16s or 17s the ultimate dilemma - YOUR HELP PLEASE!!!

Started by Anonymous, April 27, 2004, 15:05

Anonymous

Rite, first things first- I'm a fraud! I don't own a Roadster... yet! But we're talkin a matter of weeks.

Meanwhile, I'm doing my research. I'm only 21 (insurance- ouch!!) so style mods come before engine mods at the moment. I'm currently trying to decide what size wheels to get. I've read many articles but you guys are obviously the people to ask. And so the ultimate dilemma; 16s or 17s? Will 17s kill the enjoyment of the car? Can I lower it without arch modification if I do go for 17s? Should I just go 16s and low? ARGGHH!! Whats the general opinion with those of you who've had this same predicament? Any advice on wheel size and tyres will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!

Jaymo (apparently a popular name in these parts!)

Anonymous

I'd suggest having a read of this, it'll tell you about what to expect when you move up from the stock wheels to bigger ones in terms of handling and acceleration: http://www.mr2roc.org/content/articles/wheels/wheels.php

SteveJ

Welcome to the club (even if you are currently a fraud  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).

May I suggest you use the search button - there have been countless in-depth discussions about the merits of 15"/16"/17" wheels, which should provide you with all of the info (and mis-information   s:? :? s:?  ) that you could ever require.

Hope4Sun

A search and a read of the links suggested will help loads, but in short, 17's do not require any arch mods as long as you don't go to low, your need to buy light if not lighter 17's to keep the hadnling the same, but depends on what you want from the car, you won't notice the difference on the street.

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

If you can get up to Hull this Sunday then you can see my 2 with 17"s fitted. Might help you make a decision. Pop in to the events thread & you'll find it under Northern Meet.   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I was thinking of 16's for the front and 17's rear, although having seen Perry's 17's at the weekend i think they look cool as well.

markiii

Quote from: "Hope4Sun"A search and a read of the links suggested will help loads, but in short, 17's do not require any arch mods as long as you don't go to low, your need to buy light if not lighter 17's to keep the hadnling the same, but depends on what you want from the car, you won't notice the difference on the street.

Andy

sorry but you will.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

you will notice the difference, mainly the handling is not as sharp as with 15"s and the ride is harsher especially over the bumpy roads(one of the main reasons to fit a frt strutt bar) 17's are for show unless you have the extra umff (eg a turbo or a 2zz) but thats all i wanted them for in the first place.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Not all 21's years old like Style over Speed  s:) :) s:)

I cant wait for my 15" FN01RC's to come in! Now you're talking!

Hope4Sun

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "Hope4Sun"A search and a read of the links suggested will help loads, but in short, 17's do not require any arch mods as long as you don't go to low, your need to buy light if not lighter 17's to keep the hadnling the same, but depends on what you want from the car, you won't notice the difference on the street.

Andy

sorry but you will.

Your correct of course  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I was meaning as a daily driver basis, the 17's would not cause any major upsets  s:) :) s:)  Though my second set of 17's were almost lighter than the stock 15's and i did notice it liven up.

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

Quote from: "DARKSTAR"Not all 21's years old like Style over Speed  s:) :) s:)

I cant wait for my 15" FN01RC's to come in! Now you're talking!

I dont know what insurance prices are like in Cali but you'd have to be filthy rich to own and insure the cars you do over here if your only 21. I'd love to mod the engine til it hit warp-speed. However mr insurance man doesnt see it like that, unfortunately!

Tags: