We are spoilt! (A general appreciation thread!)

Started by chris3boro, July 6, 2012, 22:35

AckersMR2

I like to listen to the rain on the soft top, I find it rather calming  s:) :) s:)
My only car is a Ducati 

chris3boro

Quote from: "AckersMR2"I like to listen to the rain on the soft top, I find it rather calming  s:) :) s:)

Ooh ooh, me too me too!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I noticed that properly for the first time the other day during one of our monsoon days!

Something else I love...the look of the dials when lit up at night, in particular the rev counter and how it looks like an orange tunnel right in front of you at night...small things!

AndrewMason

I love the responsive feel of 2 but the rear end weight distribution constantly bothers me (I have spun out in another RWD and its no fun).

Often wondered about the S2000. Apart from high insurance the list price of early ones are similar to late 2, and reliabilty is not questioned. Most are owned and loved by enthusiasts.

...and it has a boot!

Andrew.
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

AmeR

It's near on 50:50 weight distribution on the car. Why do you think the engine is where it is and there's no boot to stop you affecting this!?

chris3boro

Quote from: "AndrewMason"I love the responsive feel of 2 but the rear end weight distribution constantly bothers me (I have spun out in another RWD and its no fun).

Often wondered about the S2000. Apart from high insurance the list price of early ones are similar to late 2, and reliabilty is not questioned. Most are owned and loved by enthusiasts.

...and it has a boot!

Andrew.

I don't feel that way about the 2's twitchiness. I also see an S2000 as more of a GT car than a back to basics sports car, and from what I have read they are notoriously twitchy too! If in doubt, drive one and see what you think.

celmacmat

Hard to find something as engaging as the 2.

Look at my signature and you will understand   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

The first car I drove in the UK was a Ford Capri 3l Gahia - V6 - Fantastic Fun to drive, not good on the wallet (140 miles with a full tank Ouchhhh)

Then I bought my first MR2... the rest is history!

When I had to sell Marsupette in August 2010, it was the sadest day and I did cry seeing it been driven away from my drive by someone else.

I did not own a car after that, until Monday when I bought Maurice... I just can't stop grinning   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

aglassinthesink

i've actually been entertaining the thought of selling up recently, simply because i need something more practical and i don't have room for a 2nd car. so i've been looking at other cars alot but where to begin? i want a sporty car and given a £10k budget i've looked at loads of different models, 350z's to m3's audis to mazdas, and nothing interests me! every time i see another car i just think of a reason not to sell my '2 for it. my '2 has everything i need except a boot and every time i drive her i just think this car is all i need, even sitting next to a passenger bundled up with so much stuff they can't see out the windscreen   s:? :? s:?  

the only other cars i'd like to own would be a Porsche Caymen (can't afford) and a VX220 (which would give me the same problems i have now, so no point in buying)
-Paul

[size=85]2006 Toyota mr2 in silver. K&N 57i Gen 2, JDM badge and a blingy engine bay[/size]

chris3boro

Quote from: "celmacmat"Hard to find something as engaging as the 2.

Look at my signature and you will understand   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

The first car I drove in the UK was a Ford Capri 3l Gahia - V6 - Fantastic Fun to drive, not good on the wallet (140 miles with a full tank Ouchhhh)

Then I bought my first MR2... the rest is history!

When I had to sell Marsupette in August 2010, it was the sadest day and I did cry seeing it been driven away from my drive by someone else.

I did not own a car after that, until Monday when I bought Maurice... I just can't stop grinning   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Yeh I have owned 2 mk2 MR2's, a non turbo and a 275bhp turbo, and as much as I loved them both the Roadster is simply more 'fun' 80% of the time (the 20% being overtaking opportunities or slip roads when the turbo was obviously fun for different reasons.) I do love the economy of the roadster too though, it just ticks all the boxes for me at this stage in my life.

Quote from: "aglassinthesink"i've actually been entertaining the thought of selling up recently, simply because i need something more practical and i don't have room for a 2nd car. so i've been looking at other cars alot but where to begin? i want a sporty car and given a £10k budget i've looked at loads of different models, 350z's to m3's audis to mazdas, and nothing interests me! every time i see another car i just think of a reason not to sell my '2 for it. my '2 has everything i need except a boot and every time i drive her i just think this car is all i need, even sitting next to a passenger bundled up with so much stuff they can't see out the windscreen   s:? :? s:?  

the only other cars i'd like to own would be a Porsche Caymen (can't afford) and a VX220 (which would give me the same problems i have now, so no point in buying)

How about keeping the '2 and having a cheaper runaround with a big boot?!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

QuoteHow about keeping the '2 and having a cheaper runaround with a big boot?!

Bangernomics. There are some howling bargains in the no status range. Ultra low mileage functional boxes driven occasionally by grandads. All you need is a brown paper bag over your head, so your mates dont see you driving!

Anonymous

Well my 2 is my practical everyday car. Yes the lack of boot is a major issue! I had to borrow my dads van to go camping last weekend as impossible to get a tent and bags x2 in that car :/
Apart from that though, it makes me smile driving it everyday and even more so that unlike the RX7 I'm not constantly watching the fuel gauge.
My only negative is the under steer you can get from the lack of weight over the front! You get used to how to throw the front into a corner but it differs in technique to nearly all other cars I've owned/driven.

chris3boro

I spent most of yesterday cleaning the '2 and doing a few little jobs such as cleaning the MAF for the first time since I bought her 3 months ago and upping the tyre pressures at the rear to 36psi (as many suggest on T1R's)....totally different car. Pulls much better/smoother now since the MAF clean (clearly needed doing in hindsight!), and handles even better with new tyre pressures. If you've not thought about looking at these then do it now!  s:D :D s:D

creamykiwi

This thread is very comforting - having regularly driven a 1l Micra, a type R civic, and a 1.3 corolla, plus occasional use of a range rover... now I have the 2, there is no way I could go back to a normal car. I intend to keep her going until either there are no spare parts or I park her in a tree, to borrow someone else's expression! I'd give up my flat and move home before selling her, I think she is the one great love of my life  s:D :D s:D  And I had no idea I'd feel like this - just thought it'd be fun to have a sports car for a year or so  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

(however, I will need a banger with a back seat and a boot when I eventually get a house that will also fit a greyhound in... but that's a way off!)

chris3boro

Went pony trekking in Thirsk yesterday with my fiancee and parents, was a lovely day so drove the 2 with the roof down and it was great, driving through lovely little villages in North Yorkshire, exhaust burbling and popping from time to time, bikers watching as you go past.... that's what it's all about  s:) :) s:)

2 of the left

Had the best compliment regarding the 2 today from an MX5 driver. He approached me after gawking for a full 5 mins and said "I was thinking of selling the 5 and getting the new one that's coming down the line but seeing your Roadster I'm having "2"nd thoughts!!!!  s:D :D s:D    s:idea: :idea: s:idea:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

chris3boro

Quote from: "2 of the left"Had the best compliment regarding the 2 today from an MX5 driver. He approached me after gawking for a full 5 mins and said "I was thinking of selling the 5 and getting the new one that's coming down the line but seeing your Roadster I'm having "2"nd thoughts!!!!  s:D :D s:D    s:idea: :idea: s:idea:

Cool!

I have to say, every time I see an MX5 I always think 'I am so glad I bought the Roadster'. I drove an mx5 (mk2) a while ago and was somewhat underwhelmed-very capable but lacked any kind of emotive response for me, which is what these kind of cars should offer in bucket loads. I think the mid layout of a roadster helps give it  amore exotic feel and it feels more 'special' despite it's modest cost and good economy etc

stewart@boro

If I had the cash the the alternative would be the mclaren which overtook me on the a19 this afternoon

Chris, PONY TRECKING!!! When you could have been out with me and Mr MR2 on Sunday, what are you thinking about. As it was had a blast down to Helmsley with the bikers for breakfast
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

chris3boro

Quote from: "Stewart@Boro"If I had the cash the the alternative would be the mclaren which overtook me on the a19 this afternoon

Chris, PONY TRECKING!!! When you could have been out with me and Mr MR2 on Sunday, what are you thinking about. As it was had a blast down to Helmsley with the bikers for breakfast

McLaren?! lol

Yep it was during the afternoon so not the reason I couldnt make the morning. My fiancee fancied it, to be fair it was actually good fun, shows you can go just about anywhere with 1 pony-power!

stewart@boro

Only experienced 1 horse power once, never again
The horse got stung and shot off up the Coneston Fells with me hanging on for dear life
Only did it as a bet to get a girl friend to give rock climbing a go!!

Are we still on for a trip to York at the end of the month?
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

chris3boro

Quote from: "Stewart@Boro"Are we still on for a trip to York at the end of the month?

Looks like it so far  s:) :) s:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway back on topic.....

I love that the rev counter is right infront of you, a signal of intent methinks!  s:D :D s:D

2 of the left

Had to drive "her indoors" Panzer craft(SLK) to refuel tonight - WHAT A BORING DRIVE!! Nearly fell asleep - Compared to the 2 everything seemed to be in slow motion!!  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Anonymous

Quote from: "2 of the left"Had to drive "her indoors" Panzer craft(SLK) to refuel tonight - WHAT A BORING DRIVE!! Nearly fell asleep - Compared to the 2 everything seemed to be in slow motion!!  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

+1. HWMBO has a 97 SLK. Superb roof, cr*p car.

chris3boro

Never driven the original SLK but hear awful things in terms of a 'sports car'. Roof looks very Ikea though   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Stick with a '2  s:D :D s:D

jinxedkitten

My relationship with my '2 (short, but passionate) can be summed up in 2 words:

"Lesbian Mechophillia"

I have tried to decide just what it is i love about driving her and why 90% of other cars feel like driving a bar of soap through a sock filled with custard in comparison.
And I have come to the conclusion that its all about how connected i feel to her when I'm driving.
The engine just behind the seat, the feedback throught the cushion, the noise, the response from steering input, the reply from the pedals...all makes me feel like she's part of me.

I don't care she has less carrying capacity than my husband's triumph.
I don't care she's not quite the most fuel efficient (even whilst tryign to save for a mortgage).
I don't care the flies hit the front so hard they are almost impssoble to get off.
I don't care she's not the newest of the new.

She's mine and I love her
  s:-D :-D s:-D
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

2 of the left

Had my 2 nearly a year now and I'm still finding longer routes home from work - I just don't want to open the door and get out!!!!  s:? :? s:?    s8) 8) s8)

K T M Rider

Quote from: "jinxedkitten"90% of other cars feel like driving a bar of soap through a sock filled with custard in comparison.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Tags: