First post, couple of questions on buying a 2..

Started by Anonymous, May 11, 2004, 23:34

Anonymous

Hi,

my very first post, have had some technical difficulties with the forum, but SteveJ has very kindly sorted the problems this evening, thanks.

Anyway, I hope its ok to have joined this site as I am actually not an 2 owner (not yet!). I have been looking to buy a "new" car for the last few months and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion (largely due to this site) that the 2 is the car for me.

I have a fairly limited budget 10 - 11k and naturally want to get as much as I can for the money.

I currently own a 96 Saab 900 Turbo, so I guess my first question (and the one that is worrying me slightly) is: will I be dissapointed in the performance of the 2 compared to the Saab?

Also, should I wait till Christmas time for a better deal?

Many thanks...Motto   s:D :D s:D

MRMike

Okay I'll be the first to say it.... "HELLO MOTTO!!!" (In motorolla tone)  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Great car you've started to have a look round for..I must say i wuite like your soon to be old steed though..I presume it's a 2.0 turbo? In terms of performance I think you'll find your going to miss a bit from the mid range, but TBO not many mainstream cars have got the midrange shove of a 900 Turbo.  I can remember my old man test driving one..

Acceleration up to 100 I don't think there would be that much in it really..at most it will be a few seconds..after you've driven the 2 through a few corners in the summer with the roof down you'll wonder if you really care about those few seconds.  You don't mention if you like your cars to handle well, but the difference between the 2 and the 900 will be immense..Wasn't the 900 based on the previous generation Cavalier underpinnings? You'll love RWD as well!

Oh sorry we were talking about performance..! Well in terms of braking performance the 2 will eclipse the Saab also.  

In summary yeah you might miss that midrange turbo whallop in quantitative terms, but you wont in qualitative as the 2 makes up for it in so many areas!

Oh and in the winter get a pair of gloves, as you might miss the Heated wheel in your 900! (IIRC!)
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

mrstarface

I'm going to jump on this thread for my first post too!

I'm in a similar position, coming into some money (redundancy) at the end of the year and want a 2. I expect to have 10-11k to spend and although its almost unbearable having to wait was thinking would probably get a better deal at the end of the year rather than just before summer?

Currently got a H reg Celica which was great 4 years ago but is really showing its age now, impressed with reliability though so its a Toyota all the way for me!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Alright Motto! And you mrstarface!

Right, I don't think there is a comparison in terms of outright midrange shove in the 2 and the 900. The 900 wins all the way. Those things are DAMN fast there (used to be faster than a Ferrari 328 from 50-70 mph in 3rd, 4th and 5th on the first gen 900 you know!) and the 2 would no way keep up. But, what you lose there, you gain in every other respect. The cornering, roadholding, feel, the removeable top (just WAIT for summer. You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.....), the looks........there are SOOOOO many things that outweigh the 900 for sheer enjoyment, that the loss of the midrange is more than compensated for in the fact that you will be able to go round corners!!!

No comparison boys. Just get in one, test drive it, then wait a while for the grin to reduce, then put that deposit down. Just make sure you look around for the RIGHT car........

Good luck lads and happy motoring! (In your 2 of course!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Anonymous

Hi! What John said.  And yes, waiting until after the summer will probably reduce the prices a little for you.

Anonymous

Hi Motto,

In November last year I got rid of my 2001 SAAB 9-5 2.3 LPT for an MR2.

I have had a grin on my face ever since. It is a totally different car in a lot of respects, but I don't think you will regret it for a minute. I would never go back.   s:D :D s:D  GO FOR IT !!!!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

As I am starting to look into selling mine, I will try and give you an unbiased response in the following points:

You will get a car cheaper in winter, but then you'll miss this summer.

I believe 10-11k buys the earliest cars, that may be a bit leggy.  They will also be out of warranty.  It might be worth your while stretching a bit to get one in wty because then you can get any niggles fixed.

Although Toyotas can handle the miles, high mileage is not popular with buyers of this type of car.
Check for accident damage, cos some have been spun due to lift-off oversteer and mid-engined cars' tendancy to be v.difficult to catch if they spin (physics: they spin fast cos all the weight is close to the spin axis).

Most cars seem to have had new alloys fitted due to corrosion, so check that.

Pick your colour carefully as that can have re-sale implications.

Pick your transmission: manual or SMT (sequential manual - this is not auto) - some like the SMT, some don't.  The SMT is everybit as quick, but the gearchanging needs the correct accelerator lifting technique.  The only place it's not as quick is from standstill for 0-60 times as you don't have launch control.  Down changes are sublime!

Pick your options.  Leather is nice, but gets hot in the summer.  Air Con is (in my opinion) essential - not just for keeping cool, but for demisting on rainy days, or when you go out with wet hair!

That's pretty much it.  Enjoy.  And, remember, all prices are just starting prices and are negociable.

Anonymous

Pretty much what everyone else has said. I traded in my Volvo 805 T-5 for my '2. You will miss the performance especailly the mid range. Like the saab not much will keep up 50-70 in 5th the T-5 was 5.9 seconds! But as others have said the breaking and handling are light years ahead. I was really worried over performance and the lack of creature comforts and although I still miss the turbo the sunny days and look of young kids with thumbs up as you drive past makes up for it. You will also get a better deal towards winter (I got mine just in time - April 2nd).

Anonymous

Thanks very much for all the replys, they are incredibly helpful! I am taking onboard all your comments, very interesting to hear the opinions of the ex Saab & Volvo owners. I am in the very same frame of mind i.e. I am worried about the loss of power AND creature comforts BUT at the same time I look foward to driving a car with that "Cockpit" feel. I live in Scotland and so have imagined trips around the North in the 2, I think on a sunny day it would be unbeatable.

I do have rather high expectations for my money though.... I want at least a 2000 model (preferably a 2001), MUST have a hard top (I live in Scotland!!), preferably below 25000 miles, preferably Silver but could go for blue, manual definately.

Is this realistic? I look at the Autotrader every day and there are a few 2000 models going for between £9000 and £10000+.

Oh yeh, when did the "grey" (I forget the official colour name) become available?, I have never seen one apart from the new models.

Thanks.

Anonymous

the grey, or Sable as its called is only available for an 03 model onwards which will be out your price range.

Anonymous

Thanks, oh well can't have everything I suppose, would be more than happy with silver....  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

You know, if you see a perfect one but it doesnt have a hard top, you can always buy one second hand and retro fit it... its easy to do and takes a couple of hours max. You would need the buy the hard top & £200 worth of fittings from Mr T but apart from that, it could be the way to go.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"You know, if you see a perfect one but it doesnt have a hard top, you can always buy one second hand and retro fit it... its easy to do and takes a couple of hours max. You would need the buy the hard top & £200 worth of fittings from Mr T but apart from that, it could be the way to go.

Great, thanks for the suggestion, will keep that in mind..

mrstarface

Whats considered "High Mileage"? I've seen a fair few for sale under 11k with less than 20k miles and some even still in warranty. Is it safer to go for one with a FTSH?

Am I right in thinking Silver or Blue are the preferred colours for holding their value? I know Red has a tendency to discolour more quickly over time (although it looks very nice new!). Given the amount of cash I'd be spending an AA/RAC inspection would also seem to be wise?

Great source of information on this board, already thinking ahead about getting the official MR2 luggage and some other bits and bobs!

Anonymous

well the warranty is 3 years/60 thousand miles. i currently do 15k a year so i would say there is nothing wrong with that kind of figure.

If you get an inspection done, get them to check the precats for signs of them falling apart. Also dont even THINK about buying one without a full service history as any warrany remaining will be void.

Anonymous

mrstarface, interesting that we have nearly exactely the same situation in terms of money and interest in the 2, keep me informed of how you get on with any developments!

Also, another thing, the weakest point of the 2 I suppose (the lack of storage space), how much can you REALLY get in the car? AND are there any other known ways of increasing the space? e.g. luggage racks etc?

Finally, does the storage space at the front contain the spare wheel?

Thanks.

Anonymous

storage is not its stong point, but its not as bad as everyone makes out. you can get a few shopping bags in the rear storage bins, a couple in the front with the spare wheel and some down in the passenger foot well. you can get a bootrack for it, but if i ever see you driving with it on I will be forced (and perfectly within my rights) to rip it off and beat you round the head with it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  (sorry, i just hate them and think they look terrible!)

The fitted luggage is a great option if your thinking of going away - stuff it full of all your stuff and it will slot nicely in the back. (see here:  m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk/photos/bags/index.htm m  )

Anonymous

you can also take out the spare and get a mini compressor and tyre weld - that's all you get in an elise anyway

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"storage is not its stong point, but its not as bad as everyone makes out. you can get a few shopping bags in the rear storage bins, a couple in the front with the spare wheel and some down in the passenger foot well. you can get a bootrack for it, but if i ever see you driving with it on I will be forced (and perfectly within my rights) to rip it off and beat you round the head with it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  (sorry, i just hate them and think they look terrible!)

The fitted luggage is a great option if your thinking of going away - stuff it full of all your stuff and it will slot nicely in the back. (see here:  m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk/photos/bags/index.htm m  )

Fair enough, to be honest I couldn't see my-self fitting this, like the bags though, those would definately be on my list.. cheers

Anonymous

Whatever car you have you fill the space. We always used to fill the boot of the 9-5, and bring threequarters of it back.With the MR2 you become more thoughtful of what you actually need.

Last weekend we did a 500 mile round trip to Ipswich for a wedding with suits, dresses and all the rest of the gear plus a medium sized dog and dog bed and still had nothing in the front storage.

I also agree with Kris about the luggage rack!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Just so you know, the fitted luggage aint available in this country from the dealer network, you need to get it shiped over from somewhere like Germany.

Victor & myself have in the passed arranged GB's in the past for the sets (Victor is better at this as he is over there and speaks the language!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrstarface"I know Red has a tendency to discolour more quickly over time (although it looks very nice new!).
Not if its been polished and looked after regularly   s8) 8) s8)  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

filcee

Regarding storage - what eanlow said.  I use my '2 daily - often miles away from where I actually live.  I can carry enough kit for a week (clothes, etc.) without putting anything in the front bin.  Sure I'd like to take more stuff sometimes, but the truth is I wouldn't have time to make use of it anyway.  You just end up pruning things down to what you actually need, and the car becomes the luxury item  :-) :-) :-)

On the downside, it can be a little embarrassing when you're breakfasting with three other members of your project team, but can only offer one a lift to the office.  Derisory comments normally follow ... but they're first person in the queue next time you offer  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Oh, don't forget to try an SMT.  I wouldn't swap mine now.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "Sundance"
Quote from: "mrstarface"I know Red has a tendency to discolour more quickly over time (although it looks very nice new!).
Not if its been polished and looked after regularly   s8) 8) s8)  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Not true.  "Not if it is kept away from u/v light" is true.  Classic cars on their original red paint don't fade so much because they have lead in the paint - that's illegal now.  My Stag is red.  More recent red cars that I've had have always gone pink eventually.  Keep it in the garage when you are not using it.

mrstarface

Moto - Will keep you informed on my progress. Dont know about you but its torture looking in autotrader and the like and not going straight out and buying one!

The fitted luggage is a definite for me, have seen the helpful guy around the forums who gets them from Germany, hope he's still here when I get mine. The SMT looks like an interest ing option, but probably above my price range. Wonder if if there is space to fit a CD Changer somehere - like to have lots of tunes available when I'm cruising   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

One question I had was about the hardtop, which I consider essential when I get my 2. Is it a quick easy affair to put on and off? What happens to the soft top when it is fitted on - is it tucked away somewhere?

So my"must list" for buying now is:

Silver or Blue in colour
A full Service History (Does it matter if its Toyota or not?)
The newest model I can afford
Mileage less than 15k per year
A Hard Top
Air Conditioning
Passing an AA type inspection!

A tall order maybe but I'm hopeful!

Tags: