2ZZ Engine Transplant

Started by Anonymous, June 10, 2004, 14:23

Anonymous

I want more power, and the 2ZZ engine seems a good route.

My car is a 2002 5sp manual with a Magnex dual pipe exhaust.

I've found an engine for £1175 (minus an allowance for mine), and my garage are up for doing the work. But what challenges do I need to make them aware of before going ahead with this? And what else will I need to buy to enable to the job to be done?

markiii

I woudl suggest a visit to SC as the absolute Guru of this is Litrtlerocket, and I'd hate to re-iterate too much without properly understanding it, however having said which heres a few bits for starters

1. you will need a custom exhaust manifold, as the ports are different on teh 2zz.
2. You will need a 2zz ECU (obviosu in theory)
3. Assuming your going to do teh 6 speed manual conversion as well, you'll need a new shift selector for teh gearbox as it shifts from teh opposite end on the celica.
4. You will need to swop some wires around, I have th diagram but best to check with Blitzo (on SC to see if there is a more up to date copy)
4. TPS wires need swopping
One of the engine mounts need modding, Grant and Adam will no doubt remind me which one?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Right side engine mount I think. Adam?

Wiring isn't awful, and can be done in a leasurely afternoon, but if you have an SMT for gods sakes get yourself a Manual MR2 engine loom, as its a pig otherwise.

Do as many of the wiring mods to the loom, BEFORE you put it in the car. Likewise it'd be a good idea to finalise little details like re-routing the dipstick before the engine goes in too.

Be prepared to put up with a few odd electrical gremlins after the swap, nothing to serious, just things like the immobiliser may not work anymore, and the power steering pump will never ever turn itself off anymore, a very quick drain on the battery if you're accustomed to leaving the ignition turned on to listen to the radio for instance.

Other than that, I'd suggest getting some insurance quotes...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

good point about teh dipstick, if you don't sort this the celica access point is hidden under the bulkhead so your stuffed at checking teh oil level.

I'd also recomend getting the official workshop manuals for both your car and teh celicas engine.

They will help your mechanic greatly in the swap and will prove invaluable to you in supporting it afterwards.

Spend some time reading them beforehand.

oh, and I'd be very interested to see what the insurance comes out as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"Right side engine mount I think. Adam?

Other than that, I'd suggest getting some insurance quotes...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Thanks for that. it's not as extensive as I'd feared. Though the electrical Gremlins don't fill my heart with joy.

Anyone out there got any pointers for a good company modified insurance quotes?

GSB

Quote from: "DoctorDee"
Quote from: "GSB"Right side engine mount I think. Adam?

Thanks for that. it's not as extensive as I'd feared. Though the electrical Gremlins don't fill my heart with joy.

Anyone out there got any pointers for a good company modified insurance quotes?

Dont worry about the gremlins... The steering and the immobiliser are the only things that seem to occur, simply because the Celica ECU seems to want the steering on all the time, and the immobilser circuits in the MR2 have to be disconnected to fit the 2ZZ. Fit an aftermaket alarm, and doent leave the car with the engine off and the ignition turned on. The steering pump issue may yet be curable, but during Adam's swap we havent had access to a 2ZZ manual to look it up!

One other thing, be prepared to guess at your revs, as with a 2ZZ fitted the rev counter reads fine to the redline, but at that point the 2ZZ is only just waking up. Hence the redline is where the fun starts not where it ends as with the 1ZZ! Be prepared to see some very alarmed faces as the needle comes sailing off the end of the scale!
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I wouldn't consider the electrical stuff much of a big problem.  If you want to save money and time (since the selector shaft needs to be machined for the 6spd) the 5spd will work just fine.  If I were you, I'd look for a better price unless that includes the 6spd trans.  If you're going to have a shop do it, I'd suggest printing out everything written out on spyderchat.  Otherwise, why not attempt it yourself?  It's not that bad and pretty fun if you invite a couple of car buddies over to lend you a hand with the heavy stuff.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"One other thing, be prepared to guess at your revs, as with a 2ZZ fitted the rev counter reads fine to the redline

Is it not possible to put the Celica tach in there? Or some other third party rev counter?

Anonymous

Quote from: "143hawaii"If I were you, I'd look for a better price unless that includes the 6spd trans.

I went through find-a-part, got lots of responses, but £1000 + VAT is cheapest, and geographically nearest. They want an extra £350 for the 6spd manual.

I know someone else has been criticised on here for not knowing where to get an engine from... but where would I look to find a low mileage example for a lower price?

Tem

Quote from: "DoctorDee"I know someone else has been criticised on here for not knowing where to get an engine from... but where would I look to find a low mileage example for a lower price?

I wouldn't mind that info either...those tend to be roughly 5000 euros over here  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

I wouldn't class that as a bad price for a 2zz to be honest, I am assumingti includes the ecu?

Jap GT300

I paid 1800 for the 2ZZ engine, gearbox and ECU from Jap Pats in Hythe, Kent, they have a website.

You forgot to mention that the accessory belt also won't fit so you will have to change it.

And the 2ZZ PAS pump is belt driven so it will have to be replaced with the 1ZZ Idler Pulley!

The mount that need to be adjusted is the right hand one (above the pulleys)

Anonymous

Quote from: "143hawaii"If I were you, I'd look for a better price unless that includes the 6spd trans.

I went through find-a-part, got lots of responses, but £1000 + VAT is cheapest, and geographically nearest. They want an extra £350 for the 6spd manual.

I know someone else has been criticised on here for not knowing where to get an engine from... but where would I look to find a low mileage example for a lower price?

You could use car-part.com (I'm not sure if it works in the UK) or do some grunt and call/search all of the salvage yards up there.  I'm not sure how plentiful the Celica GT-S is up there but you guys also have the 2ZZ equipped Corolla T-Sport.  I ended up finding the best deal at a salvage yard that didn't advertise at all on the net and wasn't in any online database.  I got an '02 2ZZ with ~11k miles and a '01 ECU for less than half the price what your supplier is asking which is why I suggested searching around a bit more.  I know "22XY" on Spyderchat also got a similar deal.  Maybe we were just lucky bums?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  However, £350 for a 6spd trans is a great deal!  I'm still waiting for a 6spd to popup locally here myself.

Anonymous

Go in the spyderchat library and there is a condensed post on what you need to change and do.

If you are not happy then search a bit or PM some guys.  I can help if you want.

spyderman

how about importing this.... you can have the whole car with the 2ZZ engine for about 1000 pounds, and then you can sell extra parts such as airbags... trust me its worth the hassle. Freight charges are about 400 pounds i think.

m http://www.win-tech.co.jp/0ction/usrDtl ... =966224940 m
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery. Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don\'t be afraid of them.you\'ll never find things like that one on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high

-SOT-

Anonymous

Thanks to all for the advice, but in my crazed lust for more power in a 2 seater soft-top, last night I bought a 480bhp RAM AC Cobra replica racing car.

If anyone is interested in a 2002 black manual 5-sp MR2 with 20,000 miles  black leather, Magnex twin tailpipe exhaust, EcoTec valve, Sony MP3 player with Diamond speakers, Pioneer amp and under dash subwoofer. Let me know.

It's a Euro Spec Danish import, in warranty until March 2005. I'm guessing £12,000 is the right price?

GSB

For gods sake sell the UD sub on here, it was bloody hard to get hold of, and you'll get none of the considerable expense involved back by selling it with the car... Same goes for the rest of the mods, but especially the sub, that needs to go to another ROC member...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Bongo

I'd be interested in it... (the sub that is)

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"For gods sake sell the UD sub on here, it was bloody hard to get hold of, and you'll get none of the considerable expense involved back by selling it with the car... Same goes for the rest of the mods, but especially the sub, that needs to go to another ROC member...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

You speak sense. But I kinda thought that since the GB was only a few weeks ago, everyone *here* who wanted one would have one by now. And of course I hoped that someone might know someone who was interested in the car whole.

Removal and shipping will seriously dent any comparative profit though - bot the UD sub and the exhaust are heavy. The car with them fitted may be more attractive than all the others in the Trader next week.

But clearly there IS interest. And I'd rather someone who appreciated it had it.

So the UD sub cost what? £180 for the enclosure (I honestly can't remember) and £90 for the speaker. Offers accepted. I still have the original exhaust, so anyone wanting a cheap(er) Magnex Twin pipe can make an offer for that too if they are interested... it's really only been on the car for 10 days. It sounds very nice too.

Bongo

I didn't have the car at the time of the GB.

I'm quite interested now though - let me check my finances...

Anonymous

Please carry on this discussion by PM or start another thread in the correct forum. This is going way off topic. Thankyou.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Please carry on this discussion by PM or start another thread in the correct forum. This is going way off topic. Thankyou.

This has been on PM for over 24 hours now, and I did move the car for sale into "Buying/Selling & Group Buys" section.

The appropriate actions have been taken, and the thread was probably about to die anyway.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Please carry on this discussion by PM or start another thread in the correct forum. This is going way off topic. Thankyou.

This has been on PM for over 24 hours now, and I did move the car for sale into "Buying/Selling & Group Buys" section.

The appropriate actions have been taken, and the thread was probably about to die anyway.

Hey, just doing my appointed moderator job.  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: