Insurance Claim Advice (Wanted)

Started by zud, May 7, 2004, 23:32

zud

Managed the classic prang earlier tonight.  Approached a local junction with a filter lane left... lights are green... took a quick look to ensure no-one was jumping the lights or doing a U-turn back onto my lane... turned back to seee the bloke in front had stopped... guess what happened next!  

Anyway, the good news is that non-one was hurt (the bloke I hit seemed a bit shocked/dazed at first, but was OK).  And I guess it was sort of good news that I was driving my wife's focus and not the '2!

Here's where the advice comes in... we're both insured fully comp, and have each other as named drivers.  We both have full NCB, but mine are protected.  My wife's car doesn't look too bad... needs a new fog lamp, but bumper has more-or-less popped back into shape.  My wife isn't bothered about small mark/dent in bumper.  So...

option 1:  Claim on wife's insurance... can get wife's car repaired if we want to, she loses NCB, and they raise my premium for having an accident.  Will they raise hers as well?

option 2:  Claim on my insurance... cannot claim for wife's car, but only fog-lamp to pay for, both keep NCB, and they raise my premium for having an accident.  Will they raise hers as I'm a named driver?  

option 3:  Something I haven't thought of like insurance small print that says they'll decide which insurance we claim from, they can raise both premiums and/or NCB protection only valid if driving own car!!  

I seem to remember someone here being an insurance guru (Roger?).  Any advice or things to look out for? (other than stationary cars!!)

Oh yeah, one final thing... if I switch insurance companies (later this month) will they still give me full NCB, or does protected NCB depend on staying with same insurer?
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Here's what happened to us.

Both insured with Direct Line.

MR2 - Insured in Kerties name, me as named driver
Focus - Insured in my name, Kerstie as named driver

Kerstie - 5 years NCB
Me - No NCB (passed test 1.5 year ago).

In focus, hit by unknown 3rd party, very big claim!
In focus, Kerstie did EXACTLY what just happened to you (only £300 claimed).

Direct Line put the second claim on Kerstie's name as my named driver.  They told me if we split up and the name is removed then the claim is also removed.

We have now sold focus and have 1 Celica.  Have now spoken to 3 insurance companies for re-quotes and stated BOTH claims (from another policy) and they have all said it makes no difference to the new policy as the claims where mine, and thus as a named driver they do not worry about it.

Strange, but in effect they are wiped.  Kerstie has the NCB, so they dont seem to care.

Oh, and when the MR2 policy was renewed, we stated both claims and the policy did not change.

zud

Thanks Craig.  We're both with DL too.  So hopefully we'll be able to go with option 2 and keep both NCB.  If they don't raise my premium that will be an added bonus!  Then wait and see what DIG say later.

heathstimpson

If there is minimal damage it may be better to just ask the bloke you hit to get a quote to weigh up against your excess and having to declare an accident  s:) :) s:)  Or did you total the car infront  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

zud

Yeah, the car in front was worse... The front left of mine hit the middle of his... hatch-back boot lid, rear panel, boot floor for starters!  I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to a couple of years' worth of premiums.

Anonymous

Regardless of whether you claim or not, its still an accident.

When you renew or change insurance, they as "have you had an accident in the last...."  The answer would be yes regardless of claim.

Anonymous

Zud,

I'm an Underwriter for Zurich Insurance and my take on your prob is this:

From your description of the third party damage - a claim is pretty much inevitable.

Option 2 is pretty much a non-starter.  As you are named on your wifes policy - that is the most relevant policy in force at the time of the accident.  If you were'nt named on the wifes policy, the "driving other cars" extension under you own policy would deal with the TP damage in the way you've described - but as you are named, your wife's insurers will be dealing.

Re. option 1 - the excess on your wife's policy should determine whether you claim for your own damage.  The third party WILL be claiming so the effect on your wife's future premiums will be the same whether you claim for your own damage or not.  However, you may be able to source your own repairs for less than your excess and it would make sense to do so if that were the case.  If your wifes NCD is unprotected it WILL be stepped back, even though you were driving at the time of the accident.

As to whether your own premium will be affected by you having an accident that's dealt with by your wife's insurer - this depends on your own insurer's underwriting philosophy.  You will have to definitely have to declare the accident at next renewal.....  

I've heard of insurance companies loading premiums the longer a person goes without an accident as the law of averages suggests that everyone is due one, and there is a widely held belief that you become a more careful driver after you've had it.  Therefore, in theory your own premium could come down as a result of the accident! (Sounds bizarre I know but that's how it is)

HTH

Feel free to drop me a line if you need any more.

Ray

zud

Thanks Ray.  Before I rang them, I had a feeling they would say my wife's was the "most releveant policy" (though I didn't know the official term for it).  But they were happy for me to put the claim against my insurance.  Maybe it's because we're both with the same insurer(?) I discussed options with them when I registered the claim, and asked explicitly about NCB etc... So unless they change their minds, it's going against mine, my wife's insurance will be unaffected (unless they load it because of a dodgy named driver!), and mine will be unaffected because of my protected NCB.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "cstevens"Regardless of whether you claim or not, its still an accident.

When you renew or change insurance, they as "have you had an accident in the last...."  The answer would be yes regardless of claim.
But if an accident is not declared to the insurance companies no-one knows. Does everyone declare every single small incident that occurs as with a minor scratch from a post etc. I think not  s:? :? s:?  If you go along with that philosphy many would be declaring quite a few accidents. Someone wacked their door into mine in the carpark, a kid caught his bike against my bumper  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "zud"Thanks Ray.  Before I rang them, I had a feeling they would say my wife's was the "most releveant policy" (though I didn't know the official term for it).  But they were happy for me to put the claim against my insurance.  Maybe it's because we're both with the same insurer(?) I discussed options with them when I registered the claim, and asked explicitly about NCB etc... So unless they change their minds, it's going against mine, my wife's insurance will be unaffected (unless they load it because of a dodgy named driver!), and mine will be unaffected because of my protected NCB.

Zud, like you I'm guessing that it must be because you're both with the same insurer.  I'd be interested to know what happens with your premiums at renewal.  Would you mind dropping a line to let me know   s:) :) s:)    s:?: :?: s:?:

zud

Will do... only a couple of weeks until renewal.  On the phone, they said they shouldn't be effected because of the protection.  My guess was that the basic premium would go up, so it would still go up after full NCB.  Let's hope I'm wrong!

Anonymous

It shouldnt change, you are both with DL, the same as we where.

Tags: