How often do you drop your roof?

Started by Zonda_, February 22, 2013, 21:27

Joesson

When I was talking with the service Manager at my local Mr T about the then new GT86 and the fixed roof he understood that Toyota had decided against a folding metal roof for the GT as they could not get the system to meet their trouble free requirements.
If folding metal roofs had been in vogue when the 2 was developed and had been incorporated the 2 would not have the same power /weight ratio and the MR2ROC would be a very different place!

parker455

Quote from: "trickyD"Too heavy I suppose?
For the same reason the folding tin-top MX5 is supposed to be inferior to the ragtop...

Makes sense, surely they could use a fibreglass folding one. I'm no engineer but would be good if they did.

trickyD

Nice idea, I wonder why it's it been tried?
As an engineer I can't think of any reason, apart from the question of what it would give you over fabric?
More security I guess?
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

parker455

Quote from: "trickyD"Nice idea, I wonder why it's it been tried?
As an engineer I can't think of any reason, apart from the question of what it would give you over fabric?
More security I guess?

More security, maybe toughen up any body roll. Guess it has potential for safety if the cars rolled (bracing etc). Haven't fully thought it out but that's my initial thinking.

AndyM

Quote from: "parker455"More security, maybe toughen up any body roll. Guess it has potential for safety if the cars rolled (bracing etc). Haven't fully thought it out but that's my initial thinking.

I don't think a panelled fibreglass hood wouldn't give you any rigidity or safety benefits over a soft top. Would stop roof slashing I suppose.

I think the downside is the mechanism to make a fibreglass section hood fold will be cumbersome, heavy and probably remove even more of the valuable bin space as it won't be as compact as the vinyl.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

trickyD

Agreed.

And we need to stop saying fibreglass sorry  s;) ;) s;)
Only two bit kit cars and canoes are made from fibreglass, it's not a volume automotive material, sorry to be a pain
It would be some kind of plastic, there are some very high performing ones now.

/pedantry

Bits for sale!

StuC

I disagree. It would be made out of a composite if some sort. Which is what fibreglass is. It is unlikely to be hand built in a jig. There are plenty if modern volume cars that use composites in this way. They are generally cheaper in tooling costs and also lighter than their metal counterparts.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

trickyD

Pretty sure fibreglass isn't a composite.
A composite is made up of one or more material.
Also composites are quite rare, I know Aston use them for their body parts, but it's very labour intensive. The curing process takes longer than it takes to "make" a whole Fiesta.

Also sure I've never ever heard of fibreglass being used by a volume car manufacturers - quite happy to be proved wrong though!  s:) :) s:)

Anyway, fibreglass it is  s;) ;) s;)
It's our invention!

Bits for sale!

StuC

Quote from: "trickyD"Pretty sure fibreglass isn't a composite.
A composite is made up of one or more material.

So FIBRE and GLASS are not more than one component???  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I work in the industry and every OEM I have worked for have used composites. Be that glass filled or carbon or something else. They are not as rare as you think. Some of their processes make some of then very expensive to use. I.e. Carbon fibre.
Lots of plastics in high volume cars also have extra stuff like glass and talc added for different reasons. Take the sills plastics on the roadster. They turn white when scratched because of the talc content.

trickyD

I also work in the industry; automotive design.

Still don't think there is any fibreglass on a volume car...

But I'm done with this

Bits for sale!

kentsmudger

Quote from: "trickyD"Also sure I've never ever heard of fibreglass being used by a volume car manufacturers - quite happy to be proved wrong though!  s:) :) s:)

Ahem    s8) 8) s8)
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

trickyD

Jesus holy Christ!
Hang your head in shame, what an abortion.

Anyway we've already agreed the folding top would be made from fibreglass!
For good or bad

Bits for sale!

parker455

Well.. that escalated quickly lol

trickyD

Yeah sorry  s:( :( s:(

I take all your points on board chaps
Thanks for the lesson

Bits for sale!

StuC

Quote from: "trickyD"Yeah sorry  s:( :( s:(

I take all your points on board chaps
Thanks for the lesson

How long have you been a design engineer then?
Which areas have you worked in?
Body, trim, electrical, brakes, suspension, engines, transmissions?

trickyD

I don't do it any more but I was for 10 years
Powertrain mostly and a bit of body

Bits for sale!

Tags: