Shifter Bushings

Started by Anonymous, May 20, 2004, 23:55

Anonymous

As an update to my 6 speed saga here I just thought I'd give you a quick update.

I've had an email back from Carl from Speed Source to let me know that the website is currently wrong and the shifter cable bushings do not include delivery to western europe as currently states.

I have been advised that postage is $6 if you want to order up to 2 bushings kits, or $10 for up to 4. I've just ordered a single Shifter Base Bushings kit and the total cost (at todays exchange rate) including postage comes to just over £18.50. Should hopefully get that nice notchy feel back when they are fitted.

Will let you know when they arrive and how I get on  s;) ;) s;)  Thought I'd make public the info provided by Carl  s:) :) s:)

Mods, this is just my view on something that I'm passing on. I don't know Carl personally and have no vested interest, but if I've crossed any boundaries, please edit and/or let me know  s:) :) s:)

Cheers

Steve

Slacey

Just to add my opinion, I now have alloy bushes as part of the B&M at the stick end and Carl's brass bushings at the box end - the results are great, and the shift feel and action greatly enhanced. The shifter bushes at the box end are a but fiddly to fit (easy enough with an Apexi or similar), but as Mark pointed out on the other thread, you would have to temporarily remove the airbox if running stock.
Well worth the effort though!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

just my 2p's worth -
i have added the brass bushes to the box end and it dramatically improved the feel of the shift - i got my 2 at 45K miles and the shift was horrible b4 i added the bushes. (Removing the air box was easy and the whole process was done in 15 mins)
aim to add in a shortshift which should again improve the shift

Anonymous

They arrived today  s:) :) s:)  So you'd be looking at about 8 days from ordering for them to arrive.

Just in time for bank holiday fitting  s:D :D s:D

Bongo

Nice one mate, hope it helps replace the lost short shifter...

Roll on the rear bushings now  s;) ;) s;)

MRMike

Sorry if they're is another thread on these, but is anyone interested in a GB for these????

Cheers,

Mike
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Bongo

Yes, for rear - i think they do them don't they?

MRMike

Just out of interest, the bushings at the stick end.  Do they increase the notchiness of the action by merely raising the stick, and thus putting the gear change cable under increased tension.  A la squeezing a brake cable on a push bike, which results in the brake lever being harder to squeeze??  If so does that put the cable under any undue stress?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

As far as I know it just replaces the rubber bits on the bottom of the lever cage with metal bits so that there is less play and sogginess when you are moving the stick. I don't think the overall height of the stick/cage is changed, just the strength of the material holding the cage to the car.

With the standard rubber bushings the cage can move slightly as the rubber compresses with the pressure. With the metal ones, it's pretty much rock solid.

MRMike

The height of mine has definitely changed..which made me consider if the intention is to make the cable under increased tension.  I know what you mean about the rubber bushes having more play, but I doubt the difference that is observable could be down to that alone could it? hmm?
  s:?: :?: s:?:

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

markiii

the thicker bushings are used to help adjust the pivot angle of the stick
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Well I did notice that when the cage was in with the rubber bushings on (and the center tunnel off) that I could move the cage with my left hand and see it visibly move somewhat and that was with the rubber bushings being only a month or so old. I'm sure over time they will perish more and become more spongy.

I thought with Carl's bushings that it might increase the height by maybe a millimeter or so, which could make a difference, but I though it was more down to the cage movement. At least that's how I perceived it.

I know when I tried the TRD (which was from a 5 speed and didn't fully fit the 6 speed) that the bushings fitted only under the cage and raised it by about 5 mill over stock. Carl's go over and under the cage like the stock rubbers and are definitely a lesser height than the TRD bushings.

Have you got the bushings from Carl, or did you get some with your shifter? Any pics? I can take pics / measurements of my bushings if you want?

markiii

sorry,  Hanslow is also correct, slop and pivot point are what I meant to impl;y were tegh causes.

strange that yor stock rubber was on the top though mine was underneath
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Hmmm, wonder if it was a facelifted change for the 6-speed?

The rubber on mine appears to be round (what I can only describe as) a spindle. There's a piece of metal shaped like ][ that goes through each corner hole, and the rubber is round that, still inside each corner hole. Does that make sense?

I might be wrong about that, but that's how I seem to remember it. They may just be two separate rubber bits round small metal center pieces....it was a long time ago   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

MRMike

My rubber was on top as well.. I have the bushings off my ebay copy, which were approx 1cm in depth.  The shiftercable is definitely under more stress than in its OEM config. As opposed to running along the floor previously, the cable now is slightly elevated.

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Mike, do your bushings just sit under the cage then, like the TRD ones (not that you'd probably know what the TRD ones are as you don't have them....stupid question   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )?

I think then, that Carl's are more akin to what was standard and don't elevate the cable as much. Is it really likely to stress the cable that much, or is it more of an issue with the push rods?

MRMike

Yes they sit under the cage, like TRD and B&M. (They are identical to B&M) The fact they are larger than stock makes me think that the purpose is to elevate the cage enough to put a little extra stress into the cable.

If Carls are more like stock I may well change to those, as I'm not sure about the longevity of the cable as it is now.

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Tags: