limited slip diffs

Started by viertel55, May 19, 2012, 14:25

Anonymous

Steve the mk3 box is what is classed as a chocolate gearbox over 280 BHP. To make 320 BHP will need a big supply of gearboxes or a gearbox upgrade.

Mk3sable

Redline mt90 in it and keep a spare gearbox ratchet strapped on the bonnet. Lol. At the end of the day it's going to come down to how it's driven, yeah, double the torque and its obviously dramatically reducing its life. but clutch kickin it in 2nd all day long,it won't last a month. What box has the Elise with the charged 2zz got in it? Standard 6spd I guess, with LSD. But I've had bowel movements that weigh more than that car.

steve-m-uk

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Steve the mk3 box is what is classed as a chocolate gearbox over 280 BHP. To make 320 BHP will need a big supply of gearboxes or a gearbox upgrade.

We were discussing this round at the Spitstop the other day, for what MWR charge for the E153 conversion it's not worth it, it's cheaper to kill a 6spd every couple of years and replace along with the clutch,basically considering the box a consumable. If it becomes a problem i still have the rare E153 box i built for my mk2 but kept hold of, it is fitted with the ST165 final drive (early GT4) so every gear is 10% taller, great for motorway cruising or high speed whichever floats your boat .
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

Mk3sable

What driveshafts can you use for the e153 to mk3 mr2 hubs?

steve-m-uk

I think you do a full E153 swap,so you use the mk2 turbo shafts ,however i'm not sure what outer cv joint is used or if MWR supply modified mk3 hubs to suit instead.

Anonymous

another option steve is to do what jason did and uprate the gears in the box. believe he used the uprated gears for the ellise.

steve-m-uk

Would that still be an option for me as I am retaining the roadster 6spd, I assume the gears are the same with just the final drive being different?

Anonymous

yep its a strip down of the box and changing the selected driven and driving gears. give jason a pm he did it to his 6 speed

Mk3sable

I'd love a mk3 with a 3sgte in it. And arched out. That would be Kool, with a k.

Mk3sable

So the Elise has a stronger gearset? Unless you can get one from a breaker those gears will probably run you more than 2 or 3 6spds.

Anonymous

same gears toyota or lotus. however quafe (if i spelt that right) do uprated straight cut gears that you can put in.

Wabbitkilla

Jason has a straight cut 3rd in the Lotus .. sounded whizzy (read - brilliant)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Mk3sable

Sorry, when u said "he used uprated gears for the Elise" I assumed u meant he used Gears from an Elise cos they're uprated, but they're not from wot you've said.  I think it's spelt quaife, however you spell it they're fookin pricey! Good quality though, had a quick rack once, seemed very well machined.

MattPerformance

Jason has the Jubu Racing 3rd and 4th gearset which is straighter cut with much larger teeth - not cheap, especially once you've factored in the labour to install.  The ratios are different from stock as they are Elise/ Exige ratios (which answers the earlier remarks - Lotuses use different ratios to the MR2) but the difference is barely noticeable.  The noise is very noticeable though, and it is indeed brilliantly whizzy!!   s8) 8) s8)

viertel55

Seems to have gone off topic a bit here. I would love a definitive answer on this one. Does the pre-facelift models have LSD's??
Is there any other source of information, someone at Toyota?

The reason I need to know is I want to use one for motor sport, but the sport I'm in bans LSD.

I do know that plate LSD's are detectable by the" jacking up and turning wheels" method, but the Quafe type are virtually un-detectable. So I suspect the Torsen type are also the same (they only work under torque load & speed.

mrzwei

Quote from: "markiii"ALL UK and Euro cars got LSD

There is a lot of other confirmation on here so I guess you'll have to change the diff.

D!ck can tell the difference I think.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

MattPerformance

As Markiii said, all UK and Euro cars had LSDs so your car will have one.

If you take the drive shaft out the difference is pretty clear (there are photos on here somewhere).  The LSD will look like an almost solid plate at the end of the recess (in the box) whereas the non-LSD will have a thick bar with space either side of it.

The easiest solution would be to swap your box with one from an MR-S - they'd be happy of the ratio changes and LSD.  You'd need to be aware of those ratio changes too.

steve-m-uk

Another option is to get hold of a box from a non turbo mk2 mr2, the diff will swap into the mk3 box (albeit with new side bearings) , you can then fit the mk3 lsd to the mk2 box and i'm sure a mk2 owner will pay you a good price for it as few had LSD and they are sought after.

Anonymous

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"Another option is to get hold of a box from a non turbo mk2 mr2, the diff will swap into the mk3 box (albeit with new side bearings) , you can then fit the mk3 lsd to the mk2 box and i'm sure a mk2 owner will pay you a good price for it as few had LSD and they are sought after.

Ah so that's who the high priced LSD's are selling to.

steve-m-uk

Very likely , i think only some very late revision 5 (maybe the last few hundred if that) had lsd .The turbo ones nearly all had it though but it's a different box on those and the lsd is not compatible.

Tags: