Whats the best performance mods?

Started by ChrisHumes, May 16, 2004, 17:21

ChrisHumes

Having just started modifying my standard mr2, whats the best performance mods to start with. Ive already fitted an Apexi induction kit which seems to do more for the sound than anything else - so whats next?!

New exhaust - H&S, is that the best one?

Unichip?

Anonymous

What are your intentions for the mods? Looks or performance?

For performance, I would certainly go for driver training first. I haven't got round to it yet, but I know the car is capable of so much more than I push it to and from speaking to people that have done some, you'd be surprised at how much you learn about your car and driving spirited and safely.

For looks, haven't a clue!

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"exhaust - H&S, is that the best one?

The Team Moon FlowMaster seems to be the most popular and the only(?) one which has documented dyno improvements ... 3-4 whp (showroom stock).

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"Ive already fitted an Apexi induction kit which seems to do more for the sound than anything else ... ?!  

For a measureable improvement with cold air, rather than hot engine bay air (resulting from many aftermarket intake alternatives) ... see:

http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10511&highlight=misnomer

Aside from being cheaper, too, this makes two needed improvements.
1.  by-pass the 3" to 2" venturi tube, leading into the air filter box
2.  provides cold air intake from the driver's side inlet vent.

Tem

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"so whats next?!

How much?

(how much power do you want in the end and how much £'s are you willing to spend)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

juansolo

If you want to go faster upgrade the driver first.  Then the rubber, these two will make the biggest difference bang-per-buck.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

THEMOSS

I agree with Juan, the driver is what makes a car. People place too much emphasis on 'mods'. Think about doing an Institute of Advanced Motorists course. Seriously, it changes the way you drive forever (not what you'd think, ie loads of old men in flat caps!) and it lowers your insurance coz you're much safer. Track days help you know the car and test limits, but not everything you do on the track can be safely used on public roads.
Lotus Elise Sport 160

heathstimpson

For very small cost the Corky anti-flex plate makes a huge difference  s:D :D s:D
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

ChrisHumes

where can I get these mods?

Team Moon FlowMaster?Corky anti-flex plate?
Cheers

markiii

The team moon exhaust is very good. It is however made by a small exhaust shoip in teh US, so you would need to factor shipping costs, import duty, vat e.t.c into your costs.

Also decide if you will be changing your header/cat as it can sound rather loud if youdo.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Quote from: "MikeCoughlin"The Team Moon FlowMaster seems to be the most popular and the only(?) one which has documented dyno improvements ... 3-4 whp (showroom stock).

Not the ONLY one...

Heres the thread with teh H&S dyno...
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91 m
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "THEMOSS"I agree with Juan, the driver is what makes a car. People place too much emphasis on 'mods'. Think about doing an Institute of Advanced Motorists course. Seriously, it changes the way you drive forever (not what you'd think, ie loads of old men in flat caps!) and it lowers your insurance coz you're much safer. Track days help you know the car and test limits, but not everything you do on the track can be safely used on public roads.

I did IAM years ago, and to my knowledge it has never made the slightest difference to my insurance premium.

Anonymous

Quote from: "THEMOSS"I agree with Juan, the driver is what makes a car. People place too much emphasis on 'mods'. Think about doing an Institute of Advanced Motorists course. Seriously, it changes the way you drive forever (not what you'd think, ie loads of old men in flat caps!) and it lowers your insurance coz you're much safer.

I did the IAM stuff a few years back, and it has changed the way I drive, I've never saved any money on insurance, but that's more because I didn't pick insurance companys that rewarded me for it.  Some do, some don't.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "phil4"
Quote from: "THEMOSS"I agree with Juan, the driver is what makes a car. People place too much emphasis on 'mods'. Think about doing an Institute of Advanced Motorists course. Seriously, it changes the way you drive forever (not what you'd think, ie loads of old men in flat caps!) and it lowers your insurance coz you're much safer.

I did the IAM stuff a few years back, and it has changed the way I drive, I've never saved any money on insurance, but that's more because I didn't pick insurance companys that rewarded me for it.  Some do, some don't.
Do you think it was well worth while doing it then Phil  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Do you think it was well worth while doing it then Phil  s:?: :?: s:?:

Dont bother, do North Weald instead!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"Do you think it was well worth while doing it then Phil  s:?: :?: s:?:

Dont bother, do North Weald instead!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Lol... yes, I reckon it was worth it.

Anonymous

Strangley enough, I'd still recommend doing it.

Teaches you road positioning, sign and condition awareness etc...

LeeUK

I did IAM too.  As everyone else says it teaches you too be a better driver, it also teaches you that the racing line isn't the quickest line   s:? :? s:?  .  When doing the test though, don't break the speed limit!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

I'd be interested in a North Weald outing although I know nothing about who to contact etc.  Anyone know much about it? Anyone interested?  I feel another topic under "Events" coming on!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Plus a real summer trackday would be ace! Need a helmet!   s:( :( s:(
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Tags: