Stupinks mr2 turbo WIP thread :) 293hp

Started by stupink, October 8, 2012, 21:33

stupink

To help me keep track, and also give people at work something to nose at im going to do a thread which I will hopefully update, but im pretty lazy so maybe i wont, but i hope to..

The mr2 arrived as an old hass kit turbo, EMB, no intercooling, exhaust far too loud, not a lot of power. poor sound system. and me clueless about roadsters

So far I have installed an Android powered APP radio by pioneer, speakers to go also. That was while I was tidying the garage to give me some tunes.
In her new home.

The car has now been stripped back end, engine has stayed in, but the manifold/turbo/exhaust/sump is all removed.

Then the old hass flange was cut off, i found the manifold cracked beyond what i'd be happy to sell it for, so opted for recycling

Then an ebay special 200sx equal length manifold was bought, and the flange removed

I then chopped up a couple of the runners to make them fit the smaller port spacing,

Some shoddy stainless welding and heatwrap/thermal painting later and its ready to bolt on(will clean up flanges first)

Next on the to-do list. to help me remember and so you can nose, i will add bits as i remember my plans so if any mods need to change anything please pm me my original because this is the only working list i have. i've needed to write a list for a long time as i keep forgetting what i need to buy.

Make a new 3" stainless exhaust.
fit my EGT/Wideband and Det monitor
Remove seperator in the stock inlet.
Add some capacity to the sump and baffle it.
re-pipe the coolant/oil lines for the turbo because i keep stabbing myself on the stupid braided hoses.
fit oil cooler
Plumb in my chargecooler and associated gubbins

****put car back on the road****

Install referenced fpr+return and walbro pump.
wire/map the EMB to control the boost
Remap the EMB to compensate for the chargecooler, new exhaust and boost levels, fit my water injection if need be.
fit lowering springs
Fit EBC brakes
Make propper roll cage protection bar.
new wheels/track tyres
Thrash it round combe  s:) :) s:)  lol.
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

PaullyP2010

Will be following this, good luck bud  s:) :) s:)
Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

s12vea

Nice project there buddy.
Another one won't hurt  .....

loadswine

I recognise that car. Good project and nice to see this stuff.
 Not sure a 3" exhaust is really necessary, a 2 1/2" one should still flow enough and make noise control easier, especially if you are going to use it on tracks with a noise limit, but whatever you want to go for is cool.
A really good exhaust can definitely be the making of a good turbo install.
I'll be interested to see how it all goes. Thanks for posting up.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

stupink

Thanks for comments.
I agree 3" is not needed, but my plans if the engine pops (probably a when not if with me, I can never stop fiddling) it will get steel internals and low comp. At which point a larger turbo will get bolted on and boost raised, THEN it will need 3" and ill only have to modify it rather than build from scratch  s:) :) s:)

Die$eL

u built your own header! Impressive!!

Are the internals stock? I'm assuming its still the 1zz motor. What boost will you run it at?
Its not your top speed that counts but how quick u get to it...

[size=85]05 - XRSi - 160HP at the wheels (Reef) - 15.7 @ Tarlton - 3.12.2010
01 - MR2 Turbo - 339HP at the fly (Reef)
06 - Hilux D4D 4x4 D/Cab - 190HP (Reef) - 1/4 mile - TBC[/size]

stupink

yeah this engines a stock 1zz (as far as i know)..
Got no goal with reguards to boost, but im going to try to keep the torque up and around 240-250 for as much of the graph as possible as that seems to be the recognised limits for rods/gearbox, then if it does go poof, i'll buy another engine and build it up  s:) :) s:)  So the boost will just end up whatever it needs to be to achieve that, so will be rising towards the limiter to keep torque flat.

markiii

inspired plan, using that ebay manifold and modding it.

did you get lucky enough that everything still lines up with the exhaust? or is a case of don't care as you building a new one anyway?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

simers

Seriously nice project mate.... Will be keepin eyes peeled
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

stupink

Yeah i was always going to make a new exhaust so didnt mind.  im probably mounting the turbo backwards anyway, ie inlet on the right, so will need to make new input/output pipes reguardless  s:) :) s:)   not fully decided yet.. got to see which way fits better. but i figure less bends in the exhaust will be more benificial than less bends in the intake as the exhaust has to flow "more"

markiii

if you have the room to mount it backwards, I would. then put the filter in the bumper recess like the Top Secret and C2 do
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

normanh

Nice job , did you TIG weld? I never got to play at that technique but your weld looks very good.

norman

stupink

Yeah, the intake will definately be going into cold air, not the hot engine bay like hass had it..

the welds you can see are tig but i used mig for the bits i did, you can only see one weld of mine which is the one on the finished article holding the support bracket to the flange.  mig in stainless is okay but not great, or rather i should say, me and my welder are not great at stainless. its only a hobymig and i coudlnt find stainless in a wire smaller than 0.8mm, i'd have preferred 0.6mm so i could run a faster wire speed without such amps.

stupink

Got a bit of play time today,

ended up investigating the removal of the plastic separator in the intake..

OK so first view with a torch, these arnt bad photo's that's actually just all you can see.

then i hit a screwdriver through it to give me a hold to pry it out its location

then basically smashed the smeg out of it and pulled it out (this is much more of a pain in the ass than it sounds and looks, its strong plastic and a small hole)

and then the nice empty chamber you're left with, i think its worth doing personally as it not only reduces the chance of it ending up in your engine, but makes the inlet much more how i would expect a turbocharged car inlet to be in the first place.

the manifold was also bolted on temporarily and the turbo orientation considered before deciding to definitely reverse the mounting from the hass kit.

the outlet will be a quick 180 back toward the rear to the chargecooler, and the inlet will be removed and replaced with a 45degree aiming behind that stainless head shield into the cold air behind the bumper rather than hot engine bay like hass kit.. yuk..

edit todo list

Make a new 3" stainless exhaust.
fit my EGT/Wideband and Det monitor
Add some capacity to the sump and baffle it.
re-pipe the coolant/oil lines for the turbo because i keep stabbing myself on the stupid braided hoses.
fit oil cooler
Plumb in my chargecooler and associated gubbins
Install referenced fpr+return and walbro pump.

wire/map the EMB to control the boost
Remap the EMB to compensate for the chargecooler, new exhaust and boost levels, fit my water injection if need be.
fit lowering springs
Fit EBC brakes
Make propper roll cage protection bar.
new wheels/track tyres
Thrash it round combe  s:) :) s:)  lol.

stupink

This weekends update, i've cut off the flange from the old inlet, and welded it onto a 90bend ally pipe to plumb the filter into the space behind the bumper.
i've also made 90% of the turbo outlet pipe (in steel this time), but thats not finished yet, so next weekends playtime.

the original inlet removed

the original pipe on right with flange cut off and welded on my new pipe on left.

and on the car with a pipe i had "in stock" lol.

simers

Serious work goin on mate... Fair play
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

dj2k21

I will be watching this closely. Love watching a build  s:) :) s:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

stupink

Been a bit lazy with major jobs, but been doing a lot of reading and planning. Money is the time-constraint on this build, i'd have it done in a few weeks if i had the parts.

Anyhow, upgraded to EMU, changed from 3>2.5inch exhast due to funds and room.

started the exhaust build,  straight out turbo into cat.

stripped fuel tank down to replace pump, welded old FPR up ready for a return-line system.

Finished my turbo outlet pipe ready to plumb in the chargecooler, bit of a tight bend, but had to be done as the turbo can't be rotated easily due to actuator mounts.

worlds largest chargecooler in place, copper elbows ready to braze in for water feed/return in confined space,

I've also started to sand blast a spare set of wheels ready for painting, feels like i've done more than this, but i think i've just spent a lot of time tidying and organising the garage.. all worth while, but not immediately productive. I've also decided to pay up for an OBX sump rather than faff around fabricating one, because i'd rather have tried and tested design, than build something that looks good, but may or may not function.

finish the exhaust is the next job. at the moment i fear it may be a bit loud?? lol

dj2k21

Nice.  Same charge cooler as me that one pal  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

stupink

It's overkill, but I want to run it as low boost as possible for the given power. high power low boost engines feel so RAWWW compared to high boost engines, definitely better suited to the roadster chassis.  Can't wait to get it on the road in its new configuation, hopefully this year money dependant.

s12vea

It's coming a long nicely. Bet you can't wait to get out and drive her again.

steve b

Good work with the fabrication.  Great to see thinks being improved with thought of the owner & then by the owner.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

stupink

Yeah looking forward to the drive, had to take my time due to finances, but i've been hoarding parts over the last year or so, meaning im nearly there and have a now "minimal" spend to buy the remainder parts and just my time  s:) :) s:)   hoping for a spin this summer, though I won't be able to drive her properly until i've had time to get the map right, and need a friends help for that as im fairly sure its not wise or legal to drive while on a laptop   s:D :D s:D

stupink

Some good progress doing little pipes and stuff mostly. but engine bay looking more like it should now, chargecooler pipes all done, new plugs installed and injectors ignitors etc all back together.

Exhaust grew a little bit more (all be it with insulation tape welds at the moment lol), just needed to get a feel for where it would sit so i could order the boxes which i've now done.

also welded on a dump valve take off, re-configured the turbo's water and oil lines,  installed my obx sump and oil sandwich and filter.  also got the fuel pressure regulator setup outlined, just waiting on my fuel pump in the post before i do that. i've also gutted the speakers and installed a nice set of 220w kenwood 3way, vaccumed out the glass from inside the door from the apparently previous break in, and weighted up the damp proofing so it doesnt crackle.

V-bands and exhaust boxes in the post, so thats the next major job when they arrive to weld all that up.

s12vea

It's coming a long nicely!

Tags: