Chipping or Turbo

Started by Anonymous, May 25, 2004, 09:08

Anonymous

Guys was wondering how much BHP does chipping give the MR2, I heard some stories of up to 25bhp. But is an electronics GOD needed to fit one. There are various models of these chips. What one have you found is best for the MR2, and how much BHP do they give you. I read its better to chip 1st as turboing may be a bit over kill on our engine without strengthening it. How much does installation cost on one of these.

Ta..

james

Tem

"up to 25hp" just means it can be 0-25hp, but not more than that  s;) ;) s;)

Someone here got 19hp from Unichip, was it mph before going turbo..? Search will most likely find it...

Basic electronics skills should be enough to install one, but then you need a tuning GOD to get the most out of it  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... ht=unichip m

wonders of the search button   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  there is plent more in there too   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Chris

as has been said above, the unichip has been installed with good results previuosly.  However, choosing which route to go down is another matter - one that is currently bugging me!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

GSB

Quote from: "Chris"as has been said above, the unichip has been installed with good results previuosly.  However, choosing which route to go down is another matter - one that is currently bugging me!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Indeed, with the imminent introduction of the TTE turbokit, and the increase in the percieved reliability of other conversions, the turbo option does look more attractive these days. But, which ever way you look at it, it's going to cost mucho £££...

Alternitivley, the unichip is a mere £500ish fitted and tuned by Millway, and for the money, offers more bang per £ than any other modification available for this car. Ok it wont offer you turbo/2ZZ power outputs, but its a big step in the right direction and will definitely help maintain your interest in the car for a few more years. Why the hell no-one's done it is beyond me. I've been meaning to go and have it done for about two years!!!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "Chris"as has been said above, the unichip has been installed with good results previuosly.  However, choosing which route to go down is another matter - one that is currently bugging me!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Indeed, with the imminent introduction of the TTE turbokit, and the increase in the percieved reliability of other conversions, the turbo option does look more attractive these days. But, which ever way you look at it, it's going to cost mucho £££...

Alternitivley, the unichip is a mere £500ish fitted and tuned by Millway, and for the money, offers more bang per £ than any other modification available for this car. Ok it wont offer you turbo/2ZZ power outputs, but its a big step in the right direction and will definitely help maintain your interest in the car for a few more years. Why the hell no-one's done it is beyond me. I've been meaning to go and have it done for about two years!!!
Stop getting me tempted Grant  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

LeeUK

Unichip is £470 inc VAT fitted although a few of there technicians are away on their holiday for the next few weeks and they are pretty busy.... I looked into it the other day!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Chris

Exactly my dilema Grant.  Do I break the bank and lash 3-4k on the turbo conversion (possibly only to around 180bhp), or spend possibly a third/quarter of that amount and get nearly the same levels from chipping, filters, head work etc.

A hard choice, and I guess that's why it's been dicsussed so much lately...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Chris"Exactly my dilema Grant.  Do I break the bank and lash 3-4k on the turbo conversion (possibly only to around 180bhp), or spend possibly a third/quarter of that amount and get nearly the same levels from chipping, filters, head work etc.

A hard choice, and I guess that's why it's been dicsussed so much lately...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
I though the turbo would give you more than that  s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

the turbo could give you more than that. In the case of the TTE, it'a case of what they release it at rather than what power could it theoretically acheive though.

If anyone does decide to go Unichip how about a GB? seem like enough people thinking about it to be worth exploring?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

on the longevity/reliability side of turbo's I'm driving down to spain tonight (800 miles each way + a good few there) and back in 4 days time, all the trip I doubt we'll be going less than 100 and will booting it around, so should be a good/bad test

going with a two turbo'd celicas and one supercharged so were having a sweepstake on who has techy problems first  s:-( :-( s:-(

will report when I get back (hopefully not to soon!)

Chris

Quote from: "markiii"the turbo could give you more than that. In the case of the TTE, it'a case of what they release it at rather than what power could it theoretically acheive though.

If anyone does decide to go Unichip how about a GB? seem like enough people thinking about it to be worth exploring?

** edit:  Don't quite know why this post was blank!!   s:? :? s:?  
I'm guessing it was to indicate interest in a mass chipping session, providing the timescales are ok, and the fish isn't too battered..   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]
[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"If anyone does decide to go Unichip how about a GB? seem like enough people thinking about it to be worth exploring?
Definately would be interested but would like to find out a bit more before I gave a big YES   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

GSB

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Definately would be interested but would like to find out a bit more before I gave a big YES   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... ht=unichip m  

Read and digest my good man, and pay particular attention to the lower part of the torque curve...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Mark, definitley interested, I've put it off for far to long...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

That might be a definate Yes then...  s:) :) s:)

markiii

talking myself into stuff again  s:-( :-( s:-(

worth bearing in mind that IF? you go unichip, and are thinking about the TTE Turbo at a later date the unichip would be surplus to requirements.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

LeeUK

Straying off subject a bit but who cares!   s:D :D s:D  

I'd be interested in a Unichip GB!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"IF? you go unichip, and are thinking about the TTE Turbo at a later date the unichip would be surplus to requirements.

But on the plus side, it'd be a damn hot seller here.

markiii

agreed, just making it obvious in case anyone didn't realise  :-) :-) :-)

LeeUK

However I believe it would be handy if you went the PE route as you wouldn't need the E-manage, just go back to Milways to get it retuned!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

markiii

if, you were going to go PE then teh emanage is more versatile.

however as proved by Martin the unichip with the aded boost module can function very well.

filcee

From a purely economics point of view (and without using search to check my facts - so flame me  s;-) ;-) s;-)  )

unichip, ~£500, +~19 bhp
TTE turbo, ~£4000?? +~42hp

So, for an eighth of the cash, you get nearly half the gain in horsepower.  As a pure guess, possibly less strain on the engine?  And less gubbins to go wrong.

I know what I would do ...
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

markiii

theres also torque to consider, but on pure math your right.

SteveJ

There's absolutely no contest - having had the car for a weekend (during which I covered 1010 miles!), martins turbo is the car that the roadster should have been all along - huge amounts of mid-range torque - power is one thing, but there aint no substitute for the torque that the turbo unleashes from the engine.

Even if the turbo was de-tuned to give the same gains that can be realised from the unichip alone, there would still be a huge amount of extra torque purely from the increased intake volume.

You have to experience for yourself the feeling you get when you open the throttle at 50mph in 4th gear and within 5 seconds you are looking at the wrong side of 100mph (on track at Anglesey I hasten to add  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

mph

A new chart for y'all. Hopefully this better illustrates the comparision...

[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: