A few months in...

Started by Mightyquin, December 6, 2012, 23:04

Mightyquin

I bought my MR2 in August after looking at a lot of MGF's and MX5's. I bought the 2nd car I viewed and must admit I didn't know all of the points to check but had read about oil burners.

Anyway, so far so good, I seem to have a good'un, a 2001 PFL manual, which had 4 good tyres of the same brand and correct sizes, and a recently fitted mohair hood. I've been meaning to take it to my mechanic to have an engine and gearbox oil change (I notice the gears are a bit notchy for the first few miles when I haven't driven the car for a few days), and I MUST check if the precats have been taken out because I don't want to risk them breaking up (must get that socket part to take the sensors off).

I still feel like I haven't got used to the car yet, it still feels very new to me (it's a second car so only gets used at the weekends) but I really do find myself taking detours to drive it longer and of course the hood goes down unless it's raining!

I've learnt the importance of correct tyre pressures (really does make such a difference to the handling if the pressures are off!), and wary of the stuff I've read about being tail happy I've driven it cautiously but push it a bit more each time. I've had a few blasts down country lanes but still don't feel I really know the car yet. Of course the weather turned crappy just after I bought a roadster!

I had the car on the motorway for the first time last Sunday, I wasn't looking forward to it but it cruises really well. But it's a car for the A&B roads really.

The limited luggage space hasn't been a problem so far - my biggest gripe is that you have to reset the seat backrest every time you flip it forward to get into the luggage bins. Oh and the interior could have done with some better lighting than that dim little bulb that's hardly bright enough to find the ignition on a dark night!

My car is basically as it left the factory, and I like it as it is pretty much. I'd like to get a pair of leather seats (there's some wear on the cloth drivers seat) and I like the body colour air intakes, but that's about it.

I still feel like a newbie with the MR2. I'm loving the car, I've had plenty of classics in my time - I love cars with a bit of character and I feel that the MR2 has got it - it reminds me a lot of the Triumph Spitfire I had in my teens. I'm certain that these cars will become very sought after 'collectors' cars in not too many years time, it has all the essential ingredients. I like that they are quite rare compared to the obvious rivals. I've had lots of compliments on the car, I don't think people realise how little it cost me!

So yes, really enjoying owning an MR2 and I look forward to every chance to drive it. I've found this site really helpful and hope to meet some of you at future events, or just out and about. And anyone reading this who's thinking of buying one, just do it!

I'll try and insert a quick photo I took at the weekend (but I seem to have problems getting the image thing to work on this site).

simers

Very clean looking two mate... Glad you are enjoying it as they are a great little car... I'm having a love hate relationship with mine ATM but its more love than hate... Enjoy the car and be careful  s;) ;) s;)
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

Wabbitkilla

That's a really nice summary and compliment to what is a great and subtly surprising car.
Long may your enjoyment continue, I'm sure there are many WO feel the same way.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

AckersMR2

s:) :) s:)  good for you, glad your enjoying it. My story's much the same, I've had mine for nearly a year and its also a 2nd / Mrs's car so doesn't do many miles but any excuse to grab the keys  s:) :) s:)
When I bought it I didn't know about the 'problems' but knew I wanted a facelift for the look and a 6th gear. Luckily it also appears I've bought a good'un  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
My only car is a Ducati 

dcod

That's for the write up, glad you are enjoying it. Nice looking 2   s:D :D s:D  

Can I ask how much the new mohair hood cost you? Is it more pliable?
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Mightyquin

Thanks guys.

Simers, guess you can end up hating any car when it gives problems! But you know with the MR2 you'll be rewarded in the end. I was in Ireland recently and thought at the time the roads there would be fun to drive.

dcod - the mohair hood was on the car already. If you search on google or ebay there's a place in Sussex that advertise them just under £1000 fitted. The first car I looked at had the original hood but it was a bit ropey, a few little splits on top and badly frayed/split on the bottom edge behind the doors. The mohair hood folds easily enough but the material is quite thick so I do it gently - you do get small 'ears' but you can fold them in if you want.

roger

Quote from: "Mightyquin"Oh and the interior could have done with some better lighting than that dim little bulb that's hardly bright enough to find the ignition on a dark night!

For £6.50 you can help sort that out here. Others have added LEDs, I'm sure a search will find the details.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

AckersMR2

Quote from: "Mightyquin"my biggest gripe is that you have to reset the seat backrest every time you flip it forward to get into the luggage bins.
That bugs the crap out of me too, I asked the question but it appears there's no solution, can't believe the Japanese thought that was a neutral average driving position, it's even too upright for women!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

StuC

Quote from: "AckersMR2"
Quote from: "Mightyquin"my biggest gripe is that you have to reset the seat backrest every time you flip it forward to get into the luggage bins.
That bugs the crap out of me too, I asked the question but it appears there's no solution, can't believe the Japanese thought that was a neutral average driving position, it's even too upright for women!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

My Gen 4 Prelude used to have a simply mechnical memory seat function, so it is possible.
I wonder if the Celica seats ever had anything like above, being a coupe? I know they are based on the same seat frame.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

AckersMR2

Quote from: "StuC"
That bugs the crap out of me too, I asked the question but it appears there's no solution, can't believe the Japanese thought that was a neutral average driving position, it's even too upright for women!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

My Gen 4 Prelude used to have a simply mechnical memory seat function, so it is possible.
I wonder if the Celica seats ever had anything like above, being a coupe? I know they are based on the same seat frame.
Well let me know when you've found a solution and report back  s;-) ;-) s;-)
My only car is a Ducati 

StuC

I already found the solution   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
Quote from: "StuC"My Gen 4 Prelude used to have a simply mechnical memory seat function, so it is possible.

Taken from this seat mod thread
The little button behind the handle. I am guessing it links into a spring/rachet that engages when the seat is folded back. Simples!! You want anymore answers... buy a seat!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

AckersMR2

Is that supposed to take me to a seat mod thread? It's just a link to the picture?
Maybe I'm being a bit thick but how does showing me a seat from a different car help with the seat of my roadster?
My only car is a Ducati 

StuC

Link updated, my bad!

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Maybe I'm being a bit thick but how does showing me a seat from a different car help with the seat of my roadster?

It is to help inspire you to come up with a solution which we will all pay handsomely for!  s:-D :-D s:-D
I never said I would do it for you!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

AckersMR2

Quote from: "StuC"It is to help inspire you
Inspire me! I got about quarter of the way down and literally dropped off to sleep!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Maybe next summer if its not raining, no actually I've just thought of the perfect solution. Lock the bins and squirt in some SuperGlue. Problem solved  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  you can have that one for free  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
My only car is a Ducati 

StuC

Quote from: "StuC"It is to help inspire you
Inspire me! I got about quarter of the way down and literally dropped off to sleep!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Maybe next summer if its not raining, no actually I've just thought of the perfect solution. Lock the bins and squirt in some SuperGlue. Problem solved  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  you can have that one for free  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

There you go, it did inspire you to come up with a solution!
You are welcome btw  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Annnnnnnnyway back on topic.

Glad to see you are feeling the love for your 2 mightyquin, have you seen the thread on the Southern Sofites trip in April?
Good chance to meet up with some fellow members.  s:-D :-D s:-D

Anonymous

Possible lighting solution?     l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=24053 l

wotugonado

I'm still a relative newbie too, as mine is a weekend toy it obviously doesn't get driven as much as it should, but it still makes me grin everytime I get in it. 10 months on and no sign of the fun factor  wearing off   s:D :D s:D
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Tags: