limited slip diffs

Started by viertel55, May 19, 2012, 14:25

viertel55

"A man down the pub" told me that all the facelift models, i.e. with 6 speed gearbox, in the U.K., came with a Torsen limited slip diff.

Anyone know if this is correct?

Wabbitkilla

I doubt they're Torson, but they are helical lsd's. And all UK cars have them

Sent from a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

SteveJ

Have you tried the search button?

MattPerformance

Not one who likes to contradict our Chairrman but I believe they are indeed Torsen and fitted to all UK spec cars (i.e. not Jap imports) prior to and after the facelift.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "MattPerformance"Not one who likes to contradict our Chairrman but I believe they are indeed Torsen and fitted to all UK spec cars (i.e. not Jap imports) prior to and after the facelift.

Oh fair enough, I didn't expect something as classy as a Torsen in our humble cars.

Sent from a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Mk3sable

Yeah, the later rev2 LSD is smooth as silk when the wheels are sliding but the rev1 is better for fun driving I think. More aggressive IMO.

Mad Matt

According to Evo the early ones were without LSD. Now, I know there are people on here who have early models with an LSD and I know Evo is not perfect but they went into enough detail to make me believe that at least the car they had on test didn't have an LSD.

Anonymous

Then eco had an import and not a UK one.

Mad Matt

Doesn't seem to be (I just found the article again)  m http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarr ... a_mr2.html m

Wabbitkilla

EVO are just wrong about the LSD ... never noticed them getting something wrong before   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

It is only the Japanese imports you need to be careful with in this country, it was an option in Japan, it came as standard in the UK (and most likely Europe too). I have heard mention that not all American cars got the LSD too.

Mad Matt

I wouldn't have been surprised if they got a fact wrong but the way they talk about it in the road test has never made sense to me.....

I don't know for sure what the deal is in Europe I can only say that the pre-facelift model I test drove spun it's wheels a little in the dry from a standing start. In contrast, I can't remember every doing that in the facelifted 2 I eventually bought, not without turning the wheel or there being some ice or something.

I spent a few extra euros to get a facelift model, partly because of the LSD so I hope it is at least true here! I was nervous about driving a mid engined rear wheel drive car for the first time so I wanted all the help I could get  :-) :-) :-)

markiii

ALL UK and Euro cars got LSD
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Mk3sable

Every one I've driven has an LSD, all been uk cars though.
Easy way to check if you want is jack up the driven wheels, rotate one and if it's an LSD the opposite wheel will turn the same way, if it's open diff it'll spin opposite. Easy peasy japanesey!

I think Toyota made the rev2 a bit more user friendly after the rev1 got a bad rap for being twitchy on the edge, but in doing so they made it a bit panzy IMO.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Mk3sable"Every one I've driven has an LSD, all been uk cars though.
Easy way to check if you want is jack up the driven wheels, rotate one and if it's an LSD the opposite wheel will turn the same way, if it's open diff it'll spin opposite. Easy peasy japanesey!

I think Toyota made the rev2 a bit more user friendly after the rev1 got a bad rap for being twitchy on the edge, but in doing so they made it a bit panzy IMO.

Errrrm..... that is total BS!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

The TORSEN diff fitted to the '2 ONLY locks up when SIGNIFICANT torque is applied to it - simply rotating the wheels DOES NOT lock it. The friction in the rest of the gearbox plays a bigger part when rotating the wheels as you describe,

Mk3sable

Alright, shirty! Just passing on knowledge I was taught at Motorsport engineering college. I believe it to be correct. Feel free to prove me wrong. I've only ever tried it on plate type diffs.

steve-m-uk

Quote from: "Mk3sable"Every one I've driven has an LSD, all been uk cars though.

rev1 and rev2? are you talking about mk2 mr2's? the rev1 mr2 (1989-1991) had a bad reputation for being twitchy and this was rectified in later revisions with longer track arms on the rear and revised mounts for the front suspension. LSD was only fitted to turbo models so had nothing to do with the bad reputation of early cars (a few rare rev5 UK cars got LSD).  As far as mk3's go Toyota had it sussed and fitted LSD to all UK cars   s8) 8) s8)  but for some bizarre reason not to all Jap import mr-s cars.
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

Mk3sable

I mean pre and post facelifts, I've never taken a great interest in the mk3's, despite owning a couple, assumed they were differentiated by revision like all mr2's. I'd be surprised if the pre facelift has the same diff as the post facelift, they drive very different IMO. Plus they've got different boxes obviously.
And im pretty sure not that many mk2 turbos had lsd's, it was an option, I think there was a code under the front bonnet, e152 or something like that, my mk2 turbo had an LSD.

steve-m-uk

Actually most mk2 turbo's had LSD , only a few rare low spec early ones came without and by revision 3 it was standard equipment,the code was E153 735 signifying an LSD box or E153 753(IIRC) means no LSD.

Mk3sable

Well, there ya go then, mine was e rev 2 years and years back, I had to search high and low for one with an LSD in good condition.

steve-m-uk

Yes mine was a rev2 tubby originally too,then v6 and then rev4 tubby   s:) :) s:)   had it 7years before discovering the mk3   s8) 8) s8)

Mk3sable

They were great and my favourite car I've ever owned, I absolutely love the 3sgte! Awesome engine and def top 5 Toyota engines of all time, mine was yellow, tintop rev 2 turbo, 25,000 miles and 300hp on a dyno with avcr and a hybrid.
And I've owned some cool cars and it ranks #1 for me as an all round road car. Had uk 6spd tt supra, in purple! Lol. Many s body Sylvia's and still got a 326hp ps13, mk1 mr2's, got a lovely mk3 now but they're soooo underpowered for the chassis and the clutch feels like its made by mr Kipling. I'm going to out it up for sale soon.
The engine your planning in your sig sounds awesome! 2zz turbo! Don't reckon on the box putting up with that torque for too long. But then the corolla compressor had the standard 6spd didn't it?

steve-m-uk

Mine was a black rev5 replica, made 332hp and 319lb'ft on stock turbo and engine(still holds the record for most power on stock setup   s8) 8) s8)  )  Myself,Nic and Ste are putting the 2zz project together,first stage will be n/a then add the turbo,i'm hoping to have it mapped so the boost rises as the revs do, so as not to torque spike and kill the box   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   i hope to make at least the same power as my old mk2,maybe more but power to weight will be much better   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  The corolla did indeed use the 6spd transmission but without LSD, i'll be using the roadster 6spd with LSD which as n/a won't be ideal as it will drop out of lift on the upshift but once turbo charged this won't be an issue and should give me just what i'm after whilst retaining motorway cruising ability  s:) :) s:)

Mk3sable

I guess with a project like that you've got to consider gearboxes a wearable item. What's the point in a turbo without the boost spike! Whoooooossshhhh! Lol. Avcr is cool cos you can set boost limits in gears and rpms, I'm sure your aware with the level of fettling your at! Plus you can set a hi boost period for however many seconds after you press it, yellow wire rings a bell. And more than one boost map so you can safeguard that expensive 6spd  in one setting then change to box destruction settings at the touch of a button when the mood takes you.

steve-m-uk

I'll take a look at the AVCR ,i have a profec E-01 which came with the mk3 , it's not the easiest thing to set up though.

Anonymous

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"Myself,Nic and Ste are putting the 2zz project together,first stage will be n/a then add the turbo,i'm hoping to have it mapped so the boost rises as the revs do, so as not to torque spike and kill the box   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Going off this   l viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37781&p=450439&hilit= l   it seems the Mk2 box will take some punishment.

Tags: