Manifold

Started by Dogsy, August 30, 2012, 14:39

Anonymous

Haha i bet you dont hate it that much.

will look up these irwin sockets now cheers again.  s:) :) s:)

Onion, Nope not tried them yet but the kit does come with replcement studs and nuts so thought worst case can butcher them off atleast lol

EDIT: Cant source Irwin sockets in a 12mm the 7 piece set has 10, 11 the 13mm   s:( :( s:(

mrzwei

Quote from: "Carbon RX"EDIT: Cant source Irwin sockets in a 12mm the 7 piece set has 10, 11 the 13mm   s:( :( s:(

The thing about these is that they are not an exact science. When the 12mm is *ucked enough you will be able to hammer the 11mm on etc.
They are an effective but expensive solution for a couple of bolts. Plus-Gas, heat, hammer and mole grips are cheaper   s:D :D s:D   (especially heat, get the engine hot or use a canister gas blow torch and watch your hands and arms!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrzwei"
Quote from: "Carbon RX"EDIT: Cant source Irwin sockets in a 12mm the 7 piece set has 10, 11 the 13mm   s:( :( s:(

The thing about these is that they are not an exact science. When the 12mm is *ucked enough you will be able to hammer the 11mm on etc.
They are an effective but expensive solution for a couple of bolts. Plus-Gas, heat, hammer and mole grips are cheaper   s:D :D s:D   (especially heat, get the engine hot or use a canister gas blow torch and watch your hands and arms!

Cheers for the info. i have got a normal long reach HEX socket in both 12mm and 7/16 which i think i can hammer on like you say first to try. I have some plus gas now also to help. Failing that it will be dremel i think :/

doogz

I'd use a nut splitter before I'd take a dremel/grinder to it.

Once you've got the nuts cracked, and manifold off, dealing with the studs will be a lot easier.

In the locations where you can't really get a nut splitter to it, I've used a hammer and chisel before to good effect.

redcarblackhorse

Hi
I had a nightmare with the manifold nuts. Loctite Freeze and release from Camberley Autofactors helped for the ones that did not strip but for the ones that did I had to use hack saw, nut splitters and vice grips. Also for the nuts on the manifold to the CAT I also had to use nut splitters.
Since then I have fitted a Che exhaust box and in doing so had to remove the bumper and the old exhaust and wish I had done this for the manifold as this would of given a lot more access to heat shields etc.

Good luck but it is a feeling of staifaction when the new one is on!:-)
1999 MR-S with a few tweaks!
Circuit de catalunya
24 Heures du Mans
Thruxton
Abingdon Track day

ray835

£829 for a manifold no way is it solid silver or are they chancres .............
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

redcarblackhorse

Mine was about £70 and £30 shipping (from the USA). I think it was a Che one. It had all the fixing on so that you could attach it to the engine block and put the heat shields back. I have looked but could not find that one again but this one is the same (but more expensive)
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MR2-MK3-MR-S- ... 35b01cce8c m
1999 MR-S with a few tweaks!
Circuit de catalunya
24 Heures du Mans
Thruxton
Abingdon Track day

Anonymous

Well on friday after work i finally sorted the Manifold escapade once and forall   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

I was armed with a fresh can of plus gas and a normal hex socket set! Oh and a ramp as was my engineering workshop in the Port i work for   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

TBH with the correct tools this time i managed to loosen and remove every head stud without issue, i was expecting trouble as i had thought i rounded the heads off abit but seeminly not as bad as one thought   s:D :D s:D  

I then moved onto the 'three amigo's' who also came off a treat, although one sheered off, which caused not issues as was not reusing the orig manifold.

I also used clean rubber gloves when hndling the new SS manifold as not to get the greasey hand marks as pointed out by fellow ROC'rs   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

I must say im very happy with the look, mild sound difference and more importantly No Leaks, i used the supplied gaskets although the originals were in reuseable condition!

Massive thanks to all who helped me with info and experience, its why i have time for this forum and will continue to do so!   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Piccies;

Oirginal manifold removed

One pre-cat in perfect condition   s:D :D s:D  

And the second in equally good nic   s:D :D s:D  

One fitted shiney SS manifold   s8) 8) s8)  

Dogsy

Bought said manifold only to be told that company couldn't supply  s:-( :-( s:-(

They are offering same item for £400+ and similar for £800+!

Think I'll be looking elsewhere.
2004 Black Beast of Bodmin Moor - Work in progress

2001 Silver Dream Machine - For Sale

Dogsy

Hi Ray

Just seen your post, when I bought it was £134.00. I was then told its out of stock. I see my original link lists to the new price. Tut tut.

Thanks Redcar.

Looks good Carbon  :-) :-) :-)
2004 Black Beast of Bodmin Moor - Work in progress

2001 Silver Dream Machine - For Sale

Anonymous

I dont understand it atall, i fell lucky now for getting in there before the  spiss piss spiss  take. Alternatively it only about 20 mopre to buy the US ones that also come with mountings for the heat shield and brace supports, i think thats your best bet!

edit: Has anyone seen the new sports cats Che has going on Egay? they come in straight through versions aswell designed to work with st. manifolds and back boxes or like the above ss ones.

onion86

Quote from: "Carbon RX"Oirginal manifold removed
That stud sheering off is why I haven't de-catted my new '2 yet and your car has done waaay less miles... it also snapped on my old one @36,000 and there was no way to get it out as you can't get to the other side of it so I'm worried about trying it @67,000 on this one!
I'm just tempting fate until I take everything out to fit the turbo   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Drill and tap it out mate, shouldnt be a problemo (he say's) lol :/

Jepson246

I can't believe how much these manifolds are when just a month ago they were less than £150 guess I'm going to have to find somewhere to remove my pre cats instead.  Would £100 be a gd price for pre cat removal?
[size=85]2001 silver beauty!
Powder coated anthracite alloys, Dev\'s de-dimplator in gloss black, custom silver side vents with stainless steel meshing, screaming chicken soft top pull handle, silver mr2 vinyl kick plates, PRECATS OUT and a relocated front number plate.
[/size]

Anonymous

Mate i spent 129 delivered for mine, in hindsight the US ones linked are better for little more money. I think 100 for gutting your own is allot!

ray835

Quote from: "Dogsy"Hi Ray

Just seen your post, when I bought it was £134.00. I was then told its out of stock. I see my original link lists to the new price. Tut tut.

Thanks Redcar.

Looks good Carbon  :-) :-) :-)
they once had them priced up for over a grand then the next time they we're down round the 130 mark tbh don't know what's going on with this seller at times ??????
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

Tags: