pre-cat removal/ Lanmda probes

Started by viertel55, May 11, 2012, 21:03

viertel55

Had my local garage do the pre-cat removal treatment (actually found ceramic not breaking up at all @ 40 thou. miles on a 2003). Travelled less than 10 miles down the road afterwards and the engine management light came on and stayed on.
Took car back to garage and his tester said "heater circuit faulty", which he said was either Lambda probes have been affected by a temperature change in manifold, or one of them is fautly. Hell of a coinsidence!? I know the previous owner replaced the right one 10 thou. miles before, could it be the left one failing now after being disturbed?

Anyone else had this problem please?

mrzwei

Ask them for the code. You can tell which one it is from that.
Not uncommon for things to go wrong after they have been disturbed. Worth pushing the wiring around a bit.

Notice we both chose German for the name   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

loadswine

Some of these little chaps can be a s0d to remove and could get damaged, or finished off, as part of that process.
 As above, find which one it is from the code and get a nice new one and you are away. That is always assuming that it is an O2 sensor and not an airleak causing the CEL.
The code is the key to diagnosing, and then fixing it!  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

viertel55

Thanks for your help guys, I'll go back and ask for "code". however I suspect his general tester won't tel;l us much more, are you refering to a Toyota dealer tester?
Would an ohm meter comparison test between each sensor proove anything?
Oh, and "Mrzwei", "VierteL" is my real surname (my dad was born in Germany)!!

mrzwei

The OBDII reader that was almost certainly used will throw up a different code for each sensor. Toyota diagnostic equipment may give more detaied info but you only need the code.
There may well be another way to test the sensor using a multimeter so somebody else may be able to help.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Green Goblin

Heater circuit will be P0135 or P0155. Not the first lambda probe that hits the dust after it is taken out and put back again.

You will need a new lambda probe, which are horribly expensive if you buy them from toyota. But you can also find them on ebay, for a fraction of the price. While you're there, get a cheap code reader also. Just for piece of mind.
[centre]1986 MK1 Sherwood Toning - 2000 MK3 Black

Click here for MK1-keychains - MK2-keychains - MK3-keychains[/centre]

puma2

had a smiler problem when i had mine done, light soon after i had to change one of them. got it off Nathan on here. sorted job done. does seam like the work can upset them , at least your pre cats are walking home on there own now  s:D :D s:D

skirmish

I'm not sure if you've done anything yet but this may help.
I had a similar reading on my MR2 and I cured it by just swapping the two sensors. I have a OBDII reader that I used to cancel the warning light. Since then I've not had a problem.
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

Tags: