Induction Kits

Started by Anonymous, June 9, 2004, 17:22

Anonymous

Right Induction kits then

As my very first mod, I've been informed that one of these will make my car sound great, and possibly (but not very likely) improve performance.  

Now, the person who informed me has a a3 turbo and fitted a K&N for about £60 and is happy as.

I've searched through this forum and seen loads of things that have really confused me, but my main questions are:

1)   Is this going to wreck my car?
2)   Why are the things I've seen on here (for example Blitz) £170, and not £60
3)   Can I fit this myself, not knowing anything about mechanical 'things'
4)   What should I buy, and where should I buy it from
5)   Should I really bother?

I know this has been discussed a lot, and it's also pretty simple.  But I'm awfully confused.

markiii

Quote from: "odub"Right Induction kits then

As my very first mod, I've been informed that one of these will make my car sound great, and possibly (but not very likely) improve performance.  

Now, the person who informed me has a a3 turbo and fitted a K&N for about £60 and is happy as.

I've searched through this forum and seen loads of things that have really confused me, but my main questions are:

1)   Is this going to wreck my car?
2)   Why are the things I've seen on here (for example Blitz) £170, and not £60
3)   Can I fit this myself, not knowing anything about mechanical 'things'
4)   What should I buy, and where should I buy it from
5)   Should I really bother?

I know this has been discussed a lot, and it's also pretty simple.  But I'm awfully confused.

no
because teh roadtster is very low volume and hence teh target market is small
yes, easy as
if you are going tobuy an induction kitget the apexi
depends, read this  m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... et+ductand m  decide for yourself.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

That just confuses me even more,  

Too many choices.

Where can a get the apexi kit, fruitless web searches so far.  I just wanna compare prices.

Japanparts has the blitz kit for about £130 I think

Darth Paul

Taka Kaira has the A'pexi for around £90.

markiii

avoid the blitz kit like the plague, the filter is pants.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ChrisHumes

ive just fitted the apexi and being my first mod (not knowing much about mechanics) i think its great. easy to fit and great sound. got it from whifbitz who was very helpful as well (paid about 130 including postage mind). very highly recommentded mod.

Darth Paul

As I said around 90 quid from TK. I ordered on the Friday and it was waiting for me when I got home from work the following Monday!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

ah good advice, y'see.

so just to be absolutly clear, i need:
Apex Power Intake
part no: 24377
for the: MR-S  
made: 99.11~  
chassis ZZW30  

And i don't need anything else, no pipes, no wangles.

I assume this will invalidate my warrenty and insurance,

Slacey

Quote from: "odub"ah good advice, y'see.

so just to be absolutly clear, i need:
Apex Power Intake
part no: 24377
for the: MR-S  
made: 99.11~  
chassis ZZW30  

And i don't need anything else, no pipes, no wangles.
Yep....

Quote from: "odub"I assume this will invalidate my warrenty and insurance,
My local dealers are cool with it, but my insurance company didn't like it one bit... it's a long story, but I ended up having to take out a new policy with another insurer, but I know plenty of others here haven't had this problem, just a charge on the premium.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

ChrisHumes

my premium stayed the same, i just said it didnt improve the performance!

Slacey - have you checked your pm's? I pmed you a few days ago!?

Anonymous

Hmm, i'd better check that,

i'm with Elephant and intend to say it's a non performance mod, i reckon ' new air filter', not 'Imported japanese power induction kit' is the right thing to say.

They're good eggs at elephant, so i reckon it'll be ok.

Bongo

Quote from: "odub"They're good eggs at elephant

Aslong as you don't have a hardtop   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bongo"Aslong as you don't have a hardtop   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

What do you mean by that?

markiii

it's an induction kit, not a filter be picky they will be.

Peter Wright

I went for the Apexi but if I was buying now I would go for
 m http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=38634 m
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

markiii

I wouldn't

a) BHP claims are not going to happen
b) teh filter is likely crap, so you'd have to buy a new one and fab a mounting plate
c) your replacing yet more rubber pipe with metal, so it will get hotter

Bongo

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "Bongo"Aslong as you don't have a hardtop   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

What do you mean by that?

They classed it as mod and wanted extra money without providing any extra cover. Direct Line covered it for free.

Anonymous

Anyone know where I can buy a K&N from? I've looked everywhere but no joy!! Im assuming its a 57i Cone not a panel filter....

markiii

they don't make a specific kit for the Mk3, you'd need a 57i generic and some patience.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"they don't make a specific kit for the Mk3, you'd need a 57i generic and some patience.

Cheers Markiii

No wonder I couldnt find one. I dont fancy bodging a job, so i'll leave the K&N then.

What do you recommend for noise?? But at low revs, I dont want the Apexi again, the lag was quite considerable.

markiii

noise or performance?

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"noise or performance?

Noise...

markiii

take out your elbow and see what you think of that.

Jap GT300

Quote from: "S7EVE"Anyone know where I can buy a K&N from? I've looked everywhere but no joy!! Im assuming its a 57i Cone not a panel filter....

You can actually get a K&N but they are produced for the american market only.  You should be able to import it though, but you will have to close off the EVAP hose.

Adam

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"take out your elbow and see what you think of that.

I've had that in place for a while now, and she sounds good. Just after something louder at low revs to compliment my exhaust, and something which looks good!!

Blitz is a NO
Apexi is a NO (Been there)
K&N is a NO
AEM?
Injen?
Any others?

What have u got Markiii?

Tags: