Day time running lights

Started by roguk, August 14, 2012, 13:46

ChrisGB

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"this makes quite interesting reading (especially if you know anyone with a Mk6 Golf):

m http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... lled-again m

Something to consider there. Even more likely to drop you in the  sshit shit sshit  is the new fad for single front fog lights that come on when you steer left or right. They are surely asking to be mis interpreted? There is definitely such a thing as too much technology on vehicles these days and the non standardisation of lighting conventions only serves to increase the potential for accidents.

Interesting in that thread how so many people believe flashing their lights for the wrong reason is a good idea.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

2 of the left

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Highway Code states that you should not burn lights during daylight hours and to flash headlights is to give a warning to other drivers that you are in your position? (Of course Volvos and M/bikes are a different matter as previously stated!!)
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Peter Wright

QuoteI'm liking the drl's on this Pete!! Were they hard to wire up?? iv had my front bumper ooff literally about 10 times this year already! upside is i can take it off and on in about 10 mins, but its irritating me now!
Easy to wire up just follow instructions no need to take bumper off
 m http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Led_ ... Kit_LEDDRL m
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "2 of the left"Correct me if I'm wrong but the Highway Code states that you should not burn lights during daylight hours and to flash headlights is to give a warning to other drivers that you are in your position? (Of course Volvos and M/bikes are a different matter as previously stated!!)

QuoteThe Highway Code
Lighting requirements (113-116)

You MUST
ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)
Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).
[Laws RVLR regs 3, 24, & 25, (In Scotland - RTRA 1984 sect 82 (as amended by NRSWA, para 59 of sched  s8) 8) s8) )]
Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)
You MUST NOT
use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226)
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
[Law RVLR reg 27]
You should also
use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming road users
slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights
Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
[Law RVLR reg 27]

Does this shed any light on things.

Anonymous

I like to drive around with dip beem, full beam and fogs running... no fukkaah pulls out in front of me then!

Ive not been in an accident but ive seen many around me!

Im looking to fit a bull bar on my two and also add some 2000w Spot lamps just incase...

on a serious note, I do feel for you... but im not sure if lights are the answer  s:( :( s:(  your never going to stop people from pulling out in front of you. best option is to drive a bus... no one pulls out in front of a bus!

AckersMR2

Quote from: "dj vinxy"no one pulls out in front of a bus!

Very true but funnily enough a lot of people walk out in front of them  s:? :? s:?  Saw it happen on Tuesday.
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"this makes quite interesting reading (especially if you know anyone with a Mk6 Golf):

m http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... lled-again m

Something to consider there. Even more likely to drop you in the **** is the new fad for single front fog lights that come on when you steer left or right. They are surely asking to be mis interpreted? There is definitely such a thing as too much technology on vehicles these days and the non standardisation of lighting conventions only serves to increase the potential for accidents.

Interesting in that thread how so many people believe flashing their lights for the wrong reason is a good idea.

Chris

i dont believe flashing lights too often. Technology is making lights better you can take example of LED technology lights. They are more advanced and bright.

roguk

Hi  well decided to go ahead and fit drls, went to -alfords and got Ring 8 x LED Daytime Running Lights, pack included relay/wiring/brackets/screws etc, and using wbarrwebster guide to were cables connect to it was easy to do, decided to fit in grille under black plastic at top. Pleased with result does not look tacky, drls are very bright, photos do not do them justice.

Anonymous

Im impressed,

they look really good to me!

well done on the fitting!

MisterK

That looks good - I might be tempted to do this myself.  Where did you fit the live cable to?  From what I've read you need to feed this through to the battery in the Ring Instructions.  Do you have a link to the wbarrwesbster guide?
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

roguk

Hi   link to wbarrwesbster guide   l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32604&p=398866&hilit= l   live wire goes ( to the top middle wire (blue with white flecks ) on the Wiper motor).

Anonymous

Its a fair point regarding the pulling out, the last person that pulled out infront of me just never looked in my direction, lights or no lights still would have been the same outcome. Its our jobs as drivers to observe other road users so that we can be aware of the actions of others. I trust no one on the roads, young old or like me  s:) :) s:)

Kudos on this install mate looks clean. Looking at your pictures makes me wonder what they would look like in the corner most vents. Photoshoppery?   s:) :) s:)

roguk

Hi   these links show the drls fitted in the corner vents ( l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34115&p=410268#p410268 l ) and ( l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32604&p=398866&hilit= l ).

K T M Rider

looks really good, almost like they are meant to be there, definitely not tacky at all - unlike the rope light look on some Audis.

A very worthwhile mod on a silver 2 IMO
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

ray835

like the look of them, me thinks a trip to halfords  s:D :D s:D
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

trickyD

Quote from: "Starfish"
Quote from: "2 of the left"Correct me if I'm wrong but the Highway Code states that you should not burn lights during daylight hours and to flash headlights is to give a warning to other drivers that you are in your position? (Of course Volvos and M/bikes are a different matter as previously stated!!)

QuoteThe Highway Code
Lighting requirements (113-116)

You MUST
ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)
Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).
[Laws RVLR regs 3, 24, & 25, (In Scotland - RTRA 1984 sect 82 (as amended by NRSWA, para 59 of sched  s8) 8) s8) )]
You MUST NOT
use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226)
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
[Law RVLR reg 27]
You should also
use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming road users
slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights
Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
[Law RVLR reg 27]

Does this shed any light on things.

Surely the code must have changed since DRLs became law?
A lot of manufacturers just use the main lights (golf 6) to pass this law.

Personally I think the above "code" is  sbollocks bollocks sbollocks !
Entirely unenforceable and counter productive. Sounds like it was written during the war!
IMHO!!     s:D :D s:D
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

kinell2002

anyone tried replacing parking lights with LEDs

roguk

Hi changed my side lights for LED, difficult to get at unless you have small hands, i had to remove bumper etc to do it.

Tags: