There must be some good ones out there?..........

Started by AckersMR2, June 27, 2012, 15:09

AckersMR2

Is it just me or does there seems to be a worrying tread recently of new and old (experienced) owners asking the same dreaded question "My 2 seems to have developed a sudden thirst for oil", some of those now including the, what I thought was the revised 03> engine?

I understand if current car owners don't want to say anything in fear of tempting fate or bringing sods law into play, but there must be some past owners or current ones who have had previous 2's which haven't lunched their engines and have happily purred along without the need for more than a little fettling and an annual service?

It would be nice to think we're not all sitting on a ticking time bomb!
My only car is a Ducati 

dcod

Don't ask me, I've got a 2zz ... that's burning oil   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Stephster

OK, I am bit scared, but here I go tempting fate. Owned my Y reg since last April at 136,600 miles. She had new manifold fitted in 2006. She is now on 142,000 and apart from oil changes at the two services she has had, has never needed any oil topping up.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

iPap

Ive posted info on this site before only to be told it's rubbish!

But I did buy a brand new bottom end to replace mine when the engine failed as my info says there are only a few cars that will be trouble free!
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

AckersMR2

Well I had a look at howmanyleft and it states there are a little over 11,000 on the road  so I can't believe a large majority of them have been though and engine rebuild?
And with the age/value they are at now, in a lot of cases it's beyond economical repair to fix them, so if they are all destined to develope a thirst for the black stuff then that figure is going to fall dramatically over the next few years?

Perhaps I'd better take a little extra care of my car as it could soon become a rare classic for all the wrong reasons  s:( :( s:(
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Quote from: "iPap"my info says there are only a few cars that will be trouble free!

Really? Don't you think its strange then, especially with the newest cars now being 6 years old, that the majority of cars on the forum are trouble free? Bear in mind also, that many owners only find and join the forum when they have a problem, which means the forum will show a higher than average percentage of cars with problems.

I see about half a dozen twos regularly where i live, none of which are on this forum and i am pretty sure are all blissfully unaware of precats/oil control ring problems, they do not appear to be experiencing any problems.

To state that "only a few cars will be trouble free" does seem to contradict all other evidence so far.

mrzwei

Yeah, all forums are the same, the MGF one was full of head gasket failures, the Saab one is full of sludged up engines, the Talbot one is full of gear linkage problems, the STM is going to fail, the Z3 will develop gear linkage problems etc. etc.

All part of the risk assessment you have to make when buying a particular car.

A good strategy now would be to buy a cheap used two with a stuffed engine and get that refurbed by an expert and keep it for a few years.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Steve Green

Have to agree. All the time things are going fine, nobody posts. When things go slightly wrong people post. When I bought my 2003 faclift SMT, I did my homework, talking to the previous owner (bought it from a dealer) and on the balance of information available, did a risk assessment, and bought the car for what I thought was a good price.
With the current value of pre 2003 cars, they still command a reasonable price as breakers, so all is not necessarily lost.
Almost any car suffers the same or worse problems, it's just that in this case we know that MrT recognised a problem, but look at the recent recalls on current models etc.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Tags: