17" wheels tyre set up - owners and tyre heads advice please

Started by Dogsy, August 28, 2012, 16:24

Dogsy

Hi All

I know there's loads of info on here re tyres, I have a question specific to 17" wheels.

I need to sort mine out and wonder if 205 front and 215 back is enough stagger for 17" wheels. Richard (rbuckingham) recommended I go 225 on the rear but these are circa £150 each where I've looked and was hoping to buy Toyos. 17" owners and general tyre gurus what's your thoughts?
2004 Black Beast of Bodmin Moor - Work in progress

2001 Silver Dream Machine - For Sale

Anonymous

Less stagger the more chances to find a ditch. Go to camskill the kumho ku31 are in that size and even tho not a toyo, still a very good tyre.

Wabbitkilla

I'm running 16" up front and 17" at the rear. Rear tyres are 215/40r17 and 195/40r16 fronts. This is on 7" wide rims, which is the max and min widths supported by those rims allegedly.

Tyres are limited in this range and I'm running Marangoni Zeta Linea, which are really good and don't cost the earth. Marangoni are made by Pirelli so not a bad source.

When you decide to go for bigger wheels you have to accept tyre prices are going to change radically, expecting cheap and good rubber is just foolish.

sent from a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Dogsy

Hi guys

Thanks for feedback. Accept point on bigger wheels more cost for tyres but didn't realise I'd need to spend £300+ on backs alone. I know it's just another £100 but my budgets quite tight. That said don't fancy a ditch either!

If 205/215 isn't enough stagger could I go for a 195/215 combo on 17" or will I have to bite the bullet?   s:) :) s:)

carlclarke

I think you should never accept compromises on tyres and brakes, the risk is too great. I understand that these are difficult times money-wise but better to wait than to take a chance. Just an idea - if you look around you may be able to pick up a set of OEM wheels with good tyres for £200 to keep you going. The summer is fading and good wet weather tyres will be needed soon.

roger

Another point to consider is wheel width.

Most 17" come all the same width if you buy a set of 4, so to get a good stagger you have to be "on the limit" for the rear tyres. If your rears are 1/2" wider (like the standard set-up) then the options get better/easier.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Dogsy

Hi Roger and Carl

Thanks for your replies. Would you say 195 front and 215 back is acceptable on 17" or would that be considered a compromise. Ive read this stager is good for 15" 16" wheels. Is there a problem with putting 195s on 17" wheels?

I've read 225s are pushing it for the back which I think you mention Roger.

Thanks for your advice, I understand the importance of getting the right tyres for my 2 but am unsure of the permations.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Dogsy"Hi Roger and Carl

Thanks for your replies. Would you say 195 front and 215 back is acceptable on 17" or would that be considered a compromise. Ive read this stager is good for 15" 16" wheels. Is there a problem with putting 195s on 17" wheels?

I've read 225s are pushing it for the back which I think you mention Roger.

Thanks for your advice, I understand the importance of getting the right tyres for my 2 but am unsure of the permations.

You really need to identify the width of the wheels to get an answer to that, are they 7J, 7.5J, 8J or what?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Dogsy

Thanks Wabbit, never worked with alloys tyres before so wasnt aware that there is a width protocol in place. She's in the garage today so will post size tomorrow when I get her back. That said now I know there is a measuring system I'm sure I can google for more info to get the answer  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Dogsy

Found this  m http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual ... calculator m  It's got a handy Tyre Width Table midway down the page. Once I get my width I will have my answer.   s:D :D s:D

Wabbitkilla

As a guide my OZ wheels are 7J, which is 7".
This means the recommended tyre widths are 195 - 215.
I wouldn't go below 195 on them looking at the stretch oif the 195's I have fitted, but I would say you could possible got to 225 with the right tyres and profile.

Ideally I would like to rung 195/40R16 and 225/35r17 but it's nigh on impossible to find any tyres good or bad that are available in those sizes and matched.
Annoyingly Marangoni used to make my tyres in that rear size but stopped, some companies have old stock in Europe but refuse to ship them outside of mainland Europe.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Dogsy

Thanks for all the advice Wabbit.

roger

A good site to look at is Toyo Tyres. They show what size tyres best fit rim widths. I'm sure other sites do as well.

As Nic (Wabbit) says, rim width is important. I run 7.5J and 8J, and appropriate tyres are very different from say 7J all round.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Dogsy

Thanks Roger

Dogsy

UPDATE -

Hi All

My brother recommended that I just buy the same brand 225s for the back as one of the two brands of 205s on there. So when I took her in for the alloys refurbng I got the to fit my new Federal Super Steel 225s to the rear to match the 205 Federal SSs on the front. What a difference!

That was last week, today I swapped my alloys onto my new 2004 Black 2 I've just bought, bye bye silver, hello dark destroyer!!!!

Tags: