This (mk1) caught my eye.....

Started by AC, August 5, 2012, 09:57

AC

Looks factory and imported, a supercharged mk1 auto, anybody know anything about it?
(Apologies for dragging up mk1 on the ROC forum, just a general Q for you nice Roadster people who know and love our heritage)

http://www.thornhamcarsales.co.uk/used-cars/toyota-mr2-t-bar-sports-2dr-oldham-201225476017524

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

s12vea

Clean car, shame it's auto
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

andyroo104

Most of the genuine superchargers were built with auto boxes,very rare to find a genuine manual gearbox model.
Andy.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

s12vea

Would of thought most would of been manual.. Still a nice example of a mk1
TF204 Blue

andyroo104

Quote from: "s12vea"Would of thought most would of been manual.. Still a nice example of a mk1
Yes,strange I know but it's true.
Andy.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

AC

From what I can find it's output was raised a whole 17hp   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:   to 145hp (from 128 for the UK na mk1) and torque of 190nm. According Wikipedia the belt driven roots type SC isn't permanently driven to save fuel, so on-demand using an electromagnetic clutch...

Has anyone driven a mk1 auto? Is the box rubbish?

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

s12vea

Haven't driven a mk1 auto but the have a mk2. That was terrible  s:( :( s:(
TF204 Blue

Dac

Quote from: "AC"From what I can find it's output was raised a whole 17hp   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:   to 145hp (from 128 for the UK na mk1) and torque of 190nm. According Wikipedia the belt driven roots type SC isn't permanently driven to save fuel, so on-demand using an electromagnetic clutch...

Has anyone driven a mk1 auto? Is the box rubbish?

This post just killed that car for me lol

frogger

Both the Mk1's and Mk1 SC seem to have doubled in value over the past couple of years.
Glad I held onto my mk1a, purchased for £500 a few years ago - would hate to have to purchase one at current prices!

Twobrutal.co.uk and imoc.co.uk will have all the info and UK opinions you need on the Mk1 + SC.

Wabbitkilla

Very pretty car, love the looks.
MK1's can be very "skippy" handling, just be careful.
I love the idea of an SC, a friend had one and it was a brilliant little car.
Why on earth would you fit a supercharge and THEN make it an Auto????

Talk about incredible mistakes!!!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

AckersMR2

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Very pretty car, love the looks.
MK1's can be very "skippy" handling, just be careful.
I love the idea of an SC, a friend had one and it was a brilliant little car.
Why on earth would you fit a supercharge and THEN make it an Auto????

Talk about incredible mistakes!!!
has it anything to do with the long term reliability of the clutch? I remember once seeing on top gear or 5th gear retro fitting a NOS kit to a golf and the preferred route was an auto for that very reason?
My only car is a Ducati 

Wabbitkilla

No, for the kind of power you're talking about here, any decent clutch could cope and the SC's I've come across have all been manual.
Of course if it was sold in Autralia then for some reason Auto's are big over there and you could actually only buy the Roadster as SMT over there ... officially   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

AC

Like the idea of it from a history/collectors item POV and it looks A1, won't be buying it though.  

Some of my intrigue comes from childhood, when I was 10 my brother bought a 6 month old mk1 red T-Bar which for the first part of its life was owned by Phil Sayers off North West Tonight (Granada regional news), it's reg was E777 ARJ (was ordered at the G-Mex car show of '88 hence the triple 7 plate)', anyway enough of that.

On a different note, how about this mk3? I didn't realise Toyota made them up until 2007 (in Japan). This MR-S V edition would be fairly rare on our shores.
http://jmimports.mine.nu/?hash=TkA1ZM5tg1CU4v

Appear to be quite a lot of mk3's going through the block in Japan, I wonder where they all go to on export?

s12vea

The link is asking for user name and password.
TF204 Blue

AC

Username: JMIMPORTS
Password: JAPAN

Made contact with JM and they tell me the late JDM models are currently going for £2-3k more than equivalent UK models  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  . Might be worth us exporting a few of our unsold 2's!

s12vea

I'm surprised they reach that sort of money. Didn't know they did 2007 roadster but on that link above there was a yellow 2008!!

The v edition looks smart! Why not be one of the first in the UK  s;) ;) s;)
TF204 Blue

s12vea

TF204 Blue

s12vea

TF204 Blue

AC

I'll take the second one please   s:D :D s:D  

Shame it would probably cost circa £10k to do so   s:( :( s:(

AckersMR2

Quote from: "s12vea"Or something different

m http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars/TO ... index.html m
Urghhh, looks like the kit came out of a serial box  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Isn't the other one just a JDM version of the sable red that was available here? Not sure I'd pay £15,400 for that! There was a silver 06 one on eBay with 700m on it for half that.
My only car is a Ducati 

Tags: