Who has an SMT?

Started by Zonda_, March 25, 2013, 20:51

Zonda_

How do you find them? I'm struggling with my manual due to a car crash many years ago.  I damaged my wrist which made gear changing difficult, it's been ok for a while but it's flaring back up and in my experience it lasts for a long time. I don't want to loose the fun of the roadster but a semi auto would be better. Anyone fancy a swap?
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

dj2k21

Oh no dont do it. There not the most reliable of systems. Slower too
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Zonda_

Well if this keeps up and in my experience it will, the car will have to go.  It's the same reason I bought the auto S14a
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

mrzwei

Quote from: "dj2k21"Oh no dont do it. There not the most reliable of systems. Slower too

Sorry to have to seriously disagree with that dj.

They are very reliable, so much so that if they go wrong, nobody knows how to fix them.

Whilst the 0-60 is slower than the manual, the 60-0 is much quicker so it evens out.

The real negative is if one of the three major parts (pump, actuator, ECU) goes wrong then they are about a grand each to replace.

Would I buy another one ?? Excellent system, knocks spot off the manual.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Flipside

I love mine, better than any manual I've ever driven.
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

dj2k21

How do u work out the 60-0 is quicker.? Do the smt have better brakes than a manual ?

I just dont think an auto or semi auto whatever u want to call it in a sports car goes hand in hand. Its all about being a manual for me.

I agree that you dont here that many breaking but that could be because the ratio of manual to smt is about 1000 to 1?

But as said its bad times to think if something does go its nearly cheaper just to replace the car lol
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

mrzwei

It downshifts on the button quicker than you can do it manually.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

Zonda_

Quote from: "dj2k21"I just dont think an auto or semi auto whatever u want to call it in a sports car goes hand in hand. Its all about being a manual for me.

Let's be fair,  how many sports cars are manual these days? Ferrari have dropped them,  lambo have dropped them,  cheaper cars like the GTR are also semi autos.

dj2k21

So it downshifts quicker but doesnt actually stop quicker then? Im a little skeptical that under braking from 60 in 5th gear the smt could change quicker than I could go from 5th to 1st? Obviously ive never driven the mr2 with smt but have driven a porsche and an m3 with it and the only benefit I seen was being able to flat shift. Things like traffic jams were a mare

mrzwei

Quote from: "dj2k21"So it downshifts quicker but doesnt actually stop quicker then? I'm a little skeptical that under braking from 60 in 5th gear the smt could change quicker than I could go from 5th to 1st? Obviously ive never driven the mr2 with smt but have driven a porsche and an m3 with it and the only benefit I seen was being able to flat shift. Things like traffic jams were a mare

You can't flat shift with the SMT because the ECU won't let you but there is a modification which will help.
The downshift is quicker than you can do manually. Good to be compared with systems fitted by Porsche and BMW though   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

dj2k21

Awww man so u cant do the one thing with it I liked about the paddle shift system on other cars lol damn it haha

Ok what if we compare it to a citroen c2 then lol

Anonymous

To be fair to the smt its still the same gearbox and engine the only thing different is a computer does the clutch and gear shift. I have also never heard of an smt owner wishing they had the manual version. So if I was in the op's situation then yes I would look at having an smt as at the end of the day its still the same car.

mrzwei

Quote from: "dj2k21"Awww man so u cant do the one thing with it I liked about the paddle shift system on other cars lol damn it haha

Ok what if we compare it to a citroen c2 then lol

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   That's red rag to a bull man! The wife's first motor was a Citron Dyanne, and the we bought a 2CV   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Wish we still had them because they're worth a lot more than the 2 is now   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

dj2k21

Ur not kidding its insane the prices of cars that were once considered naff haha... but seriously though I think smt might be nice in a cruiser car like a beemer 5 series but not a sports car. How many times have top gear reviewed cars with paddles and begged and pleaded they make a manual version

StuC

Top gear (tv show) is only 3 people's opinions at the end of the day though!!
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

AmeR

DJ, you've made your point - the SMT isn't for you despite never actually driving one. The OP has asked for opinions from owners of SMT Roadsters. Lets stick to topic please

Zonda_

Quote from: "StuC"Top gear (tv show) is only 3 people's opinions at the end of the day though!!

But even they concede it's a joke now.  Manual transmissions days are numbered,  technology has moved on.

dj2k21

Go for it then mate. Get an smt. However dont be planning any turbo conversions and things on the car because I don't think u can with them, think someone on here recently was looking for all the parts to convert to manual, could ask for a deal with them?

AmeR

There have been Turbo'd SMTs

StuC

I did drive an smt before I bought my first 2. Did take some getting used to and I was only driving it for 15 mins.
I would like to have another 'proper' go in one though.  :-) :-) :-)

Perhaps there is someone local to you to show you how it's done!!  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Anonymous

How im wiring my emerald should still work with an smt, the same with piggy backs will work with an smt so turbo is possible.

dj2k21

Quote from: "AmeR"There have been Turbo'd SMTs
They wont take the power though will they? I know its a diff car but a friend of mine sold his edition 30 golf because he couldnt get it passed  300bhp with the dsg box in it. I heard the boxes will take whatever a manual one will but the ecu cant cope?

AmeR

Quote from: "dj2k21"
Quote from: "AmeR"There have been Turbo'd SMTs
They wont take the power though will they? I know its a diff car but a friend of mine sold his edition 30 golf because he couldnt get it passed  300bhp with the dsg box in it. I heard the boxes will take whatever a manual one will but the ecu cant cope?

Don't profess to know enough to be honest but I do know there has been a few Turbo conversions done. Mattperformance may be better to advise if that was the OP's intended route as I know there's been a couple of TTETs done.

Back on Topic though please

s12vea

I have Amers apexi turbo fitted to my sMt a few years back and it was fantastic! Plus there are a number of TTE turbos fitted on sMt. It can be done. You always hear horror stories about sMt but until you drive one don't knock it. They add to the roadster experience. Like with any car you buy make sure the car has full service history and you should be on to a good thing. Plus the op then can still enjoy roadster ownership  s:) :) s:)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

stewart@boro

Have never driven an smt but let's consider the other alternative
You are struggling with changing gear due to physical problems with arm/wrist
I have no left elbow which results in zero flex and about 60 deg rotation of the hand( less than 25% of what it should be)
All the movement now mainly comes from the shoulder
It may be possible that with some support to the wrist may help with your problem
I am fairly local to you so if you want to chat let me know
Cheers
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

Tags: