MR2 Handling Queries

Started by Yorkie1967, December 1, 2012, 11:51

Yorkie1967

Hi

I'm off to (hopefully) put a deposit down on an MR2 tomorrow   s:D :D s:D  and have a couple of questions. I've read countless reviews/owners messages about the car and can safely say I can't wait to get one, but as I'm buying in winter I had a query about driving in wet/sleety/icy weather - there seem to be conflicting views. I wouldn't drive any car in snow, but the mixed consensus seems to be it's either ok or it's lethal. Is it down to speed? I intend to use the car for my daily commute - 15 miles of dual carriageway and M1 motorway. The carriageway has about 8 roundabouts - being a complete rear wheel drive novice is the car likely to lose it at ANY speed??   s:? :? s:?  Or is it just if you're going flat out?? I don't want to be driving everywhere at 30mph terrified of the back end sliding everywhere!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Is it only when you're pushing the car to the limit? I find it confusing when many reviews state that the car has tremendous grip, and yet others say it loses it when you drive through a puddle. Not sure if it makes any difference, but the car is a facelift model with hardtop. Standard alloys (15 front 16 rear)...

AmeR

The MR2, as with most cars, can be driven in any conditions given that you account for them. There is a danger in any car at any time if the driver is not considering what is happening around them.

I drove my old Prefacelift 2 through two bad winters with plenty of ice and snow, and I'm still here to tell the tale. How? I drove to the conditions!!  s:) :) s:)   Be considerate of Mother Nature and you're less likely to get bitten in the bum!

Make sure that your tyres have good tread, your speed and stance reflect the weather, and stay alert. Winter tyres could be an option if you're concerned.

Yorkie1967

Thanks AmeR

I'm always conscious of conditions in my other car (VW Golf) and have never had any issues. I guess as I've never driven a RWH motor and have read about drivers spinning/losing the rear etc it makes me nervous. Many thanks for the advice!

Wabbitkilla

Hi and welcome to the club.

This car is a great handler, but relies on experience and preparation.
You can both yourself easily.

Make sure you have decent tyres all round, I recommend as you are new to this type of car they are the same make and model all around,have decent tread depth and are at the right pressures.

Go easy at first, gain confidence but don't be over confident ... the car has caught many of us out early days of ownership. If you can find large tarmac'd area clear of other cars then go have a bit of practice in different conditions. Just remember roundabouts get a lot of rubbish put down on them and the surface can get pretty polished. Driving the car involves a lot of 'feel' and it feeds back pretty much everything about the road underneath your bum. So taken time to experience that feel. Drive smoothly and avoid situations that require sudden breaking and direction ranges in bad weather, you will get used to it and learn how far you can push it, just take small steps first.

I used to commute from Skipton to Leeds in all weathers and seasons in the Mr without mishap, that is mainly a roads and a little bit of dual carriageway. I've driven over sheet ice and compacted, OK and some uncompacted snow and used these simple rules to avoid problems. Some tyres are better than others handling wet or wintry conditions so check out the tyre reviews. Tyres with plenty of tread and broad sweeps across the width are better in wintry conditions. Choice of brands and models are limited by the low profiles the car uses though.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Wabbitkilla

The big difference yo will notice comparing it to your old car is the end being driven as you rightly suggest.

Remember fwd cars are pulling the weight of the car around bends so you can put your foot down sometimes to pull the car in sharper, go too hard and the car loses grip and it slides towards the kerb. A different principle applies in the MR2, putting your foot down too hard mid bend in the wet can push the weight of the engine out and you end up with the car drifting the rear, sounds sexy but it can just carry on going so you end up travelling backwards towards the kerb or spinning. This is how I ended up sideways in front of another car 2 weeks into ownership. Lesson learned and 6 years on I'm still happily enjoying the car.

Follow all the advice above you should begin to get a feel form the car and you will enjoy it, don't be scared just be aware.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

dj2k21

Very good advise there as usual wabbit  s:) :) s:)

As a turbo owner one thing I've learnt is a lot of it also comes down to throttle control. If you master throttle control you really can tame the beast so to speak. I'm not condoning drifting round every bend lol but I'm certainly a much improved driver since developing those skills  s:) :) s:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

minimike

For me a massive part of staying on the black stuff is tyres and pressures........

I run standard facelift alloys on Yokohamas at recommended pressures all year. I have been surprised how stable the car is in this type of weather. You have to be pushing on quite hard or driving like a seventeen year old to get in to trouble. Just take your time getting use to the car and you will be fine.
2006 red, 2006 silver TF212, 2003 black, 2001 black

Markb

I only had the mr2 a week or so and did a 400 mile trip a few weeks ago...hit some snow,alot of heavy rain and was on some very bendy roads....tbh the car was fine,i was a bit worried about the reports on here of cars just jumping of the road into trees etc..lol
As said take it easy in dodgy conditions and you'll be ok.

AndrewMason

As above, take it easy and learn bit by bit. I bought my PFL in Dec 2 yrs ago and drove it back from Essex to Portsmouth in the snow. Not ideal but can be done.

The cornering techniques for front engine FWD are different to rear engine RWD once you start to get  "spirited". The speed of entry needs to be slowest as enter the bend and then power round and try not to lift off. I think the biggest problem is car is such a joy to drive you want to go go go!

Enjoy!
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

Anonymous

Some owners buy a spare set of wheels for £50-100 and put winter tyres on them and swap back in spring when it warms up,this is a good option if you are really worried.

Yorkie1967

Hi Everyone

Many thanks for the extremely helpful advice - I'm relieved to see that driving MR2's in adverse weather is more down to common sense than the nature of the car.

Sadly no deposit put down on the one I saw today - bit tatty, 3 inch dent in the bonnet, 12 scratch down the drivers side front wing. All cosmetic, but the smell of burning oil and the loud rattling sound every time it hit 25000rpm definitely put me off. Thought it was the aftermarket exhaust at first, or even the hardtop rattling, but opening the bonnet and listening it was coming from the top of the engine. Gutted.

I'll carry on looking as it's the first time I've sat in one and it actually felt great and did drive well..

Thanks again for the advice.

minimike

I think they all rattle and burn a bit of oil at 25,000rpm........!

Seriously though it is worth waiting for a good example, there are plenty of good and bad ones out there, just be patient. Go for the latest you can afford and facelift is safest (IMO).

You are welcome to check out mine, if you are in this neck of the woods, to give you something to compare against?

Good luck.
2006 red, 2006 silver TF212, 2003 black, 2001 black

Wabbitkilla

Don't be gutted, be grateful for doing the sensible thing, you've checked e things that should be checked and understood that it's better to walk away and find a better car. Well done on not being blinded and doing e right thing, there are others out there.

Good advice above, go for the most recent one you can, full service history and it sounds link you be a good eye and ear for checking cars, you won't go far wrong.

I've just enjoyed a nice drive though the trough of bowland with Steve-m-uk, over polished and mushed ice at times, you need to be smooth and concentrate, we had fun   s8) 8) s8)

Tags: