windscreen problem

Started by Anonymous, April 1, 2012, 23:02

Anonymous

Last Friday whilst on the M1 in my Citroen a stone hit my windscreen and took a chunk out of it. Bad luck I thought.............

Today in the MR2 on the M1 another stone took a chunk out of that one! Bad luck was not the thought that went through my mind then!
The chip is right in the middle vertically and just left of centre about 5mm round.

Anybody have any experiences of repairs? Are they invisible? Would it be better to see if it cracks further and get a new screen?

AckersMR2

A repair will make it look better, may not make it invisible though? Well if you've got fully comp insurance then chances are your covered to have it repaired for free, just check with your insurance and make sure there's no excess or that it won't count as a claim.
So if it doesn't work it's cost you nothing. Waiting for the screen to crack may take forever or at all and if it does chances are your policy will probably have a glass excess which will cost you £50-100 and will count as a claim against your insurance so you might lose some no claims bonus and your insurance will go up next year.
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Best to get repaired as it could be an MOT fail.

nathanMR2

Bear in mind that when they try to fill it that it could crack even more and you'll need a new screen anyway. Thats what happened to me anyway
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

uktotty

Get Gavin from Autoglass to inject his special resin in your crack, if that fails you can always replace for a minimum excess

dcod

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

StuC

Quote from: "sprinty"Last Friday whilst on the M1 in my Citroen a stone hit my windscreen and took a chunk out of it. Bad luck I thought.............

Today in the MR2 on the M1 another stone took a chunk out of that one! Bad luck was not the thought that went through my mind then!
The chip is right in the middle vertically and just left of centre about 5mm round.

Anybody have any experiences of repairs? Are they invisible? Would it be better to see if it cracks further and get a new screen?

I had one in plain sight fixed not long ago. Went fine, you can still see it though.

2 months later however, on the opposite side of the screen I now have a substantial crack. £90 on my excess to fix it  s:-( :-( s:-(

I feel your whole bad luck thing  s:-( :-( s:-(
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

puma2

hi, i had a small chip autoglass said it could be fixed for free as per insurance, i asked if they could replace it with new windscreen/glass was covered with fully comp ins so got new one at £75 and no loss at all on my no claims bonus as they do not count against you, as just glass  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

thanks for your thoughts on this problem, annoyingly the citroen one is low down in the corner and the screen is a bit scratched anyway and I would not mind a new one, but the MR2 is right in my eyeline but the screen is in very good nick otherwise. Would hate to have it repaired and not be happy with the result.

Tags: