Realistic MPG?

Started by nirurin, April 4, 2013, 18:19

Two's Company

I have access to 2 other cars and a van when i need them but the 2 is pretty practical if you think outside the box.  That has normally involved lenghts of wood hanging outside of the window!

Paul-B

Quote from: "nirurin"
Quote from: "Paul-B"Fuel consumption doesn't really come into it as it's so dependent on how I drive - a light foot gives me about 330 miles from brimful to low-light whereas if I really boot it that drops to around 280/290, and I would think the MR2 will be about the same.

I assume you meant that the mx5 would be about the same, but as far as I can tell you should get around 5-10 more miles out of an mr2 per gallon. That's 50-100 miles more per tank. It all adds up!

Though you seem to be getting 28mpg out of yours, which seems low. Unless those figures were for an mx5, then they're probably about right.

Yeah, my fault probably. After Matt rebuilt my engine and fitted a new clutch I tend to drive it like a complete loony at the moment, which probably explains the lower fuel consumption. After I've had it a bit longer I'll probably be a bit more sensible, but until then... and Matt is keeping an eye out for a 6-speed box conversion, which might help once he gets it and installs it for me.

roger

the 6 speed wont really affect consumption that much. it just reduces cruising revs by about 500. Its the heavy right foot that does it!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

dan944

Got 300 miles outta my last tank which was till the light was on for about 10 miles. Works out to about 29 mpg?? Ish. Lol.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

nirurin

How much time did you spend with your revs in the red?  s:P :P s:P

dan944

None..it stops before it gets there  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  haha. It's the first time I've driven the car in a month or so so i was driving her a bit harder than normal. But that's why I've it her. I've it my diesel tractor tank for fuel economy and normal driving. This car is purely for thrills and I still get better mpg than my mates BMW 135i m sport convertible and that's his normal car haha.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Chris H

Just done 530 mile round trip......motorway and "A" roads,60 to 80mph,averaged out at 44mpg....  s:) :) s:)

tricky1138

Quote from: "dan944"Got 300 miles outta my last tank which was till the light was on for about 10 miles. Works out to about 29 mpg?? Ish. ..

My light has just come on and I've only done 250 miles. Now I know I only drive about 5 miles to work and back again, is that the reason it's so low or do I have a problem?   s:( :( s:(
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

nirurin

I put in £30 when I bought the car, and it got me aboyt £170miles. So over 30mpg, but not an accurate test. Ill get an accurate one done soon.

tomaky

Quote from: "tricky1138"
Quote from: "dan944"Got 300 miles outta my last tank which was till the light was on for about 10 miles. Works out to about 29 mpg?? Ish. ..

My light has just come on and I've only done 250 miles. Now I know I only drive about 5 miles to work and back again, is that the reason it's so low or do I have a problem?   s:( :( s:(

Yes! i do the same last fill up was 29.2mpg for me and ill know the other fill up today.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

AndyM

Quote from: "nirurin"I put in £30 when I bought the car, and it got me aboyt £170miles. So over 30mpg, but not an accurate test. Ill get an accurate one done soon.

Fuelly.com is your friend here. I've been using it and it is useful (see link in my sig).

Filled up today after a week of normal commuting and it was 33.3
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

tomaky

Got fuelly yesterday  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

nirurin

Finally did my first proper Fuelly fill up, after doing a full tank last week and then re-filling the tank today.

And so my first official MPG for a tank of petrol is..... exactly 35 MPG apparently.

Not too bad, but I have been driving fairly sensibly on that tank, so I think there's room for improvement.

ba995

Just to add to this, I usually get 220 miles from a full tank (40l), which is from 60% city driving over humps and what not and 40% dual carriageway driving at 40-60mph. But recently did a round trip from london to Birmingham and back 264 miles driving between 60-80mph for 98% of the journey. This used up 29.7 liters which gives 40mpg.

I have taken the pre-cats out of mine, and I have a feeling this may have reduced my fuel economy.

bilze

Hello, a long time lurker here.

I've owned my 2003 facelift from new, its completely standard and I get 38-40mpg without trying. While I don't redline it in every gear nor do I dawdle about - let's say I make decent progress. Its now used as a second car and mostly gets used for proper 40 mile plus runs so there's no short run stop-start motoring, although if I remember correctly, when I used it for mixed commuting it returned about 33-34mpg..

I was looking recently at the real fuel guide on Honest John's website and the MR2 roadster returns 107% of the official Govt figures, the Celica VVT-i achieves 108%, the 2003 Avensis 1.8 VVT-i achieves 101% and the Corolla Verso with the same engine 101%. So 'our' engine does seem to have a proven potential for matching or beating the offical figures.
2003 Crystal Silver, no mods .

nirurin

Finally able to contribute something to the forum... even if it is on one of my own threads :p

I have now done three full fill-ups on my MR2 for fuelly, and the results have been:
35mpg
33mpg - bad tank that one!
And the most recent... 40mpg!

All of those are over a full tank, I didnt do a refill until the fuel warning light came on (though it seems theres actually still 10litres left in it at that point!)  So theyre around 290-340miles of travel. Very  mixed between winding country roads and motorway trips.
The 40mpg one did have a trip to birmingham and back on it though, so was more motorway than usual.
Still, not bad really!

SpeedyGonzalez

My results - probably not as accurate as the others as I only used one full fill-up + cost to work out the outcome.

So based on the simple calculator found over here  m http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml m  (the one labeled 'Real Life Miles Per Gallon') I'm currently getting 24.25 MPG for 95% city driving. This is based on a full tank which cost around £55 from empty and driven for around 244 miles.

It's worth noting however that my MPG seemed to get steadily worse the further I drove and I noticed nasty vibrations while pulling off and at low speeds. Before heading to the garage for another alignment I thought I'd have a little peruse and I finally located what was causing this - Incorrect Tyre Pressure!!!! ...on a set of Toyos on 17" alloys... One of the rear tires actually had close to 40 psi! The front tyres also had uneven psi's and both tyres on the drivers side of the car had missing dustcaps. And these were fresh tyres which had been put on by the garage - PSIs and all - I hadn't done a thing to them besides drive them on the road! Anyway I got out the compressor pump and pumped the fronts to 31 psi and rears to 33 - as advised by the same wheel garage! Added the dustcaps (£2.99 for a set of 5 from Halfrauds   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  )...

Immediately I noticed that the vibrations were gone so I'll soon be attempting to monitor the MPG again on a full tank.

james_gt3rs

So far I've had 35mpg on a tank of normal driving, and got 39mpg on a motorway trip.

Seriously impressive, I reckon you could squeeze over 40mpg with a bit of effort.

Kees

I have been monitoring fuel consumption of my 2 for more than a year now using an Ultragauge http://www.ultra-gauge.com.
The Ultragauge connects to the OBDII port and can indicate:
- momentaneous MPG (updates about once per second)
- average MPG during a trip (resets at "Ignition on")
- overall average MPG
My results sofar:
- Trip fuel consumption, depending on driving style, between 35 and 40 MPG.
- In cold weather (winter) the consumption is higher, with the trip MPG going down to 35 MPG more frequently.

Tags: