A measurement please...

Started by psychosomatic88, January 1, 2013, 14:25

psychosomatic88

I don't have my MR2 too hand so could someone be very kind and measure the length of the storage space behind the seats?

I need to know if I can store a work related item that would need to be locked away and from sight.

The only dimension I can find suggests its 8" deep and have been looking for a while   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  . Could some one give a quick WxHxD although width is most important.

Thanks in advance.

roger

Basically its 42" wide, but you can extend it to about 45/46" by taking the plastics out at each end. Height varies as you are aware, as does depth.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

psychosomatic88

Thank you Roger that is very helpful. One article is 40", others 43.5" so now off to investigate plastic removal.

roger

Quote from: "psychosomatic88"Thank you Roger that is very helpful. One article is 40", others 43.5" so now off to investigate plastic removal.

For that might get away with just one end taken out. From memory there are 2 locking plastic lugs. Just make sure you don't force them, I've broken one before, and it remains broken.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

psychosomatic88

Thanks again. I take it they are just a piece to make the inside cosmetic? As opposed to, say, keeping elements/engine noise/fumes etc out of the cabin area?

spit

Quote from: "psychosomatic88"I take it they are just a piece to make the inside cosmetic? As opposed to, say, keeping elements/engine noise/fumes etc out of the cabin area?

They cover up jutty out things like wiring and seatbelt paraphernalia. Its all pretty secure so you're unlikely to do damage - just be aware that its there when loading and unloading.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

psychosomatic88

Sweet, very happy to hear this. Space (I know I know) was the only real thing concerning me at purchase, especially as its a soft top (thinking theft here of goodies in stow). My previous car was an alfa GTV and the boot was *just* big enough.

So with the above in mind I'm thinking remove plastic trim, then depending on room available (items theoretically will fit but but doing is believing) trim with maybe a 2mm rubber sheet to prevent snagging/damage etc etc.

Anonymous

I think its best to try before buying as the space is limited on hight and depth and it gets smaller on the depth as it goes up plus last but not least you reduce the hight when you put the roof down.

trevsmr2

Just a note to bear in mind ,
the removable plastic sections say on them ,that they have to be fitted before lowering the roof
 cant see why though ?

psychosomatic88

I wish I could of checked the space, trust me, if I *really* could of I would have. However on looking at it, I was confident it would suit. And to be honest if it doesn't fit (though I'm confident it will, and in 99% of the cases it will as items will be much less than 40" ) big woop, I'll hire a car.  s:D :D s:D

Interesting point regarding the writing/lowering the roof.

onion86

Quote from: "trevsmr2"Just a note to bear in mind ,
the removable plastic sections say on them ,that they have to be fitted before lowering the roof
 cant see why though ?
The main section under the roof is the bottom of the parcel shelf (i.e. solid plastic), the bits either side are where the roof drainage liner is and don't have any protection if the plastic parts are removed so would be more easily damaged... probably the only reason, fine if you're careful.

Quote from: "psychosomatic88"I wish I could of checked the space, trust me, if I *really* could of I would have. However on looking at it, I was confident it would suit. And to be honest if it doesn't fit (though I'm confident it will, and in 99% of the cases it will as items will be much less than 40" ) big woop, I'll hire a car.  s:D :D s:D
If you're ever over the bridge you're free to come and check the space in mine. Not too far away, we got our Fiesta from the Ford garage in Lydney.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

psychosomatic88

Thanks Stu that's very kind, infact, I visit Bristol very regularly and spent New Years and that weekend down the waterfront for a mini break.

I have now picked her up, yet amazing, the largest mentioned article fits WITHOUT removing anything! Awesome!!

onion86

No problem, happy to help. Glad it fits!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Tags: