Aircon Expiry

Started by 2 of the left, July 27, 2012, 20:57

2 of the left

Question - I use my Aircon frugally but in generic terms How long does the bottle usually last  s:?: :?: s:?:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "2 of the left"Question - I use my Aircon frugally but in generic terms How long does the bottle usually last  s:?: :?: s:?:

The aircon is a sealed system and can often last the life of the car if used regularly. If not used, the seals dry out and refrigerant is lost.

AckersMR2

Seem to remember in most car manuals they recommend running the air con at least once a month?
My only car is a Ducati 

Wabbitkilla

I noticed while in Halfrauds today that they had cans of Aircon refrigerant for diy refills... I never thought I'd see anything like that.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I noticed while in Halfrauds today that they had cans of Aircon refrigerant for diy refills... I never thought I'd see anything like that.

If the system is inop. there are generally two reasons. The compressor has failed (bullet proof on the 2, Ive never sold a single one) or the system has developed a leak and will leak again.

loadswine

Just topped mine up with the Halfords stuff. I will test it properly once I get the car mobile again.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

JiMR2

is it possible to get it mothballed/de-commd as i do not use mine and do not intend to use mine...
AKA Cinnamon Jim

Anonymous

Quote from: "JiMR2"is it possible to get it mothballed/de-commd as i do not use mine and do not intend to use mine...

Great in winter for demisting.

wbarrwebster

Hi,

My understanding is that that system efficiency drops  about 5-10% in a year and that you need to  regas it every couple of years.
You should switch it on at least once every month, winter or summer to ensure the seals don't dry out!

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Quote from: "wbarrwebster"Hi,

My understanding is that that system efficiency drops  about 5-10% in a year and that you need to  regas it every couple of years.

B

Thats the spiel the motor manufacturers produce, so you cop for the refill costs. There is no reason chemically or mechanically for a well made system to perform so poorly.

PS No contradiction intended.

carolineasb

Is there not danger from bacteria growth too??  Is that not why manufacturers want you to use regularly to make sure there is no growth?  Might be wrong?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Anonymous

Quote from: "carolineasb"Is there not danger from bacteria growth too??  Is that not why manufacturers want you to use regularly to make sure there is no growth?  Might be wrong?

The bacteria problem is in the ductwork outside the sealed system. If yours is a bit smelly, an aerosol spry treatment can be used to kill it off.

2 of the left

Cheers for info guys - mine is still okay then - Only complaint is from 'er indoors who reckons Aircon dries her contact lenses!!  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "2 of the left"Cheers for info guys - mine is still okay then - Only complaint is from 'er indoors who reckons Aircon dries her contact lenses!!  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Absolutely true. Automotive aircon is generally not proper air conditioning, but air cooling. When air is cooled its ability to carry water is decreased, therefore it sheds the water in the form of droplets or ice. As the air enters the car it immediately warms and its capacity to carry water increases, it craves moisture, hence the dry eyes! (and demisting function).

Real aircon as in most buildings adds vapour back (conditioning) before releasing it into the airspace.

Anonymous

Have to say  I'm glad I had  mine checked & re-gassed before our little trip, it's been constantly in the 30's since we  left   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

Tags: