I'm looking for a ragtop - What makes the MR2 so good?

Started by Timbo, April 13, 2013, 20:25

mrzwei

Quote from: "Timbo"JFDI? Sorry!

Just flipping do it! (Or something close to that), the tension on the forum is unbearable   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Make a decision man.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

2 of the left

I cannot believe you're still dithering - What happens when you drive up to a junction???  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

chris3boro

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   to the above 2 comments

Timbo

Hang on a bleedin sec! One minute everyone is saying "Drive both, look at lots" etc etc, the next it's "Just buy the first thing you see"   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

I've worked damned hard for my £££, and I've only been on here a week or so, give me a chance!!

2 of the left

Quote from: "Timbo"Hang on a bleedin sec! One minute everyone is saying "Drive both, look at lots" etc etc, the next it's "Just buy the first thing you see"   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

I've worked damned hard for my £££, and I've only been on here a week or so, give me a chance!!
Sorry - didn't mean to upset you - Whichever motor you go for will be your decision - BUT - when confronted with motors that have appeal you are spoilt for choice - I've always gone for reliability in a motor ( hence Japanese ) and the best there is on the second hand market is the Roadster  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Timbo

Hey, no offence taken! If you don't want the flak, don't put your head above the wall!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I really like what I've seen on the MR2 front, but I've always had a soft spot for MG. Head over heart, heart over head? It's never easy   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

wotugonado

Quote from: "Timbo"Hang on a bleedin sec! One minute everyone is saying "Drive both, look at lots" etc etc, the next it's "Just buy the first thing you see"   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

If you choose the mg i think your gonna need to develop your sense of humour too, because your gonna need it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   my old man worked at rover and hes hopeless with spanners but they let him loose on them anyway. Joking aside the build quality has never been great so it all depends what you want from the car spending weekends driving it or weekends repairing it.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

mrzwei

Quote from: "Timbo"Hey, no offence taken! If you don't want the flak, don't put your head above the wall!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I really like what I've seen on the MR2 front, but I've always had a soft spot for MG. Head over heart, heart over head? It's never easy   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

I'm an ex MGF owner, wrote it off and was looking for another then stumbled across an SMT Roadster.
One very big advantage of the MG is the club, which is steeped in history and they won't let any MG die and there will be spares forever. It will always have a very 'British' tradition and eventually I guess that will be reflected in the price.
A very big advantage of the Roadster is also this club but probably for slightly different reasons.
In terms of the design, handling, technology and looks then the Roadster has it but if you're looking longer term then the MG will probably live up to its pedigree.
JFDI   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

2 of the left

Quote from: "Timbo"Hey, no offence taken! If you don't want the flak, don't put your head above the wall!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

OMG Don't buy British - especially at this level - Your hard earned ££££'s will disappear in rectification/repair bills!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

AndyM

Why not buy a £2500 MR2 and a £2500 MGTF... problem solved  s;) ;) s;)   s:D :D s:D

On a side note...

A colleague of mine got a herself a tidy little silver MG ZR Friday last week, had it checked over my a mechanic, service history intact. Yesterday morning she rolls up in her old Hyundai, I raise my eyebrow and she just says 'head gasket'.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Bernie

TBH this is now tedious go and drive both and make a reasoned decision based on whatever floats your boat be it based on handling looks budget whatever
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

carolineasb

After looking at the MG Linky, you've got to ask why is an "06" MGTF car in tip top condition half the price of an MR2 the same age??  There's got to be a reason.

I only know one person who has had MG TF from new.  My husband (trained many moons ago on BL/MG/Triumph/Landrovers etc) shook his head when he heard he had bought it.  Needless to say, 3 or 4 engines later it's gone to the scrapyard in the sky!
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Timbo

Quote from: "bernie11a"TBH this is now tedious go and drive both and make a reasoned decision based on whatever floats your boat be it based on handling looks budget whatever

Sorry if I'm a burden to you, so far everyone has been very helpful.

loadswine

On the face of it, the MGF does look like a good buy. It looks good, has a decent interior, has good parts and modifications available and it is a good chunk cheaper than an MR2. This was exactly what went through my mind 9 years ago when looking. I opted for the MR2 in the end, because as soon as I sat in one, I just knew it was right, and had to have one. I'm now on my fifth one and not regretting the choice. It was all very subjective on the initial choice, but glad I went for the Roadster. I didn't have a lot of technical info or opinion back then, but the MR2 won me over just by experiencing it.

I don't think there is much more to add over what has already been posted by everyone, so next step really is experiencing the cars themselves. That is good fun and hope you enjoy it!  s:) :) s:)  I loved hunting around for my first one.   s:D :D s:D
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

trickyD

I can't see any appeal in that "cheap" MGF on the link.
I might sink £300 into an MGF as a toy (a friend was recently given one!)

My MR2 cost £300 more than that one and is amazing!
2003, 70k miles.... So it's hardly a basket case

They are chalk and cheese IMHO....
Like comparing a £5 bottle of fiz with Champagne!
 s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Timbo

Thanks Guys, really appreciate your thoughts.

I'm off up country next week on business, so may try to stop off and look at a couple on the way. If anyone knows of anything along the M5/M6 corridor, anywhere from Taunton to Warrington, that would be worth cutting my teeth on, give me a shout.

donnac

I would consider the tf as well at that price, the head gasket once repaired properly will last a long time and spares are cheap and easy to get hold of.  The mg rover scene are also a good friendly bunch as ive discovered with my VVC metro.

It's easy for people to jump on the band wagon with 'oh don't touch mg rover' 'head gasket' etc etc but most have never had one and are just regurgitating others.

The mr2 suffers from the same rumours with the oval bore pre cat issue, that's probably why the arse has fell out the mr2 market, at the end of the day if the car is fixed properly then what's the difference, plenty people have higher mileage pre facelifts and have had minimal issues for a older car,

Drive both the mr2 and the mg and decide then,

Good luck and let us know how you get on   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:
2002 Blue Roadster

K T M Rider

People buy cars for lots of reasons, some are rational, some emotional.

Other than possibly luggage space, I can think of no rational reason to buy a £2500 MG TF over a same price MR2.

My guess is that the 2006 MG appeals for emotional reasons - you like the badge and the fact that it is "only" 7 years old.

We can only really help you with the rational buying reasons on here   s:) :) s:)  though once you get an MR2, you WILL get attached to it !
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

trickyD

...plus last time I looked this was an MR2 forum, so don't expect too much gushing over a deceased old British marque...

Bits for sale!

Mightyquin

This is an MR2 forum so it should be no surprise that we'll all tell you to buy the MR2!

Some of us have driven the MG and some of us have owned them. That should tell you something.

I like the looks of the MG and it is a bit more practical to be fair. Personally if I were to buy one now (based on my knowledge from looking and learning of the potential faults) I would spend as little as possible - it's pretty easy to find decent MGF's for well under £1K, and at that price if you can easily budget to spend a bit of money on the engine if necessary. Spend £3K on an MGF/TF and you'll most likely still have to spend money on the engine (for modifications to prevent HGF if not for HGF itself).

You take your choices, you pays your money.

trickyD

+1

Bits for sale!

Timbo

I know! I'm sure I'll be as smitten once I see a couple, then I'm sure heart will follow head!!

As I said before, if anyone knows of anything nice along the M5/M6 corridor (Taunton/Bristol/Birmingham/M6/M56) then I'd take a look on way up north on Monday.

Bernie

So put us out of our misery have you got out in anything yet ?
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Anonymous

Really hope this isnt a sign of things to come if he does get an MR2, can you imagine the length of threads on deciding to change the indicators to clear,cloth seats to leather etc.

shnazzle

Just decided to read this topic. If you haven't already made a decision, I had a slightly different approach to getting the MR2

Needed a 2nd car to get me to work. Wife's choice this time.
Started looking at a Nissan Figaro. Too expensive for a 20 year old car.
I remembered this "MR2" I saw in a car show in 2001 I believe.
Autotraderd it, went to see one. Bought it on the spot. 2002 pre-facelift. The one with all the "issues"
No service history. Engine light on. 4 different tyres, with rears the wrong size. All 4 brakes needed doing completely.
Drive home: plastic fell off the bottom.
2500 (yes I overpaid by about 600-700) wasted?

2 months on now, and my wife and I couldn't love the car any more!!! Fixed brakes and tyres. Been on one MR2ROC meet and rally.

So...if you can even buy such a sh** specimen of an MR2, on a whim, with NO research, and STILL love it to death.....imagine what a 5k well-researched specimen will do for you.  s;) ;) s;)
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: