Driving position

Started by Anonymous, July 14, 2003, 12:52

Anonymous

Hi all,

I'm only 6 foot tall but I find with the seat all the way back and reclined to rest on the storage bins my arms rest comfortably on the steering while.  This is fine when driving in straight lines but when I want to corner my knees get in the way as they are tucked under the steering wheel.  The wheel has been adjusted to it's highest position.

I'm finding that when I corner I have to move my leg out to make way for my hands.

I'm not too bothered by this as the same happened in my old car so I'm used to it but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this trouble and if they've found a better seat position/solution to overcome this?

I remember reading on one post someone was about 6' 4"(?)

Mike.

GSB

I think its just something us lanky sods are going to have to put up with, there really isnt the room in the car to do anything about it other than modify your driving technique. I have a feeling that the kind of thinly padded racing seats you can buy might make a bit more room for you, but then you're just sacrificing comfort and convienience for the legroom.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

have you lowered the seat all the way - im 6'1ish and although the position is not great, i dont have any real problems like what you describe.

Hope4Sun

I'm 6'2 and never really had many problems, though i believe i had adapeted to a legs open (ohh err   s:? :? s:?  , get that in before anyone else does  s;) ;) s;)  ) posistion over time from my MX5 days   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I did have the seat as low as it would go also...

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hope4Sun"though i believe i had adapeted to a legs open <SNIP>
I did have the seat as low as it would go also...

Andy

thats also how i drive - always have had to.

Anonymous

I didn't realise the seat had a hight adjustment(!) I presume it's operated by the handle which tilts the seat back as I haven't noticed any other handles? let me know if I'm wrong.

(my own fault for not reading the owners manual I guess)

I'll have a look tonight and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Mike.

Anonymous

The hight adjuster is in front of the lever to raise/lower the back, and is a big dial, that you turn to raise and lower the back part of the seat.  At least that's where it is on my 2002 '2.

Anonymous

yeah, just reach down there - you will find it!   s:D :D s:D

zud

It's getting worse... as if the "legs open position" wasn't bad enough, kris follows up with....

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"yeah, just reach down there - you will find it!   s:D :D s:D

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(sorry, couldn't resist!)
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Get ya mind out the gutter!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I've just been out to the car and I can't believe I've never noticed that huge dial before!

The seat was in the lowest position.  The dial seems a bit useless as it only moves the seat higher by about 1 inch.

Looks like I'll have to resort to driving like a hooker with my legs premanently wide open (*sorry*)

Mike.

Slacey

Quote from: "yorkie"I remember reading on one post someone was about 6' 4"(?)
That would be me!
I have the seat at it's lowest and back reclined just off the bins (I used to have it right back, but the bins rub the leather), with, as others had said, legs wide open!

Sean
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

dont worry i drive with my knees as well LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: