Owners Experiences and Review of BMC CDA Air Filter / Ind

Started by trickyD, April 5, 2013, 15:43

trickyD

I've done a search...

I know a few owners have the BMC CDA Airbox/ ind kit, but I haven't read any opinions.

Could anyone tell me what the noise/sound is like and any power gains?
I'm looking for some more power since I took off my Cobra Sport exhaust and lost "8bhp"  s:( :( s:(

Thanks
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

dj2k21

I love mine. Best £35 ever lol.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

trickyD

£175 RRP....so you got a deal.

Can you describe what you love about it?

Bits for sale!

dj2k21

Yeah dont buy the real one. Get the one from cbs its exactly and I mean exactly the same for a fraction of the price

Well I like that I can mount it anywhere in the bay with it being so small, I like that its carbon. I like that it weighs a fraction of the stock airbox and the fact its fit and forget as there is no sponge or paper filter in it its just metal
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

trickyD

Top tip, thanks

Bits for sale!

trickyD

According to this thread  l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42473 l  it will cost minimum £115 for the copy and the BMC ones are £150 on eBay.... Might be easier to get the BMC as it comes with all the right bits...
What you think?

Bits for sale!

dan944

I've got one and think its the mutts. Lol. Get a lovely growl at low revs.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

trickyD

Awesome  s:) :) s:)
That's what I'm after, I had a Blitz Sonic on my Civic Type R and you could literally scare animals with a quick shove of the pedal - it barked!

Bits for sale!

dan944

If you give a quick blast of the accelerator you can hear it sucking in the air like a dyson
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

trickyD

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Bits for sale!

dj2k21

Mine cost nothing near that mate. By all means go for the bmc one but for me ot was literally a few pieces of silicone hose and a hose joiner. Job done. Having said that I dont run a maf sensor .

Zonda_

I have the copy from CBS, it is exactly a carbon copy (did you see what I did there?) of the BMC.  You will need a MAF adaptor to fit it though.  I tried everywhere and couldn't find one, eventually I found this one on Amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-9405-Sensor-Mount/dp/B0035GZSP8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1365335879&sr=1-1&keywords=Spectre+Performance+9405+Air+Flow+Sensor+Mount+Tube  it's halved in price since I bought it too.  My car ticks over at normal volume and give a lovely roar as you accelerate.  Mine is mounted behind the battery low down.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

trickyD

Thanks  s:) :) s:)

I'm just not sure i like the idea of a metal filter :S
Prefer the idea of better filtration of foam or paper...

Bits for sale!

dj2k21

The metal filter is less restrictive mate. Its more or less like a metal cheese grater inside rather than something the air has to pass through like foam or paper. Never had an issue with mine in 5 years

trickyD

Could well be.
Just always gone with paper or foam myself (K&N or ITG)

Bits for sale!

dj2k21

Well its upto u mate. I just went with the one my tuner recommend for me as he believes its the least restrictive for my set up  s:) :) s:)

Aquity

First post on here, new member and will be posting pics of my new toy up soon, as regards the BMC, on the mr2 I feel the BMC is a bit pointless and no real gains compared with other air filters, The whole point of this filter is the "turbocharge" the air using the front air intake.

Imagine mounting the intake pipe at the front of any normal front engined car, once driving air will be forced into the air filter and in to the throttle body, but on the mr2 as its not possible to mount the intake on the front of the car all you are doing is grabbing air from a "colder area" using the supplied intake pipe.

so even though it looks pretty in the engine bay... and is a good filter, on the mr2 it is not really been used for its full potential.
an example of the point behind the BMC...

Zonda_

If you look at our posts you'll see that our BMC's are mounted in an entirely different place to the standard air intake. Make a big difference in responsiveness on mine.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

nathanMR2

I can agree that an intake such as this can make a difference even N/A if mounted in the right place. The PPE CAI was a perfect example of this.

An intake like this would be supported further more by a piggyback or stand alone ECU + remap. You wont ever achieve massive gains but it can make things a little more lively at least
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

dj2k21

Being honest  I dont believe your going to see any gains at all from cold air induction, the manufacturer designs the engines and engine bays to work best the way they place them. There are hundreds of myth busting videos that prove of anything you only see a loss in power to be honest.  I think its unfair to say the mr2 wont benefit equally as much as a front engined car from cold air induction, the whole design of the car is to suck air in through the side vents which probably have more open area than the front grills on most front engined cars.

The only way your ever going to improve performance is literally to cool the air and have as little restriction as possible through the filter which should have the shortest length of travel possible to the throttle body.

The only reason I upgraded to this set up was the price, the size of the filter itself, the fact it was fit and forget with it being of metal construction and it allowed for a more appealing look. I am under no impression its given me any increase what so ever in power had I not of been remapped to suit the modifications. To be honest on a standard car with factory mapping all I have ever seen from dyno plots is less power, and less fuel economy. Induction wise I firmly believe the only way to see any gains on the induction side of things is this

Individual throttle bodies
Mapping to suit

There simply is no better way on an na car that ive heard of?

Just my 2p worth though.

Zonda_

Yep, only ever seen an induction kit give more power on my 200sx

Aquity

Quote from: "dj2k21"Being honest  I dont believe your going to see any gains at all from cold air induction, the manufacturer designs the engines and engine bays to work best the way they place them. There are hundreds of myth busting videos that prove of anything you only see a loss in power to be honest.  I think its unfair to say the mr2 wont benefit equally as much as a front engined car from cold air induction, the whole design of the car is to suck air in through the side vents which probably have more open area than the front grills on most front engined cars.

No, I understand the point you are making 100%, All I am saying is the fact the intake for the BMC needs to be mounted front facing as it is in the picture to get the benefit of what it is designed for. if the intake is sat from the side intake then thats how it should be and people will see the full benefit, but for thse that have not mounted the intake there they should relocate to see its full benefit.

dj2k21

I see what you are saying yes certainly, however given an adequate cold air feed to the filter itself which does nothing than filter out ribbish it shouldnt matter if its mounted left right upbor downwards to be honest, providing there are no sharp angles in the cold air feed. To be honest your better off with just a peice of pipe with no filter goig directly into the throttle body but obviously thats not practical on everyday cars.

Take for instance your mg pictured above there, suppose your on the motorway in heavy traffic following the car infront, the car infront will not be creating clean air for you so your induction kit will be taking in exhaust fumes and turbulant air with no clean slipstream I imagine, however if you were following the car in an mr2 which takes its air from the side your receiving the clean air being created along the side of the vehicle infront, and taking nothing but air straight in from the side,  I may have gone off on a tangent here and started rambling to be honest but it makes sense in my head lol.

Zonda do you have a dyno printout with a standard filter and then another dyno run after fitting the filter? I would be interested to see that because ive never seen a gain made solely with a bolt on filter.  Usually there are other factors contributing towards it like the fact a remap was given at the same time etc. Look forward to your reply mate as im intrigued  s:) :) s:)

Zonda_

I did have but the car is long gone, when it was done the guys who rolling roaded it said it was the largest increase they'd seen purely from an induction kit.

dj2k21

Any ideas how much gain there was?

So running through this step by step

You arrived at dyno with standard filter
You did a run and made x amount bhp
You fitted the filter there and then
You did another run and showed an increase of x amount?

Im just trying to understand the situation because ive seriously never heard of gains like that before

Things that could affect it woukd be

Old filter was blocked or split anyway
Temperature change if it was done another day
Humidity change if it was done another day
Different fuel used
Serviced the car between runs
Dyno recalibrated bwtween runs

Then u get to the naughty explanations

You bought the filter from the company who dyno it? Operaters are known to fudge figured to sell products

Any input appreciated mate  s:) :) s:)

Tags: