Caliper Stickers..to go with Coleys paint!

Started by MRMike, April 27, 2004, 13:37

MRMike

Along with the caliper paint which Coley is organising..I thought a perfect compliment would be some caliper stickers.  I know there have been Spyder one's done in the past..but I think it would be nice to have some MR2 or roadster ones done..

I'm quite happy to organise this..so if you would like some drop a reply below..further does anyone have any contacts that could do this? Otherwise i'll just have a scan of the net..I know Hope4Sun had some made up a while ago...

Oh and what are peoples preferences in regard to roadster/MR2 and what colours?

Thanks..i'll see whats available
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Darth Paul

TRD, as it's written in their logo. Either black or red. I can supply the artwork.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

DP

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Darth Paul"TRD, as it's written in their logo. Either black or red. I can supply the artwork.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Wouldn't that infringe on copyright and/or trademark?

SteveJ

Mark & I have purchased a Roland SX12 vinyl cutter, and we are waiting for it to arrive from the states.

I would suggest holding off organising the stickers until it arrives, as we will produce them and sell at discounted rates (part of the profits will also go to club funds)

MRMike

Okay sorry Steve !  Didn't know anything was in the Pipeline! I'm happy to wait then
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "Darth Paul"TRD, as it's written in their logo. Either black or red. I can supply the artwork.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Wouldn't that infringe on copyright and/or trademark?

And?

Slacey

I'm not sure it would infringe copyright unless you are using the logo for self promotion of you or your product.
To make stickers etc, is free promotion for them... look at the amount of vinyl companies that produce manufacturer logos - I very much doubt they are paying the respective companies for the privelige.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Slacey"I'm not sure it would infringe copyright unless you are using the logo for self promotion of you or your product.
To make stickers etc, is free promotion for them... look at the amount of vinyl companies that produce manufacturer logos - I very much doubt they are paying the respective companies for the privelige.

What he said.

Hope4Sun

I have the TRD logo knocking around somewhere in vector format ready for a cutter, i used it to make the the TRD logos i had on my calipers  s:) :) s:)  if its any help.

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

kanujunkie

just a suggestion gents, wouldn't it be better to get stencils made rather than use stickers that can blister with the heat or just fall off?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Hope4Sun

I thought that they might fall off or warp too   s:? :? s:?  , but they were on the car for a over a year before i parted with it, with no sign of coming off and that was after lots of cleaning and hard breaking in there life. Though painted on would look very   s8) 8) s8)  

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

MRMike

I think as long as there made of Vinyl they will be okay.  By the way i'm up for some TRD stickers after Darth's suggestion..

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Slacey"I'm not sure it would infringe copyright unless you are using the logo for self promotion of you or your product.
To make stickers etc, is free promotion for them...

But you would be making something, using someone elses trademark, then selling them, in order to place said item upon a product that isn't theirs.

As for free promotion, would the club allow someone (whether in the club or not) to produce stickers with the MR2 ROC logo on it, and then sell them for their own profit?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Hope4Sun"I thought that they might fall off or warp too   s:? :? s:?  , but they were on the car for a over a year before i parted with it, with no sign of coming off and that was after lots of cleaning and hard breaking in there life. Though painted on would look very   s8) 8) s8)  

Andy

oh, now that surprised me, thought they would come off pretty quickly, just go's to show how wrong our idea's can be. I have found a place though that will do stencils for under a tenner if anyone wants to go down that route
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"But you would be making something, using someone elses trademark, then selling them, in order to place said item upon a product that isn't theirs.

As for free promotion, would the club allow someone (whether in the club or not) to produce stickers with the MR2 ROC logo on it, and then sell them for their own profit?

and if that bought in another 50 members, how would you feel then about it then?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

To make stickers etc, is free promotion for them...

But you would be making something, using someone elses trademark, then selling them, in order to place said item upon a product that isn't theirs.

Peter, please get down off your soap box. It's a sticker, with a trd "style" logo. No-one would ever complain about them, they give them away with products for promotion for gods sake.

I'll have some if they make production, or i'll make them myself and risk the jail sentence.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Darth Paul

Quote from: "kanujunkie"just a suggestion gents, wouldn't it be better to get stencils made rather than use stickers that can blister with the heat or just fall off?

Why not do 2-in-1? Kiss cut the vinyl stickers but leave the excess vinyl on the backing. That way you can use the inner (the logo) as a sticker, or the outer (the 'hole' where the logo was) as a stencil.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

God, I'm good!  s:D :D s:D  

DP

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Darth Paul"Why not do 2-in-1? Kiss cut the vinyl stickers but leave the excess vinyl on the backing. That way you can use the inner (the logo) as a sticker, or the outer (the 'hole' where the logo was) as a stencil.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

God, I'm good!  s:D :D s:D  

DP

Smart Ass  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Comer

Don't worry about the heat too much.  These 50p stickers cut by Xtreme in Harlow are still in place and not melted etc and I put these on last Summer.

Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Peter, please get down off your soap box. It's a sticker, with a trd "style" logo.

It's not a soap box I am on. I'm not saying don't do it, I just have a small concern that TRD may find out that we are making and selling a product which is based on their logo.

Sure they may give away products, but that is up to them. They are doing something that eats away at their own profits.

They probably don't have a problem for an individual making one set for his/her own use (chances are they probably wouldn't even know). But the club is way past one individual or even a handfull of fanatics.

IMHO an individual can make the stickers and sell them as it would be at their own risk, but the club would have a higher potential market and there would be more risk. A way round this would be a simple email to TRD (or any company for which we would like to use their logo e.g. TTE, Toyota etc) asking permission.

All I am thinking of is the club protecting its arse over this.

Anonymous

i think i would like them to say 'roadster' more than anything else and yes i would be interested.

MRMike

I see what your saying and it could constitute intelectual property infringement. But these presumably would not be made for profit, and only for our own use.

Manufacturers like TRD, Blitz, HKS make vinyl stickers..and they have no idea who, or where they will end up. I have a Blitz sticker that is a sanctioned Blitz item.  I've put in on my roll bar, even though its obviously not a Blitz item.  Presumably they release them for free advertising.  I know that they made them, and were making our own but would they be able to tell the difference, let alone care enough to look for differences.

I think it would be a whole different story if MR2ROC were taking OE brake callipers, slapping a TRD logo on them, and then selling them to the general population as TRD callipers.

I agree though a letter would clarify things! Though it also runs the risk of them turning the club down flat..and them having greater visibility if the club were to make them..

I'm having lunch and bored and thinking aloud!

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "MRMike"and were making our own but would they be able to tell the difference, let alone care enough to look for differences.

Remember, this is the world of the internet. Lets say someone stumbles across this site and notices the club selling TRD stickers. However instead of getting them through the club, they decide to contact TRD directly.

Bloke "Can I have a set of your caliper stickers?"
TRD "I'm affraid we don't do caliper decals sir"
Bloke "Are you sure, because the other day I saw a club website selling TRD stickers"
TRD "And which club website would that be?"

Either that or TRD do sell caliper stickers and they notice that the club is selling them. They check their records and notice that neither the club, not any person associated with it has place a large order. A little bit of investigating and they find out that we are actually making our own.

It's not really the quality issue. It's that we are using their logo. And the chances are, they could easily find out. They could sue us, they could just ask us not do it, but it sure wouldn't help if we wanted a relationship with TRD to supply genuine parts (a GB for example).

MRMike

Quote from: "MRMike"and were making our own but would they be able to tell the difference, let alone care enough to look for differences.

It's not really the quality issue. It's that we are using their logo. And the chances are, they could easily find out. They could sue us, they could just ask us not do it, but it sure wouldn't help if we wanted a relationship with TRD to supply genuine parts (a GB for example).

Thats an excellent point, but look at the amount of stickers, decals etc that are sold on Ebay, now I'm not advocating that because they do it we could/should, only that I think these companies have more pressing concerns. IMO its about the degree of abuse of intelectual property..I know i've used graphics etc in presentations..this too is intelectual property infringement, but given the context its acceptable, same with these stickers I feel.

Ultimately though if it could cause problems for the club in the future, or compromise relations with TRD then it's probably not worth it. I've now finished my lunch so I won't say anymore!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

MR2Blue

Quote from: "jonboy"i think i would like them to say 'roadster' more than anything else and yes i would be interested.

Me too.  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: