in a tyre curfuffle

Started by vekma, June 2, 2012, 23:14

vekma

my 2006 tf300 is still on original re040s @ 22000miles

rears under 3mm and fronts about 4mm, must have had a easy life !

all 4 are quite cracked no eggs though

looking at black circles i can get 2 re040 rears for £241

or replace all 4 with toyos 195/15 and 225/40 for £294

or i could get ad08 yoko all four for £466 only really want these as they look cool as a cool thing

i am reckoning toyo to ease the ride a bit has its a bit unforgiving at times but i have heard t1r are finishing for t1sport ?

ad08 are a bit overkill for me has i dont drive on the edge

what do you guys reckon
[centre]My Fuel Economy[/centre]

peteopc

Get the toyos, I did but only paid 179 for all 4 from black circles 4 months ago. Prices must of gone up! No complaints.about the toyos and they have had some hammer.

vekma

that's fully fitted price btw

peteopc

Still doesn't sound that cheap.

vekma

camskill are about £203 for them plus all the hassles of finding somewhere that would fit byo tyres and transportation etc

MisterK

Try Demon Tweeks for the Toyo's.  I got mine fitted at the Ding Day last year 195's on the front and 225's on the rear.  I think it was about £260 ish fitted.  Mention you're with MR2ROC & you should get a good deal as they did promise a price match for the Ding Day last week.  I too used to have Bridgestones but don't regret the move to Toyo's & will stay with them.
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

carlclarke

Quote from: "vekma"or i could get ad08 yoko all four for £466 only really want these as they look cool as a cool thing

what do you guys reckon

They do look good though. The picture looks like a piece of men's jewellery.

alfajerry

Toyos are cheap and I've had them before, but I won't use them again.
Too 'loose' for me.
Jerry

Wabbitkilla

I can easily recommend the Toyo T1-R's, you need to push the pressures above standard to get the best out of them though.
Look in the tyre reviews for the full story.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

vekma

thanks for replies, will go for toyo i think as soon as got enough money

Stephster

I had the Yoko advans all round when I first got my car, and then replaced with Toyos all round this year ( about £280 fully fitted from Black Circles - badly fitted but that is another story ). Much prefer the Toyos, as the Yokos were rubbish in the wet.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

2 of the left

Toyos everytime IMO They won't let you down!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

alfajerry

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I can easily recommend the Toyo T1-R's, you need to push the pressures above standard to get the best out of them though.
Look in the tyre reviews for the full story.

I did that.
I had the rears anything up to ten psi above standard, still didn't like the feel.
I actually took them off the car after 5,000 miles and sold them.
This was on our MX-5 but I won't take the risk of wasting my money when I buy for the MR2.

Jerry
Jerry

Wabbitkilla

The MX5 is a very different car, remember the weight of the MR2 is more biased towards the rear so tyres will behave differently. Not everyone will like the same tyre, but weight of opinion says a lot of people do like the Toyos on the MR2.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

vekma

well went for toyo in the end from black circles had to get 225/45 as they have no 225/40, also my present front tyres are bald on inside 1" is it worth getting alignment done as well whilst getting tyres done

AndrewMason

Should always get tracking checked, front wheels minimum, 4 wheel preferred. Bald on inside front suggests either toe out (most likely) or something bit more serious.

I'm just about to replace my front RE040s, which like yours are cracking, on my standard 2002 with T1-Rs. Have to compare notes next week. I'm hoping the Toyo's will reduce the tramlining feeling of the very sensitive directional RE040s (sacrilege I hear you cry) and be bit more balanced to the rears.

When I bought the car in the snow of Dec 10 it had bald RE040 on the rear. These are not available in 205/50/15 so fitted Uniroyal Rainsport 2,  only to discover later that the RS2 is not available in 185/55/15 for the front. Dough!

Andrew.
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

vekma

heres picture of fronts,

vekma

got them fitted now, what a difference rides better and steering is lighter went for 30/36 but might lower to 28/34

vekma

gratuitous tread shot

also got these

chris3boro

Gotta love new tyres! Except paying for them of course! Discs look good too

AndrewMason

Had my Toyo T1-Rs on the front for 5 days of rain at 26psi. Are a lot less twitchy than the RE040s which makes me feel more in control and safer. Havent had chance to push them yet due to the weather. Have Uniroyal Rainsport 2s on at the back so trend pattern matches, if not the brand!
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

vekma

can also recommend the ebc turbo grooved and green stuff, miles better than stock and i only have them on the front gonna get rears soon

Anonymous

Quote from: "AndrewMason"Had my Toyo T1-Rs on the front for 5 days of rain at 26psi. Are a lot less twitchy than the RE040s which makes me feel more in control and safer. Havent had chance to push them yet due to the weather. Have Uniroyal Rainsport 2s on at the back so trend pattern matches, if not the brand!

andrew, what pressure have you found works best in those uniroyals?  just put a pair of uniroyals on the rear after being advised they'd match the stock fronts ok and it feels well twitchy. on 32 psi at the moment....

mrzwei

It's all been said really, but it's not  just about the tread pattern, it's about the rubber compound, the flexibility of the sidewalls etc. so take care.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: