17" wheel check.

Started by Anonymous, June 21, 2012, 18:23

Anonymous

Hi . Hopefully picking up a low mileage mr2 on saturday.Looking to put some 17" alloys on.
Brand : MSW (by OZ)
Model : 20 4 Stud
Diameter : 17 Inch
Bolt Pattern : 4x100
Offset : 42

I am thinking Falken 452 205/40 17 front and 215/40 17 rear.
Any problems with this set up?
 this is the link to these wheels   http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/17_Inch_MSW_20_4_Stud_Black_Ex_Display_Alloy_Wheels__4506

Anonymous

Rears want to be 225/35r17 to suit the fronts

Anonymous

I have 17" wheels front and back so the set ups I have seen on here are  40 profiles  why the 35 profile on the rear?

FGrob

Quote from: "Brittas"I have 17" wheels front and back so the set ups I have seen on here are  40 profiles  why the 35 profile on the rear?
Because you are going wider so you need to reduce the profile or your overall diameter increases to much.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Nath

I am running on Falken 452's 205/40 R17 on the front and 225/35 R17 on the rear all on the same 17" x 7J rims. I find them to be very good in both the wet and the dry.

Anonymous

Quote from: "FGrob"
Quote from: "Brittas"I have 17" wheels front and back so the set ups I have seen on here are  40 profiles  why the 35 profile on the rear?
Because you are going wider so you need to reduce the profile or your overall diameter increases to much.

If you dont want to alter the gearing, then you need to keep as close as possible to the original overall diameter of the standard tyre. A larger diameter will slow your 0-60 time, but lower your motorway cruising revs. Your choice.

There are good guides on the net to guide you in sizing. Cue Bryan!

Anonymous

I have read you may get rubbing issuues with 17" set up?

Anonymous

sounds good Falken 452's 205/40 R17 on the front and 225/35 R17 on the rear it is then. I will be putting winter tyres on my old set of standard alloys.

Anonymous

m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_(wheel m )

Have a look at this. If the wheels you are fitting dont have a compatible offset, then the tyres may foul the arch liner on the inside, or the edge of the wing on the outside. You need to take care, particularly when fitting wider tyres than standard. If you copy a setup which someone else has already proven to be good, youll save yourself some possible grief.

PS The KUMHO winter tyres seem good. HWMBO and I both have them. Good value and functional, not found any ditches so far.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: