Wrong place, wrong time and bumper damage

Started by AndyM, May 20, 2013, 14:36

AndyM

Hi,

I was driving into Wales yesterday and while on a dual carriageway and wing mirror fell off a people carrier and hit the car in front, broke up into a couple of big bits, one of which then hit my car.

I had a quick check over at a services after it happened and couldn't see anything major (I was concentrating on the tires as I was concerned about a puncture). However, I've just been looking at my car over lunch and it turns out I missed something fairly substantial (I'm honestly not sure how) on the bodywork.

Basically the debris has gouged out a line in the bumper scoop and smashed the plastic grill. I think a piece may have hit the radiator as well as it looks dented but isn't leaking (and no overheating problems). No bits of it are actually rattling around in the cavity.

So couple of questions...

1) What is the best way of me fixing up the damage? I presume it'll be a sand back, filler, sand, prime and then respray on the bumper? Are there any less drastic ways to patch this sort of thing up?

2) Zunsport do a front facelift grill I believe? (think it was in the charity auction at Ding Day). Is this a straight bolt on swap?

Thanks,
Andy

s:( :( s:(

Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Anonymous

Zunsport grill attaches on top of the original.

dcod

Quote from: "M R 2"Zunsport grill attaches on top of the original.

I'd suggest it's a great time to put in a nice looking grille too   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

These are rear ones but shows how they are attached.

l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=39098&p=463495 l
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

AckersMR2

Just to let you know in case you were thinking of just replacing the plastic grill, you can't get them, they are part of the bumper and have to be bought as one  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I know daft isn't it? So unless you can cut one off a breaker your stuffed, best stick a Zunsport over the top.

I think you can buy the grills for the PFL bumpers but the FL ones are part of the bumper (expect a small section in the middle)
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Don't look bad in the pic. You might be able to just get it touched up.

nathanMR2

Ive got some 15% off discount codes for Zunsport if you didnt get one on Ding Day Andy?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Topdownman

Ouch!
Sorry to hear that Andy.

Not sure if this will help

MOD This is the commercial email address for a previously banned club member, so I have removed it. MOD were breaking a sable car a few weeks ago (I know because that's where my bonnet came from the day before I bought my car) in case they have a front bumper?

Of course it could be Gods way of telling you to buy shiny bits??

Cheers.

Simon.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

ray835

a good excuse for SWMBO to get some zunsports grilles   s:D :D s:D
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

AndyM

s:x :x s:x    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   Having one of those days today. My en-suite burst a pipe while the missus and I were are work and flooded which then leaked down the ceiling/walls of our recently finished the living room and dining room.  s:( :( s:(  Emergency plumber has just left with a chunk of my exhaust money.

Anyway, the front of my car... Thanks for the replies chaps. The cut into the bumper is a bit worse than it looks in that photo, it has sort of cut into and under itself so there is almost a small flap of plastic.

Think I'm going to get myself a Zunsport grille to clip over (Nathan, I think I have the voucher but will check) and may look at doing a bit of a self fill, sand, spray job on the bumper as a temporary fix (my bumper is getting hammered with daily motorway chips anyway and it's quite low down). Not done anything like that though so might want to pick some brains on how to get as nicer finish as possible.

May look at a proper respray at some point (or replacement) when my wallet is feeling a bit heavier.

Cheers, think it might be time for a whiskey.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

eynonz

Ah that sucks, and know how you feel. Within the past two months I've had to replace one rear bumper, and I'm currently carrying a damaged front bumper. Both were damaged by people who are unable to park (It's worse that they just drive off without leaving a note or anything   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  ). From the looks of it, could have been worse, and in a more noticeable place.
*BLUE 2002 PRE-FACELIFT* - Markiii Pipe - Longlife Exhaust System - "The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings" -  Unknown Brand Front Strut Brace - More to come \";)\"

dcod

Quote from: "eynonz"Ah that sucks, and know how you feel. Within the past two months I've had to replace one rear bumper, and I'm currently carrying a damaged front bumper. Both were damaged by people who are unable to park (It's worse that they just drive off without leaving a note or anything   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  ). From the looks of it, could have been worse, and in a more noticeable place.

Within 6 months, I had to have a new rear bumper, refurb my front bumper and have 2 new headlights ... for the very same reasons.

AndyM, I know the feeling, I've had car money diverted to other things so many times, I've lost count.   s:( :( s:(

Tags: