Head scratcher, non mr2 related

Started by wotugonado, January 15, 2013, 20:32

wotugonado

Well this morning we could nt get in to my missus pug 307cc, after a can of de icer liberally sprayed everywhere we managed to open the drivers door and off she went to work, half an hour later got a phone call from her saying the passenger door had swung open whilst driving and clipped a lampost  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  causing some panel damage and breaking the handle.
So has any one any ideas why or how ? As my kids spend a lot of time in that passenger seat, and we are a bit worried about it happening again when theyre in there?
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

mrzwei

The actual door catch is very mechanical so is nothing to do with say central locking.

My guess would be that either the outside door handle or the inside door handle was stuck in an open / semi-open position. I'd start there, does anything stick in the open position?  May need to try the door a few times.
It's usually just rigid / flexible wire connections between the handles and the catch on the door. Worst scenario is you may have to remove the door card to check that all is ok.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

scottish_turbo

Edit: ignore me i just realised the problem I was talking about wasn't with a Peugeot.

carolineasb

Did either of you try the passenger side when you couldn't get the driver's door open?  Perhaps you didn't realise it had opened but then it defrosted on the run?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

wotugonado

Well ive had to source a new external handle, and its got an electrical connector on the end for i presume a solenoid( think thats what its called) so do you suppose it could be a central locking fault ?
What i cant understand is how it opened fully, as they normally open a little then catch again as a security measure unless the handle is being held in the open position.
After a quick read of the pug forums ( no joy in solution to this problem ) looks like these cars suffer with really bad electrical faults, but this could have been quite serious if someone was in the passenger seat.

dj2k21

I think the fact its sodding freezing out is the issue. I had the exact same issue with my 307. They are big hefty doors and if thry are frozen the locking mechanism freezes too so shutting the door literally just shuts it it doesnt actually clasp shut. Best thing to do is shut the door and push the central locking button which is one of the 4 on top of the dash to lock all the doors fron inside. I have this exact ongoing battle with my 5 series too. I pour hot water liberally into the door mechanism which sorts it but its only a temp fix. Only advise I can give is squirt some pure fairy liquid into the mechanism before locking it up for the night. It should stop it freezing mate  s:) :) s:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

wotugonado

Quote from: "carolineasb"Did either of you try the passenger side when you couldn't get the driver's door open?  Perhaps you didn't realise it had opened but then it defrosted on the run?

Ah good call that, that could explain the door releasing. But would it have opened all the way shouldnt it have latched, as the handle wasnt being touched at the time ?

wotugonado

Quote from: "dj2k21"I think the fact its sodding freezing out is the issue. I had the exact same issue with my 307. They are big hefty doors and if thry are frozen the locking mechanism freezes too so shutting the door literally just shuts it it doesnt actually clasp shut.

Cheers bud,  think ill be spraying de icer all over that then.

AckersMR2

We chopped our 307 in for the 2 because of electrical gremlins. The front electric windows had a mind of their own the whole time we owned it, I think it was a dodgy trap sensor thing (you know to stop trapped fingers/heads) but the dealer never fixed it. Then it stated randomly blowing 20amp starter motor fuses, a look on the forums it was a common thing with the apparent official fix being to fit a 25amp fuse!!!!!
This and the fact you could operate the brakes from the passenger footwell was enough for us! The car looked alright and was cheap but after a while you quickly noticed the build quality was pretty poor.
My niece has a 207cc and she's hardly ever folded the roof down in fear of it not going back up again  s:( :( s:(
My only car is a Ducati 

wotugonado

Yeah weve had a few other leccy problems with it too, including the same window problem as you, after reading the pug forums im not optimistic for the future.

dj2k21

Ive currently got a 1.6 petrol on my drive and also a 2.0 diesel at my unit sat ready for breaking. Had it from new and at 103k it dropped a valve. So goingnto break it. Again all kinds of electric issues with it. Constantly blowing bulbs. Bsi units and other things.  Was the worst car ive ever had. They absolutly ruin bottom arms and track rods too. They seem to munch them and also dual mass flywheels too. Converted mine to solid flywheel in the end and it was much better.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

carolineasb

Was thinking that the actual lock bit came out of the latch bit (very technical spot the female and hubby mechanic is not here to ask!) but the rubber seal around the door was frozen and still held it tight, well tight enough until it defrosted?  I've often tried doors when they are frozen and only realised that they were actually "open" when I got in the car and saw the "door open light" on the dash but they didn't look open.
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

2 of the left

Best bet is to cover door mechs with WD40 the night before a cold snap is forecast - it does what it says on the can - Water dispersant and keeps all metal parts chummy!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

StuC

Does it really say "chummy" on the can?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I have experienced the same thing that Caroline stated. Hopefully it is something simple like that.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: