Spare Wheel

Started by Anonymous, July 10, 2003, 10:18

Anonymous

If the new MR2 has 15" front and 16" rear wheels what size is the spare? Does that mean that really you need 2 spare wheels?

Anonymous

Quote from: "martinha"If the new MR2 has 15" front and 16" rear wheels what size is the spare? Does that mean that really you need 2 spare wheels?

While the wheel itself is larger on the rear, the profile of the tire is smaller, so the wheels are 'about' the same size. The spare will fit the front or rear of the car, but IMHO i would not drive too fast with the spare on the rear as im sure it would affect the handling of the car.

Anonymous

Most cars have a 'space saver' spare wheel that is in some way a different size to the real thing.  This just means that you should only use the spare to get to the garage to get you tyre fixed.

You shouldn't drive faster than 40 or 50 mph with the spare on.

--H--

Anonymous

... Or brake hard, or corner quickly ...

markiii

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "martinha"If the new MR2 has 15" front and 16" rear wheels what size is the spare? Does that mean that really you need 2 spare wheels?

While the wheel itself is larger on the rear, the profile of the tire is smaller, so the wheels are 'about' the same size. The spare will fit the front or rear of the car, but IMHO i would not drive too fast with the spare on the rear as im sure it would affect the handling of the car.

Before you have an accident, you are supposed to put the spare on the front and one of the fronts on the rear should the problem be with your rear wheel. Other wise the difference in contact patch between corners when putting down power will be bloody dangerous.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Before you have an accident, you are supposed to put the spare on the front and one of the fronts on the rear should the problem be with your rear wheel. Other wise the difference in contact patch between corners when putting down power will be bloody dangerous.

Thats what i was thinking after you told me about the tire width's when i was looking to upgrade... i know i personally would not want to put the skinny spare on the rear!    s:o :o s:o

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Before you have an accident, you are supposed to put the spare on the front and one of the fronts on the rear should the problem be with your rear wheel. Other wise the difference in contact patch between corners when putting down power will be bloody dangerous.
IIRC I read in the manual that the wheels were shaped to stop you putting the worong wheels on (i.e. back wheel on the front of the car).

Presumably that only applies to back on front and not vice versa then?

--H--

Anonymous

Wow, that sounds like a real pain in the arse.  Let's hope that either the front goes, or that it's not raining.... otherwise the car will be up and down like a bloomin' pogo stick.

Anonymous

Just a thought....does the rear wheel fit in the front bay...visions of changing the wheel, then having to rest the flat on my head or something.

Tire Weald is looking more interesting after all this confusion.  Anyway...changing wheels....isnt that why I joined the AA?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Tire Weald is looking more interesting after all this confusion.
Yes

Quote from: "cstevens"Anyway...changing wheels....isnt that why I joined the AA?
And yes.

s:) :) s:)  

That's my philosophy anyway.

--H--

Anonymous

Went for the "gamble" of the tin of Tyre Weld personally!

Anonymous

Certainly seems like the easier and maybe safer option to be honest.

I presume once used its a new tyre jobby?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"I presume once used its a new tyre jobby?

All I've read says that once you've used tyre weld, the tyre people won't touch the thing with a barge pole.  So no repairs.

As for the rear tyre in the bin, it's only 2 centimers wider than the front I think, so shouldn't be a problem.

Anonymous

Cool..about the bin I mean, not about paying for another tyre.

Tell you what, this Sunday at Mark's we will wack one of the 03 rears in the front bin just to check...we have to get the wheels off anyway to fit our posh new flaps.

Anonymous

Tyre Weld fors a rubber like seal inside your tyre.  If you've done a Tyre Weld fix when the tyre comes off the Tyre Weld can be peeled off like a strip of rubber so the tyre should still be fix-able.

Some places will stick their nose up at having to clean the Tyre Weld off the wheel and tyre but if they do just try somewhere else.  It's not that big a job really!

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Tell you what, this Sunday at Mark's we will wack one of the 03 rears in the front bin just to check...we have to get the wheels off anyway to fit our posh new flaps.

Sounds like a good plan.

Anonymous

I carry Tyre Weld, but then I'd also never run on a repaired tyre, so I'm not bothered about the cleaning-up issue.

Repaired tyres might be okay for "normal" use, but I just don't have the confidence to give them a punishing, especially on-track. I've already junked a pair of otherwise-good (plenty of tread left) fronts because of a puncture, and would do the same again.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; tyres are the only thing keeping your car on the road. Don't skimp.

Anonymous

Thanks Phil and the rest of you, I am becoming more convicnced that this is probably the way to go.  I presume its just purchased from Halfords.

What is the milage and speed that can be done with this stuff, I think its about 40mph, but just wondered how far you could go...obviosuly to go and get your tyre replaced.

Tags: