To Super or Not to Super

Started by Anonymous, July 15, 2003, 12:48

Anonymous

I know this has probably been discussed in the forum... but are there any significant advantages of using Super U/L over normail U/L?

My '2s normal tipple is either BP or Sainsbury's on 95, but this morning, as I've run my tank dry, I decided to give the 97 BP SuperGreen a whirl (frankly, anything with the Green word in can't be high performance!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).

First impressions, at low engine speeds, there wasn't much to separate them    s:( :( s:(   but at higher engine speeds, then it's pretty good.  80 to 100 was quick enough to put a smile on my face   s:D :D s:D  (Sorry, I'm not usually that reckless, but had to accelerate away or face getting squashed between a truck that's just pulled out and a guy who wasn't going to overtake me on the outside!)

Are my experiences reflective of those whose use 97 regularly?  Also, anyone know who supplies Sainsbury's?  Why I ask is that they stock Super too....

Martin

Slacey

I've recently been running on Optimax, and have noticed a little difference in performance, I'm getting slightly better MPG as well. I'm going to reset the ECU at the weekend, and see if there is a difference or not after it has re-learned again.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I'm going to reset the ECU at the weekend, and see if there is a difference or not after it has re-learned again.
How do you do that?!?

Slacey

Easiest way is to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or so - but don't forget that if you do you will lose your radio presets!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

mph

Unless you have tuned your engine otherwise, there is NO advantage to use super than regular unleaded.

Note however there IS a difference in using 'brand' fuel, as compared with 'supermarket'. This is to do with the additives that supplement the fuel and nothing to do with either the octane nor the calorific value of the fuel served.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"Unless you have tuned your engine otherwise, there is NO advantage to use super than regular unleaded.

Note however there IS a difference in using 'brand' fuel, as compared with 'supermarket'. This is to do with the additives that supplement the fuel and nothing to do with either the octane nor the calorific value of the fuel served.

Great news, means I can still use Texaco unleaded and not lose my beloved club points   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

haha... no prizes for guess why i go to BP and Sainsbury's....!

Doesn't the supermarkets by their petrol off either one of the big refinies? Exxon/Shell/BP/Caltex/TotalFina

In the past, I have found that Texaco/Caltex was pretty good.  But I've recently heard a lot of favourable noise from the Shell Optimax camp.

Would be interested to know if anyone's clocked 400 miles on a tank?  I do 350 miles a week to work in my '2, so it doesn't matter if I have to drive like a grand-dad every now and again.....

Martin

Anonymous

Quote from: "max1s"Would be interested to know if anyone's clocked 400 miles on a tank?  I do 350 miles a week to work in my '2, so it doesn't matter if I have to drive like a grand-dad every now and again.....

Martin

I do 400 miles round trip home to Cambridge on a regular basis. '00 lagoon blue and '03 island green both managed on a single tank of Optimax.

Mike

Tags: