Day time running lights

Started by roguk, August 14, 2012, 13:46

roguk

Hi just wondered if anyone has fitted any day time running lights, getting fed up with peeps pulling out in front of me not noticing car or speed i am doing, have tried using dipped head lights but get flashed peeps think ive forgotten  to turn them off, rules re daytime running lights max 400mm from side of car min height from ground 250mm max height from ground 1500mm. -alfords sell a set complete with brackets wiring etc, thought fix under black plastic, top of grill outside edge.
 Only seen one comment here quote (I think white's becoming too common now, loads of audis etc in white, can look good but also can look really tacky (some audis with day time running lights in particular).

Anonymous

I would split the headlight units and retro fit into the enclosures if was me.

roguk

Hi thought of that as well, but worried about baking lights and drilling hole for cables.

Wabbitkilla

Vinp82 has some fitted to the bottom of the front bumper.
TBH they're a bit exposed and prone to damage.

I think it won't make a jot of difference to people pulling out in front of you, many drivers are just ignorant, inconsiderate gits these days!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Yes there are horror stories regarding condensation getting into the units after splitting them but if you know what your doing it really can be a simple job. I guess to many people think the original glue is enough to bond the units back together again, which i suppose is correct, but you wont get a water tight seal! i use additional sealant and use generously to make sure of it. Never had any issues myself.
RE; cable, i would drill  hole close to the LED mounting point you choose, thread the wire through it, tape into place, then finally use sealant agin to plug the hole from the outside so it cant be seen. The led units will hide the hole also if mounted over them. If done properly and take your time to check no gaps exists, then should be job'sa'gooden  s:) :) s:)

Oh and i dont use an oven, i prefer the heat gun method as you only apply heat to the areas you want! I know heat can make plastics brittle etc.

AckersMR2

I saw that a few years ago someone fitted angel eyes to a set of face lift units over on spyderchat thats a different look?

Obviously not with the HID's otherwise you'll get   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

http://www.norcalmr2.com/mrs-angeleyes/
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

I feel the problem with retro-fitting LED day running lights to the MR2 is that even if located into the main headlight unit, their will still look a bit Heath Robinson!

Current production cars such as Audi's IMO add something more than just a few LED bulbs to the front, by adding character   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Be great to find a way to create something less tacked on than kits from Halfords.   s:) :) s:)

roguk

Thanks for replys, carbon rx   good idea never thought of heat gun, WabbitKilla said it (I think it won't make a jot of difference to people pulling out in front of you, many drivers are just ignorant, inconsiderate gits these days!). Interesting link AckersMR2.

Anonymous

trevsmr2

My car had horrible led strips glued on

roguk

Thanks life of bryan that link is ace just what i needed.
 trevsmr2 said (My car had horrible led strips glued on), but were they effective during daylight?

trevsmr2

Quote from: "roguk"Thanks life of bryan that link is ace just what i needed.
 trevsmr2 said (My car had horrible led strips glued on), but were they effective during daylight?

Dont know they came off the day after i bought it

Peter Wright

Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Pavett1990

Paul (puma2) had the proper daytime running lamps and it was unreal how upto date the car looked.. I think he paid £50 for them and they were like the Audi ones that dipped when headlights came on
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

K T M Rider

Quote from: "roguk"getting fed up with peeps pulling out in front of me not noticing car or speed i am doing, have tried using dipped head lights but get flashed peeps think ive forgotten  to turn them off,

have done 16,000 miles in my two roadsters almost all of them with the headlights on (after well over 100,000 miles on bikes with the headlight on, it made sense to me as the MR2 is a small car, low to the ground, easily missed by dozy pratts in lofty 4x4s).

People seem to see me coming and the only times I remember getting flashed was when I turned the headlights OFF and tried using the front fogs instead ('cos one of the headlight bulbs had blown).

Some new cars (e.g.golf Mk6s) appear to have dipped beam on permanently as DRLs (not to mention Volvos since at least the 70's) so if people flash you, just flash 'em back or ignore 'em I say - many aftermarket LED DRLs look tacky as hell
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

roguk

Hi Thanks for another great link Peter, i am still using dipped headlights KIM_RIDER, -alfords say 1 of the benefits of there daytime running lights is(Reduced fuel costs and CO2 emissions compared with using dipped beam).

Anonymous

Found this this morning regarding retro fitting headlights, i quite like them!

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/album.php? ... entid=3893 m

Oh and he has also put on the daylights...

K T M Rider

Quote from: "roguk"i am still using dipped headlights KIM_RIDER, -alfords say 1 of the benefits of there daytime running lights is(Reduced fuel costs and CO2 emissions compared with using dipped beam).

A fair comment I'm sure (plus my current car is bright red anyway, so alot more visible than e.g. Silver   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

BTW it's K T M_rider, it's a make of motorcycle. Never ridden a KIM, though if she's up for it I might be interested   s8) 8) s8)

roguk

Hi  oops sorry KTM_RIDER, carbon RX thanks for link cant view it at mo as not registered.

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "Peter Wright"http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34115&p=410268#p410268

Im liking the drl's on this Pete!! Were they hard to wire up?? iv had my front bumper ooff literally about 10 times this year already! upside is i can take it off and on in about 10 mins, but its irritating me now!!
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

2 of the left

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"
Quote from: "roguk"getting fed up with peeps pulling out in front of me not noticing car or speed i am doing, have tried using dipped head lights but get flashed peeps think ive forgotten  to turn them off,

have done 16,000 miles in my two roadsters almost all of them with the headlights on (after well over 100,000 miles on bikes with the headlight on, it made sense to me as the MR2 is a small car, low to the ground, easily missed by dozy pratts in lofty 4x4s).

People seem to see me coming and the only times I remember getting flashed was when I turned the headlights OFF and tried using the front fogs instead ('cos one of the headlight bulbs had blown).

Some new cars (e.g.golf Mk6s) appear to have dipped beam on permanently as DRLs (not to mention Volvos since at least the 70's) so if people flash you, just flash 'em back or ignore 'em I say - many aftermarket LED DRLs look tacky as hell
It has been my understanding that should you have lights on in daylight you are likely to get pulled by the Police - Having said that when driving into low Sun I put the side lights on so that the "bats" behind me can judge distance to the rear of my 2!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

K T M Rider

Quote from: "2 of the left"It has been my understanding that should you have lights on in daylight you are likely to get pulled by the Police

certainly hasn't been my experience, but if true then I wonder if they've always made an exception for Volvos   s:? :? s:?  ?

AckersMR2

Or motorbikes for the last 10yrs or so  s:? :? s:?
My only car is a Ducati 

2 of the left

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"
Quote from: "2 of the left"It has been my understanding that should you have lights on in daylight you are likely to get pulled by the Police

certainly hasn't been my experience, but if true then I wonder if they've always made an exception for Volvos   s:? :? s:?  ?
Exceptions have always been Volvos (Factory fitted to illuminate when Engine running - Swedish legislation) M/bikes it is advised to burn lights
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

K T M Rider

this makes quite interesting reading (especially if you know anyone with a Mk6 Golf):

m http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... lled-again m

Tags: