, when we have a cold start tick over?)

Other than that, without doubt the most fun, most comfortable and most reliable car I've ever owned.

Stephster

Congrats, and the doggy is a cutie !
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

Treboeth

One question

If thats you in the pics how do you reach the pedals  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

spit

Perhaps he's there to remove the cats   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

200k is a lot of top-down fun for a brace of '2s. Nice one.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kentsmudger

s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Congrats! How long did that take you? Agree on your top tips too (and callipers Grrr!)
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

blobb

How long? When did I join this site - 2007 - there you go, 5 years.
..(don't ask, I spend a lot of time in my car, most of it with the top down you will be pleased to hear)

Never made an insurance claim and only picked up 1 parking ticket and 2 speeding tickets - both of which were fund raisers. and that includes 15yrs previous driving exp before I started on roadsters. Apart fromthe blown head gasket, the only other thing to go wrong was a worn out wheel bearing which is sort of a consumable. Tyres and brake pads, that's all you need to worry about.

puma2

well done that man and dog  s:D :D s:D

dcod

Congratulations, you must have many great memories and a high smile per mile rate.

Quote4. Millers CFS 10w40
5. Toyo Proxes T1R's (26/36)

10w40 +1 (but Fuchs - currently £14.35 for 5 litres!)

m http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-990-fuchs-t ... n-xtr.aspx m

26/34 if tyres are stone cold
28/36 if tyres are already warm

IMO.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Deadmanwalking

In an MR2 Roadster you have achieved the equivalent of  driving around the earth 8 and a third times.........give or take a country.........so well done.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
TOPS DOWN DRIVE THU THE NIGHT CLICK HERE] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37365

onion86

Quote from: "dcod"10w40 +1 (but Fuchs - currently £14.35 for 5 litres!)

m http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-990-fuchs-t ... n-xtr.aspx m
It's £14 because it's semi-synthetic, normal price to be honest... fully synthetic all the way, look after your engine and it will look after you!

200k is a lot in 5 years, lovely that the cars will hold up so well, I've only done 23k in 4 years of ownership   s8) 8) s8)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

dcod

Quote from: "onion86"It's £14 because it's semi-synthetic, normal price to be honest... fully synthetic all the way, look after your engine and it will look after you!

oops wrong link, and its 5w40, and it's £22.67. I'm a mess this morning. Think I've got sunstroke from the meet yesterday.

m http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-984-fuchs-t ... e-oil.aspx m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

smarty72

Congratulations!

What's wrong with the lights?

The lights on mine are better than most of my previous cars.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

onion86

Quote from: "smarty2072"The lights on mine are better than most of my previous cars.
I agree, the lights on mine are much better than our Fiesta and that was before I put the Osram Nightbreakers yesterday in  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

smarty72

Quote from: "blobb"How long? When did I join this site - 2007 - there you go, 5 years.
..(don't ask, I spend a lot of time in my car, most of it with the top down you will be pleased to hear)

Never made an insurance claim and only picked up 1 parking ticket and 2 speeding tickets - both of which were fund raisers. and that includes 15yrs previous driving exp before I started on roadsters. Apart fromthe blown head gasket, the only other thing to go wrong was a worn out wheel bearing which is sort of a consumable. Tyres and brake pads, that's all you need to worry about.

Have/did you have the timing chain checked/replaced on either car?  

What sort of driving do you do, as in motorway, town etc?
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

blobb

Quote from: "smarty2072"Congratulations!

What's wrong with the lights?

The lights on mine are better than most of my previous cars.

Main beam is ok, dips are a bit weak. I've tried Phillips 80%+ but they need changing quicker. SO guess my main gripe is that the bulbs are fiddly to change over, which means I stick to regular bulbs. I find the glass covers get dirty quickly which cuts light out by quite a bit. That's probably more to do with laziness than anything else though...  s:P :P s:P

QuoteHave/did you have the timing chain checked/replaced on either car?

What sort of driving do you do, as in motorway, town etc?

Nope, never checked timing chain.

First 2 I drove mostly motorway miles, second 2 I drive on Welsh country lanes and some dual carriageways. Don't really thrash it, keep it smooth.

Tags: