Roadster

Started by Anonymous, July 15, 2003, 17:28

Anonymous

What defines a Roadster?

Anonymous

I think its a rear wheel drive mid/rear engined sports car?....thats how they classed it on 5th gear

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"I think its a rear wheel drive mid/rear engined sports car?....thats how they classed it on 5th gear

i find they say its a roadster if it also has a softtop.

Anonymous

Thought the term was used on car models that only come as convertibles.

Anonymous

Simple, Roadster = 2 door, soft top.
Doesn't matter where the engine is. Must be a 2 door and 2 seats only.

ie, MGB Roadster.

Anonymous

Yeah the engine doesn't have to be mid mounted.  The MX5 is a Roadster.

Anonymous

Isnt the low driving position a contributory factor for a proper roadster?

Anonymous

Quote from: "elfin"Isnt the low driving position a contributory factor for a proper roadster?

If it is the mx5 doesn't qualify, had a drive yesterday and the driving positions not low, not compared to the 2 anyway !

Anonymous

Been a while since I've been in a normal car now, I've forgotten with the '2 is low or not.

Anonymous

Phil, compared to a "normal" car, the '2 is VERY low! My gilfriend has a Clio and every time I get in that to drive, I feel like I am sitting ON it instead of in it! Its VERY different. I used to have Mk1's andI used to thing they were low, but the '2 is a LOT lower than those. The only car I have driven so far that is lower is the Elise! That is almost horizontal!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Phil, compared to a "normal" car, the '2 is VERY low!

This is roughly what my friends/relatives say when they fall into the passenger seat (or struggle to get out).  I guess I've just got used to my bum being a few inches off the ground.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"
Quote from: "John Woodward"Phil, compared to a "normal" car, the '2 is VERY low!

This is roughly what my friends/relatives say when they fall into the passenger seat (or struggle to get out).  I guess I've just got used to my bum being a few inches off the ground.

tell you what, its harded to get out the passenger side (as i found out at the weekend)... when driving you have the steering wheel to use to help you get out and you dont notice it, but from the passenger side its a lot harder to get out.

Anonymous

Ditto, my Megane was much much higher in the driving position, it feels like I'm exerting way too much effort positioning my body whenever I open the door to get in/out in the MR (such a struggle)  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

umm I always thought a roadster was a car that had been specifically designed to be a drop top eg mr2 mk3, mgf, boxster, mx5 etc . As opposed to a convertible/cabriolet which is a hard top with the roof cut off as an afterthought eg celica, bmw's, golfs etc.

The supposed advantage is that the designers start off with a specific plan in mind and can overcome problems in the basic design stage rather than bodging a leaky soft roof onto a car that now weighs as much as a tank due to all the extra bracing needed to stop flexing (celica, bmw, etc etc.)

so it is a good thing to have a roadster, lucky old us!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Tommyboy, I know this is slightly off topic, but what does "UUUUUUUUURRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTZZZZZZZZZZZ" or whatever it is mean?

I think I have an idea, but I want to know the real meaning before I make a fool of myself............  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

UUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!

Is a Berkshire drunken roar, short for "You Royals"
As in "Come on you Royals!"
Royals = Reading FC, the GREATEST TEAM
in Berkshire ie unfortunately not that great.
See Avatar on left.

I live in Brighton now though, had a great time watching them implode this season.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Sorry to introduce football onto the message boards!

Maybe I should have said it was the new air intake/exhaust combo on my '2

Anonymous

Well, that has completely clown MY theory out of the window!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I thought it was a martial arts command!!!! When I studied Karate, it was one of the calls that the teacher used to make when counting us in reps!

I started to use it when I started teaching too. I have NO idea why I would think someone else would know what I was talking about!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tags: