Stupinks mr2 turbo WIP thread :) 293hp

Started by stupink, October 8, 2012, 21:33

parker455

Looks wicked mate!!

James and his MR2

Exhaust was too loud? Pffft

stupink

Quote from: "James and his MR2"Exhaust was too loud? Pffft

yup.. for a lot of traks at half revs you need to be under 110decibels, this was over that at idle lol.. doh...
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

James and his MR2

Woah!! lol. Wonder what my car is at decibel wise, do plan to do a track day soon. Is there anywhere I can get a free test?

parker455

Quote from: "James and his MR2"Woah!! lol. Wonder what my car is at decibel wise, do plan to do a track day soon. Is there anywhere I can get a free test?

Gotta be some free apps on the App Store surely?

s12vea

Quote from: "stupink"
Quote from: "James and his MR2"Exhaust was too loud? Pffft

yup.. for a lot of traks at half revs you need to be under 110decibels, this was over that at idle lol.. doh...

It was far too loud! Gotta love the hass scaffold exhaust! Your new system should be a huge improvement for looks and sound!
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

James and his MR2

Quote from: "parker455"
Quote from: "James and his MR2"Woah!! lol. Wonder what my car is at decibel wise, do plan to do a track day soon. Is there anywhere I can get a free test?

Gotta be some free apps on the App Store surely?

Not when your smart-phone has given up after over 3 years   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

stupink

There are apps, but obviously they aren't going to be calibrated to your phone, would give a good idea though, but I just bought a Meter off ebay, it was less than a tenner if I recall. I've never checked myapp against my meter I probably should.

parker455

Just got an App for the job, should be roughly about right. Will test it on my cobra and see how loud it is!

stupink

Another few hours today,

These turned up this week, financially made no sense to build the boxes at the price of the parts.

So have welded up the cat fully now, and tack welded in place the rest of the exhaust,  still want to cut the pipe again just after the flexi and add a second Vband, i want a removable system to make working on the car easier. Need to get some rubbers next and some stainless rod to make hangers before I finish the welding off the car before final fitment. currently supported all by electrical tape and blocks of polystyrene.. not sure thats quite how the pro's do it haha..  Also brace the cat to the block to hold the weight of the turbo.

stupink

Been out for a few hours tonight,
rebuild the fuel pump assembly with a walbro high flow pump, and made a fuel return ready to be reinstalled in the tank.
Stripped exhaust all back down and welded it up fully, added the hangers, Vband, bosses for the o2 sensors, polished up the tailpipe and painted the leadup(thought it would look better) bolted the turbo up with all the gaskets, and reinstalled the exhaust. All final now, not coming off again now.  (until i break something, which sadly i will)

Bumper popped on to check i got the heights right etc.

Few remaining jobs before TAX/insurance time (then mapping etc).  I'm thinking i will probably heatwrap the exhaust at least up until the flexi. keep engine bay temps down a bit. but i'll run the engine first to check for leaks.

stupink

Today I did some of the fueling,
Having installed a walbro 255ltr into the fuel filter cage and fitted a return line into it, today i re-installed it into the tank,  ran a new pipe to the fuel rail, which put in a T piece then ajustable fuel pressure regulator(so i can reference to the turbo boost pressure), then ran the return back to my newly made return port.
temporarily fitted it to a gauge rather than the rail, ran the pump and set it up to 3bar static.

I've also installed the turbo oil and water feed/returns. I feel like i did more than that, but I think it was just one of those days you spend a fair few hours and achieve very little due to a lot of try this try that do this do that, then go back to what you tried the first time lol.. kinda like women shoe shopping :p

new return line

the new pressure reg, its a webber one off a cossie, pop the cover plate off and they're ajustable by allen key.

5e colin

some tasty fab skills you have there  nice project to
VF10 POWERED GT TURBO

WANTED C6? GEARBOX

nathanMR2

Looking good   s8) 8) s8)
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

stupink

Seemingly slowing down, but more because i'm doing little faffy jobs that take as long as some of the bigger ones but leave little to show.

Stripped the front end down and got a radiator on order for the chargecooler,

Got the chargecooler back in place and welded on some brackets to hold it in place permanently.

The patented electrical tape positioning system being applied again..

Weldy weldy

hangy hangy

Made a little expansion tank and bracket for the car, tank at highest point feasible, then didnt take a picture, sorted out the pipe from the tank to pump, pump to cooler, will need the rad before i do the rest.

Then sorted out the inlet pipework to the turbo, sits nicely behind bumper, and in the cool air feed from the drivers intake through the rear quarter panel.

I've also installed some bleed nippies on the charge cooler, as it is supposed to be installed vertically so will trap air.

no jubilee clips on anything yet, as im going to finish the car, then attack the shop and buy brand new clips for the whole build, re-using second hand clips always causes problems down the road(in a litteral sense).

s12vea

Project is coming a long nicely! So close to getting her back on the road!
TF204 Blue

Anonymous

Nice work, will be satisfying when running  s:) :) s:)

stupink

Been busy playing, no time for updates.... but wideband all installed, knock meter installed, oil pressure and temp installed, emanage configured and installed and "guistimate" map uploaded. added an oem lambda sensor again, heatwrap on exhaust and chargecooler installed.  chargecooler pre-rad installed.  oil and water topped up.

Key turned  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D  brummmm brummm..   mot booked for 13th, gives me a few more days to refit all bumpers , and cable tie up electrical cables etc.

Didn't start to begin with, fuel pump relay found to be fried. so i need a new one of them, nicked the aircon one for now.
Then the map which was a mix of what was on the ECU when i bought it (another 1zz map) was pretty dodgy tbh and it woudlnt start, so myself and my friend zeroed it out a lot on the fuel and also removed some airflow ajustments at idle.  now runs a treat and sits at 14.7AFR rock solid. sounds nice too. though quite noisy still with engine noise due to being over a pit. be nice to get the bumper back on etc and get it out on the drive see what the exhaust soundsd like properly.  that will be this weekend..

i have some more build pics ill update when i get time, but for now its get the car done, thread updates can be done later  s:D :D s:D

nathanMR2

Good work  s:) :) s:)  look forward to the pics
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

stupink

Few old pics..
chargecooler pre-rad in place and piped up,   I've now also installed a fan control module that monitors two probes, one air one in the cooler fins and turns the fan on at a user setable difference.

Raised the number plate up a bit to give a little more flow

Heat wrapping on the exhaust(normal glass wrap), exhaust boxes and chargecooler as well as chargecooler pipes that run near exhaust (foil backed glass matt). Also installed boost control solenoid to the Emanage ultimate sub injector port to decrease spool time and raise the boost a bit. 30amp relay added for coolant pump, gauges, pre-rad fan etc.

Bumper all back on permanently(for now lol)

Now just need to rebuild the front and interior and its MOT time.   then I have a few extras like the brakes and suspension and wheels to finish while i'm getting the map sorted.. then hopefully just drive it  s:) :) s:)

today noticed the fuel line is soft  s:( :( s:(  think i've been supplied the wrong type of hose and its reacting..  going to be a pain to get at now to re-do, but has to be done.. gonna give them hell when they're open tomorrow as i specifically requested fuel hose for petrol, even asked if the hose was rated for in-tank immersion which they said no to(not surprised as most arnt)

stupink

MOT .. PASS... SWEEEEET!!!

She drove nice to and from the garage too, all be it stinking of exhaust paint burning off, and on very light throttle (cough, may have hit 6psi, damn it spools easy!!!)..

So now she's on the road, next job is to map it,  Pickup my new alloys off lee and get some decent tyres on there,

Then a few more upgrades,
Swap out the brake disks/pads,
fit my lowering springs (and maybe shocks as a minor possible leak on one shock has been spotted by mot. or i may let it develop after a degrease to be sure)
Track it!! woop woop  s:D :D s:D

Clutch is SOOOO juddery though, I'm not sure what is in it, i believe some paddle clutch or other, but i've had them before and its not very flat surface, looks like the flywheel may need resurfacing, but i'll do that next clutch. not like its gonna last long.

s12vea

Congrats!! The clutch from memory was horrible - it's a 6 paddle jobbie fitted by the previous owner before me it's hard work in traffic.
TF204 Blue

Anonymous

Great work! Bet it's a hoot. Who is gonna map it for you?

stupink

Quote from: "s12vea"Congrats!! The clutch from memory was horrible - it's a 6 paddle jobbie fitted by the previous owner before me it's hard work in traffic.
Yeah it really is horrible isnt it, i find myself getting a back massage every time i try to pull away..   the bite point is quite large, so its not just poor clutch control, i think the flywheel must be warped or something. i've had paddles before and they're smooth just bitey. hopefully it will smooth out with more hard use, and or just wear out and i can buy a new one lol.

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Great work! Bet it's a hoot. Who is gonna map it for you?
Going to do as much as i can myself from logs (drive with log, home and edit etc) and also the Autotune feature of the greddy, but also got a friend who's going to come out with me a few times and drive to help get the fine tuning done.

Anonymous

Wow that's pretty cool. Proper home build. Great work that man

Tags: