Power Boost Valve

Started by Peter Wright, July 11, 2003, 19:52

Peter Wright

I noticed from Adams signature that he has a Power Boost Valve

What is it.   What does it do.

Does it give you extra BHP or what.

Reading Japenese Performance Magazine these are priced between £80 to £260 pounds.

Where do I or we go from here.

Peter.
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Jap GT300

The ones in Banzai and Jap Performance are made by FSE.  These are superior to the one that I have which is made by EcoTek.  It is anodised in red and has a matching piper X air filter.  They fit into the breather pipe on the inlet manifold.

Their main purpose is to create turbulence in the breater pipe causing the air & fuel to mix better and faster.  There are supposedly gains in HP 3/4 but nothing that you feel.  These can be noisy when you first get them but they do bed in after a while.

With one of these you can make your car run rich/lean to a certain extent.

I think I paid £70 for mine with the filter.

Adam

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"The ones in Banzai and Jap Performance are made by FSE.  These are superior to the one that I have which is made by EcoTek.  It is anodised in red and has a matching piper X air filter.  They fit into the breather pipe on the inlet manifold.

Their main purpose is to create turbulence in the breater pipe causing the air & fuel to mix better and faster.  There are supposedly gains in HP 3/4 but nothing that you feel.  These can be noisy when you first get them but they do bed in after a while.

Adam

So is it worth it?

markiii

Quote from: "Jap GT300"The ones in Banzai and Jap Performance are made by FSE.  These are superior to the one that I have which is made by EcoTek.  It is anodised in red and has a matching piper X air filter.  They fit into the breather pipe on the inlet manifold.

Adam

I thought teh FSE ones acrtually played with fuelpressure?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

I think that is right.  
The FSE is a lot more flexible and can be better tuned than the EcoTek but they do similar jobs (Air/Fuel Mixing).  I used them as a comparison as many people have only heard of FSE.

The only main advantage other than leaning of your premium fuel for more miles is if you've got a flamer kit on the exhaust (big flames)   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I was desperate for more NA HP when I bought it.  But It isn't value for money.

Adam

Peter Wright

Problem  !!!!!

When booking in for a UNI-CHIP to be fitted, (after the H&S Exhaust and a Power Boost Valve)

Ordering the Power Boost Valve from FSE they said it cannot be fitted to the 1.8 VVTi Roadster.
After disbelieving them they told me to phone Fensport for confirmation they too confimed it could not be fitted to our vehicles

Any ideas anybody cause JAP GT300 says he has one fitted ?????

Pete   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:? :? s:?
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

markiii

Peter,

First off the adam had the ecotek, and I'm not convinced they are the same thing.

Now to the FSE.

If I remember correctly the FSE is a rising pressure fuel regulator whose job it is is to increase throttle response more than power by increasing the pressure in line with how much welly you give it.

On most cars a return line fuel system is used whereby the fuel is pumped around a loop off which the injectors are tapped. The only way to increase/decrease pressure on these systems would normally be to vary the dieameter of the return line and hence adjust the pressure. Since this gives a static pressure for a given application the FSE is siupposed to help ny changing the pumped pressure around the loop in accordance with throttle input.

The roadster engine 1ZZFE uses a returnless fuel system where only enough pressure and fuel is used to suit the requirements of the injectors, we also use direct injection so for every pulse of fuel is metered exactly as required by each injector as calculated by the fuel map in the ecu.

This means the FSE is not compatible. It's also why Turbo conversions often convert to a return style system as with larger injectors or an extra 5th injector the stock fuel system struggles.

I forget what Martin did with the fuel system when adding his turbo and fifth injector but I beleive there were some mods to the fuel system.

Martin over to you!

This may not all be totally accurate but I don't think I'm far off.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Quote from: "Jap GT300"I was desperate for more NA HP when I bought it.  But It isn't value for money
Is it really worth the bother Peter?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"If I remember correctly the FSE is a rising pressure fuel regulator

On most cars a return line fuel system is used whereby the fuel is pumped around a loop off which the injectors are tapped. The only way to increase/decrease pressure on these systems would normally be to vary the dieameter of the return line and hence adjust the pressure.

You remember right, FSE is a fuel pressure regulator.

But I thought most "normal/older" cars control the fuel pressure by a fixed rate fuel pressure regulator. At least every car I've played with had that kinda system (prev MR2's, Supras, several Corollas). You just replace the fixed rate regulator with adjustable one, when you need to change the pressure.

AFAIK, the return line itself isn't the limiting factor.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mph

Quote from: "markiii"I forget what Martin did with the fuel system when adding his turbo and fifth injector but I beleive there were some mods to the fuel system.
Turbo cars require a variable fuel pressure regulator to prevent the air pushing into the injectors instead of fuel coming out under boost.

The turbo regulator is linked to manifold pressure in order to increase appropriately; in the system I have, it stays returnless.

I don't see any point in messing with your fuel pressure like this. Far better (and safer) to simply adjust the duty cycle on the injectors. Further, on our cars, you will get no performance increase from just dumping more fuel in than is already there. Even if you did, the ECU would see this and remove it back out again.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"I don't see any point in messing with your fuel pressure like this. Far better (and safer) to simply adjust the duty cycle on the injectors. Further, on our cars, you will get no performance increase from just dumping more fuel in than is already there. Even if you did, the ECU would see this and remove it back out again.

I believe the ECU doesn't adjust the mixture on full throttle. I could be wrong though...

You're right about the mixture being perfect for stock car anyway, so there's no need to change it.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Just going back to the issue of the difference between the two. The Ecotek is a valve that introducses turbulence in to the inlet manifold causingb the fuel air to mix more thoroughly and thus increase effieciency and response. The FSE powerboost valve allows adjustment of the fuel pressure that the injectors "see" and thus allows extra fuel to be supplied to balance other modifications that allow extra air to be sucked in.

Comer

Quote from: "RUSTY"The FSE powerboost valve allows adjustment of the fuel pressure that the injectors "see" and thus allows extra fuel to be supplied to balance other modifications that allow extra air to be sucked in.

So would the FSE powerboost valve complement an induction kit like the Apexi?
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

markiii

In theory yes, but with the way our ecu works I doubt it. You'd be better spending the money on the Dastek to do this.

25bhp extra anyone?

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"25bhp extra anyone?
yeah, i could go for some of that!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

yeah but your bank account £500+ down tho Kris   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"yeah but your bank account £500+ down tho Kris   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

ahhh.... maybe not then!   s:( :( s:(

Tags: