First post, couple of questions on buying a 2..

Started by Anonymous, May 11, 2004, 23:34

Darth Paul

Quote from: "mrstarface"Wonder if if there is space to fit a CD Changer somehere - like to have lots of tunes available when I'm cruising   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

One question I had was about the hardtop, which I consider essential when I get my 2. Is it a quick easy affair to put on and off? What happens to the soft top when it is fitted on - is it tucked away somewhere?

Yep, plenty of space for the changer. I had a six disc Sony in my last '2 in the rear bin behind the passenger and the fitted luggage still fitted.

The soft top remains in it's 'down' position whenever the hard top is on. 2 mins to put on/take off, but you will require another set of arms.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

DP

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrstarface"Moto - Will keep you informed on my progress. Dont know about you but its torture looking in autotrader and the like and not going straight out and buying one!

The fitted luggage is a definite for me, have seen the helpful guy around the forums who gets them from Germany, hope he's still here when I get mine. The SMT looks like an interest ing option, but probably above my price range. Wonder if if there is space to fit a CD Changer somehere - like to have lots of tunes available when I'm cruising   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

One question I had was about the hardtop, which I consider essential when I get my 2. Is it a quick easy affair to put on and off? What happens to the soft top when it is fitted on - is it tucked away somewhere?

So my"must list" for buying now is:

Silver or Blue in colour
A full Service History (Does it matter if its Toyota or not?)
The newest model I can afford
Mileage less than 15k per year
A Hard Top
Air Conditioning
Passing an AA type inspection!

A tall order maybe but I'm hopeful!

Practically the same list as mine. I can't buy at the moment because I am in a new job and am waiting to go permenant, when that happens though....

The hard top just goes on top of the soft top does it not? Also, the wee "wind sheild" thingy that sits directly behind the two seats, how does that work? i.e. manual or what?

Thanks..

Anonymous

the wind deflector is manual and im sure 99% of people leave it up all the time, its not exactly huge.

Anonymous

mrstarface, have you driven a 2 yet? If so what d'ya think? I haven't even driven one yet, sat in one and it felt great...

filcee

Regarding autochangers: also consider an MP3 player/iPod if you are worried about luggage space.  I have had success with a CD-based player, someone on here fitted a disk-based mStation, and others are using iPod with FM-senders so you can pick them up on the radio, or use an RCA/line-level input dongle.

HTH,
phil
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Darth Paul

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"the wind deflector is manual and im sure 99% of people leave it up all the time, its not exactly huge.

Yeah, mine's up all the time while the car's in 'soft top mode'. Down when the hard top's on. Also I've got the clear 'BAMA' version (the guy who makes/sells 'em on SpyderChat) which is alot easier to see through at night.

DP

mrstarface

Unfortuntaely not driven one yet, havent even sat in one  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  Have had a good look at several but cant look that closely as people think I'm eyeing them up or something  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I use an MP3 player and CD changer at the moment and also own an IPOD so will probably go for just the MP3 Head Unit and IPOD method to save on space and installation costs.

Anonymous

just go to a dealers and and take a look at some on the forecourt. then take one out for a drive - you dont have to buy it from there   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Just dont take out a revision one with the 6 speed box etc or you will end up wanting one of them instead!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

2 points:

1. I have a 10 disc changer behind my seat and I'm 1.83m tall
2. Ask yourself if you really need a hardtop.  The one for my Stag is never used, it just sits in the shed.  There are so many occaisions in winter when you are away from home and you want to fold the top down.  I would never specify one again for a softtop car.  And I have always owned a softtop since I bought my first car 18 years ago.

mrstarface

So what are the benefits of the Hard Top then? I thougt it would really help in reducing noise and maybe wind chill in the cold weather? And does it save wear and tear on the soft top?

I can see what you mean though, if the differences arent that great maybe its not worth the effort

Darth Paul

Quote from: "mrstarface"So what are the benefits of the Hard Top then? I thougt it would really help in reducing noise and maybe wind chill in the cold weather? And does it save wear and tear on the soft top?

I can see what you mean though, if the differences arent that great maybe its not worth the effort

Stiffens the car up. Also looks better than the soft top up. So during the winter you can drive around smug in the knowledge that your hard top doesn't make the car look like a pram (step forward Z3, MGF...) .

One of the reasons I always get one though is that the hard top has rain gutters over the doors. As it (technically) rains more in winter I like this option as it saves the seats from getting a drenching everytime you open the door!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Of course the way round this in wet weather is to give the soft top edge a quick 'swipe' with your hand before opening the door and so remove the water build-up.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

DP

Anonymous

This is why you get a Hard Top... cos it looks the nuts!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

unless you swop them over:   s:? :? s:?  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

filcee

I have a hard top for security in the winter (dark, business park car parks, dodgy hotels in London).

I think, but haven't proven, that it will make the soft-top last longer because it gets less (probably no) salt on it over the winter whilst under the hard-top.

It also looks nice.  And you get a new car every six months or so  s;-) ;-) s;-)

From the end of October until early December, and again from mid-Feb until late March, I always regret having the hard-top, because there are plenty of fine, cold, crisp days when you could have the top down.  Once I have the hard-top on, I can never be bothered to take it off "just for the day". Plus if I get caught in crap weather, I don't relish the thought of having to find the time to clean & dry the soft-top properly before stowing it under the hard-top again.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

mrstarface

So exactly how much of a job is  it to put the hard top on, I know it takes two people but is it just a question of it clicking into place? Technically and mechanically I freely admint to being very crap so hope its a simple job!

Anonymous

tells you how to do it at the end of this document:

m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk/files/hardtop.pdf m

but in simple terms... its a 30 second job!

Anonymous

what are all the nuts and bolts for? surely they are not needed evry time you put the roof on? If so at 30 secs, you have to be part of Team Maclaren!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Motto"what are all the nuts and bolts for? surely they are not needed evry time you put the roof on? If so at 30 secs, you have to be part of Team Maclaren!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

No! These instructions are how to install a hard top to a non-hard-topped car. Once all the mounting brackets are on they stay on. If you purchase a car with hard top all this will be moot. All you need to look at is the end section concerning the putting on and taking off.

DP

Anonymous

Quote from: "Darth Paul"
Quote from: "Motto"what are all the nuts and bolts for? surely they are not needed evry time you put the roof on? If so at 30 secs, you have to be part of Team Maclaren!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

No! These instructions are how to install a hard top to a non-hard-topped car. Once all the mounting brackets are on they stay on. If you purchase a car with hard top all this will be moot. All you need to look at is the end section concerning the putting on and taking off.

DP

Thank God for that! (must admit didn't read it all, had a sneeky peek at work), that's excellent though, 30 secs is great!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Motto"Hi,

my very first post, have had some technical difficulties with the forum, but SteveJ has very kindly sorted the problems this evening, thanks.

Anyway, I hope its ok to have joined this site as I am actually not an 2 owner (not yet!). I have been looking to buy a "new" car for the last few months and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion (largely due to this site) that the 2 is the car for me.

I have a fairly limited budget 10 - 11k and naturally want to get as much as I can for the money.

I currently own a 96 Saab 900 Turbo, so I guess my first question (and the one that is worrying me slightly) is: will I be dissapointed in the performance of the 2 compared to the Saab?

Also, should I wait till Christmas time for a better deal?

Many thanks...Motto   s:D :D s:D

hi moto

Donna & I have just got our 1st 2, two weeks ago. to give you an idear of what we got for our money follows:

Blue 01/Y, hard top, AC, Leather seats.

We got it from the original lady owner with full dealer service history with its 1st (just had) MOT. The wheels and front disks had recently been replaced under warrantee, it also had new tyres. The car was totaly standard with no mods, but the milage was a little on the high side at 40K (mainly too and from work). It did have alot of stone chips at the front, but I think thats usual (been quoted £250 to put that right).

It was up for sale for £12500, after a bit of negotiation we got it for £11500 which we think was a fair price.

We have taken out the Mr.T two year extended warrantee @ £610 but I think its worth it having read some other owners reports on this forum.

we are totaly pleased with our new 2 and have plans for some moderate handling mods.

Good luck with your search

Dom & Donna

Anonymous

Quote from: "nitroxdiving"
Quote from: "Motto"Hi,

my very first post, have had some technical difficulties with the forum, but SteveJ has very kindly sorted the problems this evening, thanks.

Anyway, I hope its ok to have joined this site as I am actually not an 2 owner (not yet!). I have been looking to buy a "new" car for the last few months and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion (largely due to this site) that the 2 is the car for me.

I have a fairly limited budget 10 - 11k and naturally want to get as much as I can for the money.

I currently own a 96 Saab 900 Turbo, so I guess my first question (and the one that is worrying me slightly) is: will I be dissapointed in the performance of the 2 compared to the Saab?

Also, should I wait till Christmas time for a better deal?

Many thanks...Motto   s:D :D s:D

hi moto

Donna & I have just got our 1st 2, two weeks ago. to give you an idear of what we got for our money follows:

Blue 01/Y, hard top, AC, Leather seats.

We got it from the original lady owner with full dealer service history with its 1st (just had) MOT. The wheels and front disks had recently been replaced under warrantee, it also had new tyres. The car was totaly standard with no mods, but the milage was a little on the high side at 40K (mainly too and from work). It did have alot of stone chips at the front, but I think thats usual (been quoted £250 to put that right).

It was up for sale for £12500, after a bit of negotiation we got it for £11500 which we think was a fair price.

We have taken out the Mr.T two year extended warrantee @ £610 but I think its worth it having read some other owners reports on this forum.

we are totaly pleased with our new 2 and have plans for some moderate handling mods.

Good luck with your search

Dom & Donna

Many thanks for that Dom & Donna! Never thought about the extended warranty, and that price seems pretty reasonable. I think I may have to buy my 2 from England, as they seem very scarce and more expensive up here in Scotland.

Thanks again.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Motto"they seem very scarce and more expensive up here in Scotland.

Hi Motto,

Sadly that's probably true re price.
Good news though is once you get one, very scarce = more exclusive   s8) 8) s8)  

Good luck with the search,

Ally.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "AllyY"
Quote from: "Motto"they seem very scarce and more expensive up here in Scotland.

Hi Motto,

Ally.

Will you need some kind of special papers to 'import' them back into Scotland?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Seriously, what is the price difference?

DP

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jonny Turbo""Not if it is kept away from u/v light" is true.  
Which (let's face it) in this country shouldn't pose too much of a problem given the lack of sunshine all year round(!)   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    My car's 4 years old and its redder than a baboon's ar$e   s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Darth Paul"
Quote from: "AllyY"

Hi Motto,

Ally.

Will you need some kind of special papers to 'import' them back into Scotland?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Seriously, what is the price difference?

DP

When I say down South, I mean England as a whole. I agree though, its not always true, but alot of the time the basic law of supply & demand does kick in, i.e. there are less 2's up here, there for they tend to go for a little more, although I am now beggining to see prices leveling out.

I think the biggest problem though is that there are not many to choose from e.g. if you run a search on mr2's (below 40,000 miles and less than 5 years old) on Autotrader and you return only 16 before you reach as far as Newcastle..

P.S. anyone know what kind of wheels these are, I really like them....

Link Here

thanks..

Anonymous

Quote from: "Darth Paul"Seriously, what is the price difference?
DP

To be honest DP, I think the real issue up here is the relative scarcity.
Did a quick search on autotrader as an exercise.
For a used MR2 in price range 10 - 15k, it found 8 cars in Scotland.
Expand the search to rest of UK and 200+ are returned.
It's obviously easier to source a well spec'd car that meets your budget when you have a much larger pool to choose from.

Ally.

Tags: