Horn Q

Started by Anonymous, July 9, 2003, 10:29

Anonymous

Has anyone had problems with the loudness of the horn?

Some of the owners on SC have changed to air horns since the stock horn sounds like a whistle   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Mine sounds like a fart or Noddy's horn lol

Anonymous

I rarely have cause to use it so I didn't see the point in an upgrade.  The stock horn a bit feeble but not embarrasingly so IMHO.

--H--

Anonymous

Mine sounds like it belongs to an atlantic crossing oil tanker! It's very accusing!

Just the thing for reminding people that they can't take the racing line around a roundabout when someone is still alongside them in the inside lane...!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Tim

GSB

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"Just the thing for reminding people that they can't take the racing line around a roundabout when someone is still alongside them in the inside lane...!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Exactly. Living in london I generally have cause to use the horn at least once a day, and I find that upgrading the horns to something a little less feeble really helps when getting peoples attention. Upgrading is easy, and can be done with basic tools in about half an hour. A pair of suitable horns is available in Halfords for about £15. Money well spent in the name of avoiding panel damage...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Darth Paul

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"Just the thing for reminding people that they can't take the racing line around a roundabout when someone is still alongside them in the inside lane...!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Exactly. Living in london I generally have cause to use the horn at least once a day, and I find that upgrading the horns to something a little less feeble really helps when getting peoples attention. Upgrading is easy, and can be done with basic tools in about half an hour. A pair of suitable horns is available in Halfords for about £15. Money well spent in the name of avoiding panel damage...

Can you give us some details of the Halfords horn? Is it an air horn? What is the name/code on the packaging (to make it easy for me to spot in the shop  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )? And finally, anything specific about the installation that we should know about?

That's all!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Cheers

DP

Anonymous

I've always found my stock horn to be mighty powerful.. perhaps it takes a while to "loosen up" and reach it's full potential.. ?!

I've probably used it every other day for the last 3 years! Living in Basingstoke (aka doughnut city!)  means that I have to keep my eyes peeled for poor lane discipline on a daily basis!

Tim

GSB

Quote from: "Darth Paul"Can you give us some details of the Halfords horn? Is it an air horn? What is the name/code on the packaging (to make it easy for me to spot in the shop  )? And finally, anything specific about the installation that we should know about?

No problems. Take a jumper with a hood attached and make sure you wear it with a baseball cap worn at an unusual angle. Approach Halfords superstore at con-rod threatening rpm's in first gear, with windows open and Drum n' Bass music at painfully loud and preferably distorted levels.

Park in disabled parking bay.

Shuffle into Halfords in surly manner and head directly for the ICE section, pick a unit at random and tune it into illegal pirate rave radio station. Turn bass levels and volume to maximum and walk away.

Now go to the Ripspeed / Min Power section and look around for a pair of red horns in clear plastic packaging, you should find them somewhere between the neon radio antenna and the chrome "bad-boy" exhaust extensions. They have a "Ring" manufacturers logo on the label, and have small chrome grilles attached to them. (DON'T WORRY -They come off...)The horns are actually made by Fiamm.

Take the horns plus whatever other overpriced purchases you may want to the till, ogle checkout girls tits without having the bottle to say a single word to her, and shuffle out the door. Get in car. Start Engine. Immediatley rev engine mercilessly from cold to demonstrate your sexual prowess, before backing out of the disabled parking bay without looking and driving away in the wrong direction...

Once you get home and turn back into a human being again, remove the front bumper according to instructions on Spydermagazine. Underneath you'll see two very feeble horns. Remove these and mount the new horns, you may have to be a bit creative with a vice and hammer on the mounting brackets but its a fairly easy process. Also you'll need to add earth connections from the (-) terminals of each horn as the toyota ones dont have any. Other than that, its easy, but make sure you test your new horns out before you put the bumper back on, and make sure you angle them so they dont fill up with rainwater.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"No problems. Take a jumper with a hood attached and make sure you wear it with a baseball cap worn at an unusual angle.... **SNIP**
Priceless!  Good work fella!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

--H--

Darth Paul

Quote from: "GSB"Also you'll need to add earth connections from the (-) terminals of each horn as the toyota ones dont have any.

EXCELLENT REVIEW!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So from the –earth connections to what? The bodywork?

DP

GSB

Connect the horns (-) terminal to a ring tag, and put that under the bolt mounting the horn to the bodywork. Circuit complete. Dont forget to take the little chrome grilles off as they look awful!

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"No problems. Take a jumper with a hood attached and make sure you wear it with a baseball cap worn at an unusual angle......

LMAO!!!
I'll keep my eyes peeled the next time I visit my local halfords   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Darth Paul

Quote from: "GSB"Connect the horns (-) terminal to a ring tag, and put that under the bolt mounting the horn to the bodywork. Circuit complete. Dont forget to take the little chrome grilles off as they look awful!

Nice one!  s:D :D s:D  

DP

Tags: