Corroded rear sub frame

Started by catwoman13cats, June 7, 2012, 22:43

catwoman13cats

Just discovered a 3" hole In my frame.......is this a big job to replace? Any advice gratefully welcomed
\'54 Red Edition MR2, Devs keyhole covers, Lockwood sills,TTE springs,K&N Panel Filter, RMS Quad Custom SS Exhaust, Toyo T1R Proxes, Debadged Backend!
Ex \'01 Lagoon Blue MR2 AC/Hardtop, Black Leather

ChrisGB

Don't think is is a massive job. I suspect this is something we will be seeing a lot of on these cars.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

AmeR

From what I've seen / worked out it is a relatively straight forward idea, with loads of annoying bolts getting in the way!! Plus an alignment is needed afterwards.

Drop Spit and Wabbitkilla a PM as I believe they did one recently!!

Anonymous

Id say its 2 to 3 spanners on the Haynes Manual scale.
If you have a go yourself, you can use a stringline down the side of the car to get a rough line-up.
 An hour max labour at a garage, plus alignment.
Just watch out for siezed camber bolts.
PS if you need a step-by step guide just shout.

FGrob

I have been known to take mine off, it's not a difficult job (4 bolts for the subframe, plus another 4 bolts for the suspension arms (could be problems), plus another 4 bolts for the engine mounting, a heat sheild - 3 bolts and finally a few smaller bolts for the plastic undetray and rear nappy, but by the sounds of it you mayl have problems with the toe adjusters bolts (as said above) due to rust - based on the fact the subframe is rotten, so I would certainly look for some decent second hand ones or new if you want to make it last longer. If you manage to get a secondand one from a newer car you will benefit from the additional bracing which was supplied, make sure you get the bars which is an added strength bonus.

As for protection for the future, you can either just get it painted or have powder coated or even nylon coated (which I've done), the most important is to flood the inside with waxoyl, because these things rot inside out due to the heat from the exhaust. I suppose it all this depends on if you are intending to keep it or not.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Wabbitkilla

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   I am now into subframe no.3.
First one = Toe control arm had become rusted in place and the subframe was damage removing it.
Second one = Powder coated before fitment, has served well for approx 2 years but found a 1 inch hole rusted from the inside out and the lower control arm mount on the offside has rusted all along the weld, suspect from the inside too.
Now no.3 = obtained from a 2004 car via a breaker, pilsdonautos on eBay for £60 delivered. Currently with the powder coater for "a good blathering". I intend to use a recommended anti rust treatment internally called Dinitrol, 2 cans of rust converter and 2 cans of cavity wax for £52. Then i will be sealing the beam with Sicaflex on any openings / seams and additional Vinyl wrap in strategic places. This may be over the top but as I'm now on my third cross member I feel it's only sensible.

The price of a new one via CTP is £236+vat, but I would still look at powder coating even with a new one.

So long as you don't have suspension bolts or bushings seized in place it really isn't hard to replace, just plenty of Plusgas and the car up on axle stands .. with the spanners / sockets as said previously. A garage should do the swap in under an hour all being well.

You will need your geometry checked and corrected afterwards though.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

catwoman13cats

Hi all just a wee update, still needing to get this job done so have contacted a few garages locally and been quoted in excess of 5 hrs labour to do the work!!! D*ck can supply the frame for me so does anyone know of a reputable garage in central Scotland....inverclyde/Glasgow don't mind even traveling to the east to get the work done? Need to get this done sooner rather than later as I am getting pure para driving the wee car but feel these garage guys a just taking liberties as I am a blonde lady! Anyone out there who can help much appreciated, thanks Kat
\'54 Red Edition MR2, Devs keyhole covers, Lockwood sills,TTE springs,K&N Panel Filter, RMS Quad Custom SS Exhaust, Toyo T1R Proxes, Debadged Backend!
Ex \'01 Lagoon Blue MR2 AC/Hardtop, Black Leather

K T M Rider

My sister is very happy with the service she has had from Clan Garage In Edinburgh over the last six years with her Octavia, maybe a bit to far from you though and I've no idea if they've ever seen a 2.

Alternatively, Perhaps you could have it repaired in situ ?  - obviously depends on ease of access and how bad it is in the area around the hole. If that's an option you think worth considering then I would maybe try approaching small local welding fabrication companies rather than random garages, if work is slack you may find somewhere prepared to take it on and in my limited experience (I once got one to repair my stainless motorcycle exhaust) such places can easily beat a garage both on price and quality of workmanship.   - just an idea.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Anonymous

Central garage in Johnstone has looked after my cars and my fathers before me for over 30 years, the owner Sandy has been there all that time and has never let me down. PM me if you want a contact number.

doogz

Quote from: "M R 2"Central garage in Johnstone has looked after my cars and my fathers before me for over 30 years, the owner Sandy has been there all that time and has never let me down. PM me if you want a contact number.

You from Johnstone?

I used to live in Elderslie.

If anyone has an old subframe that's corroded they don't want, in the Glasgow area, I'd like one to practice on/repair.

andydicko140

I had my subframe swapped over by a local garage this week (I usually like to jobs like this myself but was sick of waiting for a weekend with decent weather!) after painting it in POR15 to help prevent future rusting.

However, my car is an 03 so had the extra bracing attached and I was assured that the brace I'd bought (via a well known auction site) was from an 06 plate car. But unfortunately there is nowhere for the extra brace bars to fit on to. It sounds to me like I've been sold a pre facelift subframe, any ideas? I'm now pondering ways to reattach the bars to my new subframe but I realise that this may not be possible, or indeed wise.
[size=85]2003 8M6 Blue Roadster
Cobra Sport Quad Exhaust, Stainless Decat Manifold (Heatwrapped), Denso Iridium Plugs, Fuchs Pro S 5w40 Oil, Vent Mounted K&N 57i Induction Kit, Ultra Racing Front & Rear Upper Strut Bracing, Ultra Racing Front & Rear Lower Braces, MattPerformance TTE Brace, CHE ARB\'s, HEL Braided Lines, Tein S Tech Springs... More to come![/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "andydicko140"I had my subframe swapped over by a local garage this week (I usually like to jobs like this myself but was sick of waiting for a weekend with decent weather!) after painting it in POR15 to help prevent future rusting.

However, my car is an 03 so had the extra bracing attached and I was assured that the brace I'd bought (via a well known auction site) was from an 06 plate car. But unfortunately there is nowhere for the extra brace bars to fit on to. It sounds to me like I've been sold a pre facelift subframe, any ideas? I'm now pondering ways to reattach the bars to my new subframe but I realise that this may not be possible, or indeed wise.

I read this post and nearly had a heart attack as I sent a pre crossmember to the OP! Thought Id sent the wrong one, phew!

andydicko140

Sorry D!ck, didn't mean to cause you a coronary! I bought mine from someone else, spent a while waiting for it to be fitted only to find out that instead of an 06 year crossmember (as it was specifically stated in the advert), I've seemingly been sold a pre 03.
Cobra Sport Quad Exhaust, Stainless Decat Manifold (Heatwrapped), Denso Iridium Plugs, Fuchs Pro S 5w40 Oil, Vent Mounted K&N 57i Induction Kit, Ultra Racing Front & Rear Upper Strut Bracing, Ultra Racing Front & Rear Lower Braces, MattPerformance TTE Brace, CHE ARB\'s, HEL Braided Lines, Tein S Tech Springs... More to come![/size]

Anonymous

You know what to do next time!  s:) :) s:)

Wabbitkilla

Che does some bracing that works with the old subframe to mimic the new subframe bracing.
Obviously it will cost you more to do it, but it is an option
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

andydicko140

Thanks Wabbitkilla, really appreciate the help! Does this look like it?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR-S-M ... 1235wt_993 m

Wabbitkilla

That's the one, he used to do just the side pieces too.

sent from a planet somewhere nearby

carolineasb

Hi,

I live not too far away from Johnstone and I've just asked my neighbour who has a Supra where he takes it for maintenance and he goes to the said Central Garage.  If you go there, he says to ask for Martin who he thinks is from Lithuania!!  Apparently, this guy deals with a lot of imports - Supras, Soarers etc & he's sure he has done MR2s too.

Hope this helps,

Caroline
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Anonymous

Hi, can anybody help please ? I have a 2003 roadster and the subframe at some point has been welded together by a previous keep, I'm looking to replace it but can only source earlier ones I.e 2001/2002. Does anybody know if the earlier model will fit my car, I read somewhere it was modified later on but not sure if that's right ? Thanks for your comments in advance !!

onion86

Quote from: "lcs147"Does anybody know if the earlier model will fit my car, I read somewhere it was modified later on but not sure if that's right ?
You obviously haven't actually read this thread before you posted in it because if you read the post from andydicko140 you will find the answer to both of your questions. If you then continue reading down you will also find an alternative way round it if you do decide to fit the old style one.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Tags: