We are spoilt! (A general appreciation thread!)

Started by chris3boro, July 6, 2012, 22:35

chris3boro

Ok so I know we all own/have owned/or just love the Roadster, but bias aside we can all agree how good they are even straight out of the factory irrespective of pre/post facelift/spec etc.

There's just something about the Roadster that gets under your skin.

Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts like I did   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Anonymous

Elise seats are awful, roof is a joke. Getting in and out? Dont bother.  And does it have an LSD?

2 of the left

I don't want to get rid of my 2 - EVER - At my age, though, I daresay my next vehicle will be mobility chariot with " go faster stripes"!!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
The 2 causes problems to security people - As I came out of the Naval Base today during a Security Alert I was pulled over and asked to open the boot!! "Sorry I can't" says I - You can guess the rest!!!  s:? :? s:?
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

chris3boro

Quote from: "dick2ski"Elise seats are awful, roof is a joke. Getting in and out? Dont bother.  And does it have an LSD?

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'm not buying one! But I wouldn't mind a test drive one day just to see what the hype is about.

My Dad had a Westfield and that was the only other car (supercars aside) I have driven which was as fun/involving as the roadster. Less is so very much more!

Anonymous

Quote from: "chris3boro"
Quote from: "dick2ski"Elise seats are awful, roof is a joke. Getting in and out? Dont bother.  And does it have an LSD?

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'm not buying one! But I wouldn't mind a test drive one day just to see what the hype is about.

My Dad had a Westfield and that was the only other car (supercars aside) I have driven which was as fun/involving as the roadster. Less is so very much more!

Gaz, a member on here who also hails from Warrington has one and loves it, having moved over from a 2. He has a skinny a*se though! He comes to a few meets, so look out for him. Elise is made from plastic, same stuff as your bath!

mrzwei

Slightly out of context but just catching up on some 'Practical Classsics' reading.
John Simister (ex 'Motor' test driver I think) on certain Toyota cars using the 4A-GE engine (so a Mk2? But the configuration is the same).

' Think of it as a mini-Ferrari, .... classic car enthusiasts should be fighting over the unrusty ones and values should be heading for the stars, but they're not.'

A case of 'hang on in there' methinks.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

AmeR

After seeing a GT86 in the metal today at Toyota, the thought did cross my mind...

Problem is, it'd have to be both of them on the driveway!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Stephster

I have to hold my hands up and admit that I thought I was buying her just for a Summer, and here I am  over a year later. I am already worrying about what to do when she goes to be one of D*ck's organ donors.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

2 of the left

Quote from: "Stephster"I have to hold my hands up and thought I was buying her just for a Summer, and here I am  over a year later. I am already worrying about what to do when she goes to be one of D*ck's organ donors.
I kept my Mk 2 going for 17 years until swapping for the Roadster!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Stephster"I have to hold my hands up and thought I was buying her just for a Summer, and here I am  over a year later. I am already worrying about what to do when she goes to be one of D*ck's organ donors.

There is no reason  why we shouldnt be driving these in 20 years time. Quite a few will outlive us! Yes, there are one or two weak components, but the majority of the car is bullet proof.

Jay67

no intention of getting rid of mine till it finally rusts out underneath me (or i inadvertently park it in a tree), then i'll shop around for another one  s:) :) s:)
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Anonymous

Yep not much in the way of alternatives out there,just seems to be bland eco cars being produced.I've had mine for 5&1/2  years although a Maserati 3200GT peaked my interest recently but the running costs would cripple me.

johnha

for what its worth, heres my thoughts on it -
my daily car (doesnt matter what it is) cost me 10 grand, its 18 months old, it does everthing it says on the tin, its got most of the toys etc etc..
my 2 is 9yrs old, cost me 3500, it is standard spec etc etc - the answer to every following question ends in 2!
when it rains, which car did i wish i had covered?
which car cant i wait to drive at the weekend?
which car do i enjoy cleaning?
which car do i look at and smile?
the list is endless!
cost verses car - in my opinion you cant trade up! sometimes you just have to accept its all down hill after owning this amazing little gem, just my opinion....ps i love being spoilt.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jay67"no intention of getting rid of mine till it finally rusts out underneath me (or i inadvertently park it in a tree), then i'll shop around for another one  s:) :) s:)
Been there done that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Had the original Slapa for nine years and was less than a thousand miles from hitting 100k when I flipped it in Tuscany last year, just over two weeks after getting back Slapa 2 was bought

chris3boro

Yep, sounds like Roadster fever is very real!  s:D :D s:D

onion86

Had my 2000 4 years then upgraded to a '55 so I can keep it at least another 5  s;-) ;-) s;-)  

I think I might have to always keep the '2.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

stargazer30

Quote from: "AmeR"After seeing a GT86 in the metal today at Toyota, the thought did cross my mind...

Problem is, it'd have to be both of them on the driveway!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I just looked at one this week at the local Toyota.  This is the only car to date I'd consider leaving the MR2 for.  Just too pricey at the moment, so I'm going to wait a few years till they are in the £15K price range.

In the mean time the MR2 puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.  The only bit that spoils it for me is most people close to me complain about it.  Brother can't fit in it, wife scared to drive it, dads always telling me off for driving too fast (regardless of speed anything over 2.5K rpm) kids fight over who gets to go in it   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

chris3boro

Quote from: "onion86"Had my 2000 4 years then upgraded to a '55 so I can keep it at least another 5  s;-) ;-) s;-)  

I think I might have to always keep the '2.

Hmmm. I bought a 2000 plate about 3 months ago....maybe an '05 or similar is in order in a few years   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

AmeR

Quote from: "stargazer30"
Quote from: "AmeR"After seeing a GT86 in the metal today at Toyota, the thought did cross my mind...

I just looked at one this week at the local Toyota.  This is the only car to date I'd consider leaving the MR2 for.  Just too pricey at the moment, so I'm going to wait a few years till they are in the £15K price range.

I have the same plan!!
Though I still don't want to give up the 2 for it - I want both!!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

mike74656

having driven mitsubishi pajeros for the last 7 years, and always wanting an MR2 i can honestly say, that i'll deffo be keeping this as long as there is spare parts.

the mitsi is for playing in the mud. and family stuff

the 2 is for..............well we all know the answer to that   s8) 8) s8)

MisterK

Had the '2' since new & keeping it forever!
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

2 of the left

Chucking it down when I came out of work to retrieve the 2 from car park - The 2 was even shining in the rain!!!

chris3boro

Quote from: "2 of the left"Chucking it down when I came out of work to retrieve the 2 from car park - The 2 was even shining in the rain!!!

Is it just me or is it just as fun driving in the pouring rain in the 2 as it is in the sunshine? (well, almost!) I think it's because the fundamental parts to a great drivers car can still be enjoyed (great steering feel and sharpness, positive clutch/brakes etc) Ahhh yes!   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Anonymous

Quote from: "2 of the left"Chucking it down when I came out of work to retrieve the 2 from car park - The 2 was even shining in the rain!!!

Is it just me or is it just as fun driving in the pouring rain in the 2 as it is in the sunshine? (well, almost!) I think it's because the fundamental parts to a great drivers car can still be enjoyed (great steering feel and sharpness, positive clutch/brakes etc) Ahhh yes!   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Plus superb softtop.

chris3boro

Quote from: "dick2ski"

Plus superb softtop.

This is true!

Tags: