225 tyres

Started by trevsmr2, July 17, 2012, 20:49

trevsmr2

Has anyone got 225 tyres on a 7" rim ? ive googled it and theres mixed results ,some say yes its fine, others state no go

even some of the tyre/wheel recommendation sites differ

Anonymous

peteopc

I have 195 on the front and 225 toyo t1r on the rear. Real improvement and cheaper as well.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "peteopc"I have 195 on the front and 225 toyo t1r on the rear. Real improvement and cheaper as well.

On what wheels?
The standard rears 16 inch wheels are 7.5 inch wide which makes q difference

sent from a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"
Quote from: "peteopc"I have 195 on the front and 225 toyo t1r on the rear. Real improvement and cheaper as well.

On what wheels?
The standard rears 16 inch wheels are 7.5 inch wide which makes q difference

sent from a planet somewhere nearby

As per the link I posted above I thought they were 7"?

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "dick2ski"

i guess that clears that up.

to the op i have 7J wheels with 225 on. they fit but its the widest you can go.

trevsmr2

Quote from: "rbuckingham"to the op i have 7J wheels with 225 on. they fit but its the widest you can go.

Thanks ,the wheels i have are not standard ,but are the same size as the standard wheel ,
they currently have 205 tyres fitted ,my standards have 215 fitted ,and i wanted to go slightly wider with the 225 ,
just for looks sake to fill out the arches more

Nath

[imghttp://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg638/Naths-project/Bracing%20Mods/IMG_1372.jpg][/img]

I am running 225's on the back on 17" x 7j wheels

Nath

right this time

nathanMR2

Right I now think I've searched until my eyes bled. Having major tyre searching issues. Can someone tell me if 225/45/17 tyres will fit ok. They are to go on a 17x7.5 et45 4x100 wheel so it's within the tolerance but will it rub the arches and look ok?

Also a has anyone got pictures of a 225/45/17 tyre on the rear of a 2??
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

Standard height no but will give the wheel in arch look. My guess with your suspension is that it might touch the arch due to the drop on your car. This is all down to the 1" increase in the tyre radius.

nathanMR2

Ill have some tein ss coilovers on by the time the wheels to on so I should be able to adjust the height

loadswine

I had 245/35/17 on an 8 inch rim on my red one and that was fine as far as rubbing was concerned Nath. Don't forget that altering the ride height with the Tein SS will alter the spring rate though.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Nath

My wheels with 245-35 R17 and standard suspension. I know its not a 45 but should give you some idea.

Anonymous

As long as you adjust the height you will be fine. But as nige says adjusting the teins up will make it solid. Mine are up max just untill I choose my ride height but at current setting solid bar would give more.

nathanMR2

So ive been doing some very interesting reading lately over on Toyo's website. Ive been pretty much pulling my hair out over wheels and tyres. Every time I make a call on what I want to do with the wheel set up, I get screwed over by the tyre sections letting me down.

Right so here's the story. Ive been running 16" x 7 and 15" x 6.5 wheels now for some time and when I purchased my tyres I went for a 215/40/16 and a 195/50/15 which I was very happy with. I then had to replace my rear tyre and went for a slightly wider tyre of 225/45/16. I later found out that this tyre was not within the 7" width tolerances but its on the wheel and has not caused me any problems yet.

Ive recently purchased a new set of 16" x 7 wheels and ive been in quite a mental quandary on the whole 'I shouldn't be running the same width wheels at front and back' issue and that 'staggered tyres only are a compromise'. I thought it would be also nice to fill the arches a little more.

It was my intension to purchase a set of 17" x 7.5 wheels and split my 16" x 7 wheels. So I have a set of 17" x 7.5 rear and 16" x 7 front but ive had real issues with finding tyres to suit.

Bear in mind ive given my car a fair bit of abuse on airfield days, Wales trips around the Evo Triangle and run the Ring on these tyres and like I said ive been happy with how the car has been.

After extensive research on Toyo I got some interesting findings which I was unaware of. Im assuming the tyre diameter is from the top to the bottom across the tyre

My first Toyo set up

Tyre Diameter (mm)      Width (mm)
195/50/15                                                    576                       198         Front
215/40/16                                                                   578                      222         Back

Then changed the rear for

225/40/16                                                                   586                        234                                          Back

As you can see the tyre diameter on my first set up was pretty much the same front and rear and probably why a lot of people couldn't see that I was running different size wheels front and back.

So with the wheels I recently purchased I looked at tyres would fit

195/45/16                                                                   583         195         Front
225/45/16                                                                   608         227         Back

So the diameter is perhaps going to be a little more noticeable but the actual width of the tyre on the contact area compared to front and back is not going to be much different and certainly more than what I was running to begin with.

So then I think about my thought of a 17 and 16 set up. Now if I was to change from Toyo's I could find 'better size' tyres perhaps. However the cost of these tyres increase dramatically and they don't offer the sort of makes of tyre I would go for and often don't do the front sizes to match up correctly to fit on the 17 and 16 wheels.

195/45/16                                                                    583                                           195         Front
215/40/17                                                                    604                                          222         Back
225/45/17                                                                    633                                           222         Back

You will note interestingly that the tyres which fit a 17" x 7.5 wheel (half an inch wider!) have less of a width than the 16's for the back. Both the 215/40 and the 225/45 have the same width (which is still less diameter than the 16's) and the diameter of the 215/40/17 isnt going to fill the arches any more than the 225/45/16.

So moral of the story. If you want wider tyres at the back make sure you pick your wheels wisely as you could end up not being able to get the right tyres and they my not be much wider on the rear. Also look at your tyre options as you might find that the contact area might not be what you think.

Unless ive got this completely wrong?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Nathan have a look at the hancook v12. I'm going to be running 205/50r17 front on a 7j rim and 225/45r17 rear on a 7j rim. The front is fine on recomendations and the rear just in but suitable for use.

nathanMR2

So it would appear I have got it slightly wrong going off this information...

Section Width
A tire's section width (also called "cross section width") is the measurement of the tire's width from its inner sidewall to its outer sidewall (excluding any protective ribs, decorations or raised letters) at the widest point. This measurement is made without any load placed upon the tire and after the tire has been properly mounted on its industry assigned measuring rim and has been inflated and reset to its test pressure after 24 hours.
Because a tire's section width is influenced by the width of the rim upon which the tire is mounted, the correct industry assigned measuring rim width for the tire size being measured must be used.
The width of a tire mounted on a narrow rim would be "narrower" than if the same tire was mounted on a wide rim. NOTE: because the overall diameter of a steel belted radial is determined by the steel belts, there is little, if any, change to the overall diameter of the tire due to differences in rim width.
The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10".
For example: a tire in the P205/60R15 size is measured on a 6.0" wide wheel and this size tire has an approved rim width range from 5.5" to 7.5" wide. The tire has a section width of 8.23" (209mm) when mounted on a 6.0" wide wheel. If that tire were mounted on all of the rims within its approved range, the tire's approximate section width would change as follows:

Difference from Measuring Rim Rim Width Approximate Tire Section Width
0.5" narrower 5.5" 8.03"
Measuring Rim 6.0" 8.23"
0.5" wider 6.5" 8.43"
1.0" wider 7.0" 8.63"
1.5" wider 7.5"  8.93"

Because of the different wheel widths used in the above example, there is a 9/10" projected difference in tire section width when comparing a tire mounted on the narrowest rim to the widest rim within its range. This may affect fenderwell and frame clearances when selecting optional aftermarket wheel and tire packages.

Back to the drawing board me thinks   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

nathanMR2

Just contacted Toyo directly and they suggest that the overall width listed on their website for each of their T1R tyres will change by approximately 5mm for every 1/2" change in wheel width.

This would mean that should i go to a 17x7.5 wheel i would only be likely to be able to achieve less than a 5mm tyre width increase over the widest tyre i could fit (approved sizes) on a 16x7 wheel so not a great deal of difference

Tags: